5.0 out of 5 stars A REVIEW OF THE BOX SET ITSELF.
Let's face it, the stories and subject matter of the episodes themselves have been discussed and reviewed at length in reviews of the previous releases of the series, therefore I shall concentrate this review on just the new box sets themselves, and of course on the new remastered and completely re-worked CGI effects (FX) contained in them.

First of all the box...
Published on 27 April 2009 by Bertie Buggerington

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but questionable quality...
Of course the original Star Trek series is fantastic, so I will not review THAT content. As a Star Trek fan these are an enjoyable and essential addition to any DVD library. However...

This set of DVDs falls flat on several fronts. The sound quality varies substantially (negatively) from one DVD to the next. I have tried them on 2 separate DVD players, so it is...
Published on 9 July 2009 by Mr. J. Hayes

5.0 out of 5 stars A REVIEW OF THE BOX SET ITSELF., 27 April 2009

First of all the box set packaging: The unbelievably slimline sets arrive in fancy steel cases, with artwork as pictured in this listings. Inside the steel case is a plastic DVD case the likes of which I'm starting to see a lot more often, of which I believe they refer to as a Scanavo 'brick' style case. Basically it is like a very fat version of an Amaray case that can hold up to 8 DVD's in a very small amount of space - two discs each set inside both the front and back of the case, and a fold out 'leaf' that can hold up to two discs on either side of it - in the case of season 1 there are the full 8 discs. The actual spindle/lock mechanisms that keep the discs in place are very strong, and it is quite hard to get the discs out without bending them....it can be quite fiddly at first, and somewhat of a strain. I believe after a little bit of use they should loosen up a bit, making it easier to get at the discs.

Now the episodes themselves have never looked better. I believe Youtube is a great source of side-by-side comparisons of the original FX and this all new, completely re-worked CGI FX. But let me tell you what I think...the new CGI looks astonishingly good. I believe CBS Digital purposefully never utilised the full capability of today's CGI wizardry, as if it came out looking 100% photo realistic, it would be jarring for the viewer when it went from space CGI FX to the live action sequences...which let us not forget was all shot in the late 1960's. So they had to strike a balance, and for me they got it spot on. The new CGI blends beautifully with the live scenes. So, gone are the slightly wobbly models of old, hello to stunning new CGI ships with their fluid and more realistic animation. Gone are the old star fields and planets, hello to new CGI based star fields and planets - both of which actually do look photo real to me. Space and the ship models are not the only area to benefit from the new CGI - some of the the old flat matte painting backdrops that feature cityscapes and what-have-you have been replaced with new CGI ones. These CGI backdrops have much more depth and detail to them. They are very welcome indeed. Elsewhere you will spot other subtle touch ups, one of which I liked was the ending of the season 2 episode 'Catspaw'...where no longer are the alien creatures dancing around on string....the string is no more. For me that typifies why they have done this work...as quite simply it makes the series look better. Simple as that. Let us not take anything away from what was achieved back then, as I love Star Trek just the way it was, as I'm sure do you, but let us also not kid ourselves.....Star Trek The Original Series has never looked better than this.

All in all the work compliments what they achieved back in the 60's, and let us not forget that what they achieved back then was stunning and state-of-the-art for its time, but I firmly believe that had Gene Roddenberry been able to use today's technology, he would. Therefore I would like to think he would approve of the work done here. After all, nothing of the stories and subject matter have been changed, as George Lucas did with his restoration of Star Wars...it is purely a lick of digital paint. And if this is what it takes for the series to appeal to a younger generation of fans raised on mindboggling CGI, then I for one approve whole-heartedly. I've heard of dads trying to get their kids into TOS, only to see them giggle at the FX of old. No longer will that be the case, and TOS is now ready to accept a whole new legion of young fans that will no doubt have their interest sparked by JJ Abrams new movie. If purists do not like the FX, then by all means....go to eBay and buy the previous DVD releases if you don't already own them. Personally I now own both versions, and I am a huge fan of both. If I could only take one version of the sets on a desert island with me, however, these are the sets I would take.

Aside from the new CGI FX, the actual prints themselves have been cleaned and restored to beautiful effect. The true colours of the show are now very much in evidence...including a subtly green skinned Mr Spock, which comes as a big surprise to a lot of people...as this just never came through on TV or on previous releases. Kirk's once dull mustard coloured uniform shirt is actually a subtle lime green colour, for example. Nothing has been falsely created to acquire these colours....they have always been hiding away waiting to be revealed. At first I was worried this all wouldn't come through so much on the DVD versions, as they had first been reported in the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD reviews, but I can attest that the standard definition sets also benefit greatly. Of course the details will sing and dance a lot more in HD, but for SD DVD prints these are simply stunning. All hairs, dust and whatever else have been laboriously removed to leave them literally gleaming. The prints are, in a word, immaculate. If you use an upscaling DVD player with a HDMI connection, as do I, they look even better still. A great halfway house between bog standard SD and full HD.

Some fans may be a little sore that once again the episodes are presented in air date order, as many fans seem to prefer production order...but as TOS has always been episodic in nature, with no particular story arc to speak of, this doesn't bother me at all. I've always found watching in production order to be quite novel....but the novelty soon wears thin.

As regards special features (as listed on the packaging of Season 1):
They include: 'Billy Blackburn's Treasure Chest' (rare home movies and special memories), 'Spacelift' (transporting Trek into the 21st century), 'Life Beyond Trek' (William Shatner), 'Reflections as Spock', 'Sci-Fi Visionaries' and 'Star Trek Beyond the Final Frontier'...and "much more" (which I guess means that there are more features than this, although that is all it actually lists on the box). So it appears that the bulk of the features included on the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray sets have remained intact for their DVD counterparts. One thing that never made it over would have actually been impossible given the capacity restrictions of the DVD format, and that was having a choice of both the original FX and the new CGI FX, which I know the Blu-Ray format gives you via fancy seamless branching. I am sure there are a small few other features that Blu-Ray has that would have been impossible on DVD, but rest assured that all the important stuff (documentaries, featurettes, interviews and what-have-you) from the HD releases are all present and correct. This is excellent news to those fans, like myself, not ready to make the jump to HD.

As regards audio and language specifications:
The audio languages are: English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. The bad news however is that only English is Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, and the rest are mono. I have run it through my amp to test that it isn't a misprint...I'm afraid not, it is Dolby 2 channel mono on all but the English track. This will be a shame to many as I know that lots of German fans in particular bought the slimline sets of TNG, DS9 and VOY here on Amazon UK (cheaper)....which I believe all contained a German 5.1 Dolby track. Subtitled languages on these new sets are: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish and Swedish.

So there you have it. A fantastic DVD release. Easily the definitive DVD release of the original series. I bought all three seasons, and I am so glad I did. I had already managed to see a few of the restored episodes before now, but to own them all in my own collection is quite a feeling. I whole-heartedly recommend that you order all three. I can assure you, you will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise ..., 23 Oct. 2009
There have been a number of complaints about the packaging, content and visuals, some of which aren't quite accurate. Just to give those of you who have yet to buy this a clearer picture I will address some of points raised by others:

"The episode list isn't included in the packaging"

The episode list is included. The episodes are clearly listed on the inside on the front and back covers.

"The episodes aren't even in the right order"

Well, this depends on what you mean by 'right order'. The episodes are not organised by stardate, so from that perspective, no they aren't. However, the episodes follow the original order that they were aired, so from that point, they are in the right order.

"The first episode 'The Cage' doesn't even feature in the boxset at all."

Technically, wrong on both counts. 'The Cage' was a pilot episode which never actually aired during the original run of the series during the 60s. The first episode to actually air was 'The Man Trap' on the 8th Sept 1966. 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' is in fact the first episode of series 1 with regards to both its stardate and production date. However, Despite this, the DVD boxset does actually refer to it as episode 2. The only character to survive from the pilot to 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' is Spock. In addition, 'The Cage' practically features in its entirety in the two part 'The Menagerie' so you wont miss out.

"The remastering and GCI looks animated and worse than the original"

Firstly, there is nothing 'animated' about the appearance of the remastering or CGI. It is a vast improvement or the original and yet fits in very well without looking out of place. The fact is, this is not the original. It is the remastered edition, so there is not much that can be done unless you can get your hands on the older now out of print DVD boxsets.

"The packaging is no good"

Well, if you have bought some of the other Star Trek series, which are almoght entirely in the 'slimline' format, you will know that it is no thrills and fairly flimsy. This however comes in a tin casing which houses a sturdy plastic case. A vast improvement on 'slimline' if you ask me!

And as for the viweing? After having worked my way from TNG to Enterprise I decided it was time to revisit the show that started it all. It has not disappointed so far and I am looking forward to Series 2. Well worth watching!

5.0 out of 5 stars STEP INTO THE UNKNOWN, 10 Mar. 2012
Kelvin Dickinson (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In a very real sense, this is the one I was 'saving up for'. I own all three remastered seasons of the original STAR TREK but only the first is on Blu-ray. Why? Well, I kind of wanted just one major treat (in its current best possible showcase) so, for me, it became a case of choosing which season had the most magic and created the most impact when I was very young. In the end, emotion won out to cold, hard logic...

I love the fact that the first season is clearly finding it's feet (a problem for some fans, admittedly), that everyone involved is giving it absolutely everything they've got and, in the majority of episodes, all that effort really does show - the whole venture feels like a hugely exciting and entertaining step into the unknown. The second season, on the other hand, is a little more "Ain't we doin' good, guys?", a touch of ego, smugness and better restaurants, alongside the expected hike in confidence. As a consequence, it's a little less likeable. Only marginally, but still. The third season...well it tries hard, but it can't quite shake off a very real sense of fatigue and disappointment at the imposed budgetary contraints and a dismal network-scheduled timeslot.

The first season on Blu-ray is also beautiful to look at; the acting, the dialogue, the lighting...it's all first rate and leaps off the screen at the senses. And, of course, the wonderful new CGI. That's why it (my decision) makes perfect sense. Just one on Blu-ray, the rest on DVD. No dilution of the magic and a major treat by any other name. Anyone who's read my other reviews on seasons two and three will know how I feel about Star Trek, and why it remains the best tv sci-fi ever.

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED - A FEW CHOICE MOMENTS...

ERRAND OF MERCY
Refusing to divulge information regarding the Federation's military strength, Kirk instead tells his Klingon captor, Kor, to "Go climb a tree". Superbly delivered by Shatner, I think we know what he's REALLY saying here.

THE NAKED TIME
As the Enterprise plunges towards Psi 2000, an (alien spore) intoxicated Lt Kevin Riley has taken over the intership communications from another deck and is broadcasting (repeatedly) his dire rendition of the Irish 'classic', 'I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen'. Uhura cannot silence the comms and Kirk is furious, so he tells her off. She instantly returns with, "Don't you think I would if I could!" and the captain is suitably chastised. A pause, then he apologises, to which she smiles, instantly forgiving him. The issues of authority and friendship (and stress!) are beautifully played here, rendering the moment incredibly subtle and effective. These are the little things that make Star Trek special.

THE GALILEO SEVEN
The extended laughter of the entire bridge crew as Spock acknowledges he is a stubborn sod moments before the end credits begin to roll. It's either a complete cheese-fest OR an inspired piece of character-enhancement. Yeah, well it's the latter, ok? Ever the optimist.

THE MAN TRAP
A fatigued McCoy contacts the bridge and asks Kirk for advice on how to relax a bit. Kirk recommends the same tablets prescribed to him by the good doctor on a previous occasion (they must have worked but had really unpleasant side-effects as he's clearly still narked about them). "You'll sleep", he says, before abruptly cutting off the comms screen.

WHAT ARE LITTLE GIRLS MADE OF?
Ruk is a seven-and-a-half foot tall android killing machine. In the caves below the surface of Exo III, Kirk gets into a fight with him and snaps off a strange, yet familiar-shaped, stalactite as a weapon (cue eyes popping out of sockets as incredulous years-later teenage recognition kicks in: "OMG, it looks like he's weilding a HUGE, fossilised p-!") Definitely not something you'd wish to see in the wrong hands...

Roddenberry strikes again. God Bless Him.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

5.0 out of 5 stars Why we continue to watch, 22 July 2004
This review is from: Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
One of my earliest memories is being terrified of the puppet head in The Corbomite Maneuver during its first showing in the UK - I have been an unrepentant fan of the series and its spin-offs since then.
While at times the acting was hammy, the plots ridiculous, the special effects laughable, there is a sincerity to the writing that conveys Roddenberry's vision of a more-or-less Utopian future (certainly for the human race) better than the later franchises. What will be lost now is the daring quality that the show had when it was first released, with plot lines addressing relevant social issues, thinly disguised as SF and fooling only the censors. This sincerity gives the show its timeless quality, and the sometimes unsuccessful attempts to maintain these same standards have made the series, and the franchises that followed, watchable over its extended lifespan.
No comments on the technical aspects since the disks are on pre-order, but if you have even the remotest interest in Trek then the cleaned up episodes alone make the purchase price well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The original, with a new lick of paint, 7 Jan. 2014
Carl Mawson "Phoenix heart" (Worksop) - See all my reviews
I have been a Trekkie since I was a small boy, watching the repeated episodes on BBC2. It defined my childhood. And now here we are, thirty-odd years later and we have a "remastered" edition of the classic science fiction show. After the mess that George Lucas made with his multiple 'remasterings' of the original Star Wars trilogy I was understandably concerned when I heard of the project that led to this DVD set.

Thankfully the team involved here have not made such errors and the changes they have made work well - from the obvious replacement of the space based effects sequences to little things like adding greater depth to the background of planets, these changes were clearly made by people who loved their job. Although I love the original effects, as a child of the 80's I noticed even then how limited they were (especially as I watched Star Trek reruns alongside Star Trek The Next Generation). The changes made here largely do not affect the story telling (and sometimes enhance it, such as in season 2's The Doomsday Machine, where the episode relied on dialogue originally to portray concepts such as taking a starship in tow these are now shown as well) and bring the effects up to a standard that will appeal to a younger audience. People - myself included - have praised the recent movies for bringing new fans to Star Trek, but this remastered edition did that as well - I know many younger people who laughed at the older "silly" (their words, not mine) effects. But these have changed their views on the series that began it all, surely a good thing.

Some have commented that the new effects look "fake" - well, guess what? So do the original effects. So do the effects in nearly all science fiction. The quality of the modern effects are not the best that were possible at the time, but they are some of the best for a TV project. And they retain an image quality and slight graininess that matches the live-action footage very well. The result are modern effects that fit in with actors filmed all the way back in the 1960's. It's a remarkable accomplishment worthy of praise, not scorn.

My only concern is that the originals should also remain available, consumers deserve the right to choose which version of the product to purchase - to do a George Lucas and make the originals unavailable would be a grave error.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beam on down!!!, 12 Feb. 2005
Anyone who thinks that Star Trek is boring will be changing their views after seeing this collection. 29 episodes in all, and only one of them is a dud ('The Alternative Factor', if you can watch it without getting confused you've more brains than me!) Aside from that one, every episode is worth watching. My particular favourites are 'Where No Man Has Gone Before', 'The Corbomite Manouver' and 'Miri', three superb stories, and there are many, many, more. The great thing about the original series is that it is fun and entertaining, not filled with all the 'techno-babble' that made some of the follow up series, especially 'voyager', tedious. Beam on down, it really is great fun!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovingly And Respectively Remastered - Adds A Whole New Dimension To Star Trek, 28 April 2009
Jervis - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I think it's fair to say i'm a traditionalist, which pretty much means i'm stubbornly of the opinion that Star Trek worked best in its original sixties format whether that may be style, colour, dramatic storylines, choice of music, etc. and even down to the special effects - well certainly those relating to the look of the Enterprise. True, the Next Generation's effects were far more elaborate and fancy, but for me their Enterprise never really had the kind of gravitas afforded it, it was so wrapped up in effects, almost to the point of appearing just a touch cartoonish (in my opinion). Maybe this is the reason i felt a little wary of the new remastered version of the original series, especially considering many the old effects had been replaced by more up to date technology. I really needn't have worried, however, because these new features only seem to enhance what the original effects could only have dreamed of, because ultimately they stay true to the spirit of the original series. The stock scenes of the original series which were repeated time and time again have now given way to fresh more state of the art scenes which are pretty much exclusive to each of the storylines individually. This adds no end to the scope of the show, especially in the episodes where special effects appear prominantly, and it gives Star Trek that extra dimension it could only ever have dreamed of at its sixties outset. Even the music has been re recorded, but again it has been done so with a great deal of love and respect for its original style. In fact the new music aspect is hardly noticeable aside from the fact the music has a much fresher and cleaner feel to it.

Aside from the new effects, the first season of the original Star Trek series is arguably the best in terms of possessing consistently strong storylines (Season two was perhaps the greatest in terms of developing the characterisation more fully). There's a greater attention to detail within the scripts than what was to come later (season three).

Generally this DVD set opens up a whole new dimension to Star Trek without ever jeapodising the original vision of the show. The show has been handled with genuine love and affection by those who have been assigned to work on its upgrade, and also with considerable respect. For that i cannot voice my appreciation enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Re-release!!, 7 Mar. 2011
My review is based on the Bluray release and not the DVD release. For some reason Amazon combines reviews of both formats of the same release. I personally do not agree with this as the difference in final products can be quite different. In the case of Star Trek the original Series Season 1 on Bluray there are certainly some advantages of going with the Bluray release vs. the DVD. I will cover that shortly.

I was a bit hesitant at first when I heard that the remastered re-release of Star Trek TOS was digitally enhanced. By this I mean that the special effect shots of Space scenes and the Enterprise's Bridge View screen scenes were altered with modern CGI effects replacing the original. To add to this, the overall picture quality of the series was cleaned up. We have seen how some digital enhancements in the past were not always favorable. First that comes to mind is the Star Wars 4-6 movies. I still find it difficult to forgive George Lucas for removing the original Ewok song at the end of Return of the Jedi. With that said, I was pleasantly surprised by the end result of this re-release of Star Trek TOS. Some reviewers have made remarks regarding the high costs associated in purchasing this series. I personally think the price is very reasonable considering how much work has gone into enhancing and restoring this series. They even went to the trouble of rerecording the opening theme song with an orchestra to deliver it in HD quality. Fortunately they did a good job at making sound as close to the original as possible.

The disks are presented in a sturdy plastic box where they are securely held in place with a number of different disk holders. The box also comes with a cardboard cover. The only gripe I have with the case is that the episode list is printed on the inner cover sleeve. This makes it hard to read the print especially when the disks are in their place. To read the list on the back part of the case you actually need to remove the final disk from its holder. This is not a deal killer but it would have been nice if it also included a separate episode guide with pictures and synopsis. An just a word of warning, there series is played in order of TV air date, not production date. Some may find this a bit strange but the decision was made to deliver the series in this order. If you are buying Season 1 to watch the original Pilot The Cage then you will be disappointed to know that it is not included. You will need to purchase the Season 3 box set as The Cage was not aired until sometime in the 80's if my memory serves me correctly.

The Bluray menu looks quite nice and fairly easy to navigate. From here the viewer has the option to view each episode in its original untouched format or in the new Digitally enhanced with CGI format. I personally have been enjoying watching the series in the new enhanced format as it is fantastic and tastefully done. Not only are the CGI effects a nice touch but the clear images of the original scenes have been remastered and look very clean and sharp on my 50" Panasonic Full HD Plasma. For example, a close up on Captain Kirk I can clearly see the fine lines, wrinkles and skin pores on his face. The series is presented in its original 4:3 format which means if you have a wide screen TV you are going to get black bars on the side of your image. I think it was a good choice to stay with the original format as the only way to overcome this is by cropping the original picture or stretch it. Viewers have the option to switch modes whilst watching each episode by selecting the Angle button on their Bluray remote. A great piece of Technology delivered by the Bluray format that DVD does not offer. The same can be said for the audio. The Bluray will allow users to switch from the original Mono soundtrack or the new 7.1 HD Surround. Both sound really good however I did notice that the sound levels were a bit low. I had to increase my volume to hear the voices properly. Not a major issue just means you need to boost the volume on your TV or Amplifier when watching this particular series. Other than that it does sound very good.

The first disk comes with some bonus material and a documentary on how they produced the re-release of the series. They discuss how they implemented the new CGI effects, new theme song recording etc. Also included are the TV aired previews for each episode. Other than that there is not a great deal of bonus material included.

Overall I think this is a great investment especially if you are a Trekkie. I purchased the original DVD release box sets years ago and can honestly say that this is a great improvement. This is not just a reprint on Bluray but an enhanced version of the original. And of course don't forget that you are also getting the original untouched version of each episode in this release. I highly recommend this the Bluray release and hope you enjoy it as much as I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly remastered., 2 Mar. 2009
The remastered original trek episodes are fantastic, so much attention and love has gone in to them and it shows when you watch them, the new added effects look amazing and yet still look like they belong.
The negative reviews are unfair as they are not reviewing these box sets but are un happy with the fact that the HD ones are no longer in production because blu ray has won the war. I also bought the HD box set but I chose to do so before the victor came through now that's my fault and no one else's. I have not got money to throw away and am upset at having to now try to sell my other set but I will be buying these sets with out fail.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Season of the Original and Best Star Trek Series, 16 Nov. 2014
The original and best of the various Star Trek incarnations and, in my view, the best of the 3 seasons of the original series. What made the original series work so well was the wonderful chemistry between the characters - all now iconic in terms of world culture and science fiction. My only beef with the digital remasterisation is that the viewer does not have the choice to watch in original format or remastered format. It would be nice to have the choice...
Here is my personal review of the first season:
'The Cage' (never aired at the time) - Jeffrey Hunter plays a handsome but rather stiff Captain Pike in the first pilot episode which was later used to create the 2-part 'The Menagerie'. Of interest historically but thank God they made the changes they did for the actual series.
'The Man Trap' - what an opener to the most amazing sci-fi series ever. It's clever, it's sexy, the script is top-notch, with a classic 'shape-shifting/enemy within' storyline that was later used in movies like John Carpenter's 'The Thing'. Probably one of my favourite Star Trek episodes of all time, not just of the first season. Definitely in my 'top 5' of stories from season one.
'Charlie X' - an interesting take on the pain of adolescence but Robert Walker Jr plays 'obnoxious teenager' just a little too well.
'Where No Man Has Gone Before' - the second pilot for the series (aired as the third episode of season one) is closer to what we know and love but Spock still looks slightly odd. The dashing Gary Lockwood plays Lt Gary Mitchell who develops superhuman powers when the Enterprise encounters a mysterious barrier at the edge of the galaxy. Lockwood would later play Frank in Kubrick's '2001', the character despatched by Hal into outer space.
'The Naked Time' - a nice science fiction twist to our age-old obsession with plague and infection, as a deranging virus sweeps through the Enterprise. George Takei has said that this is his favourite episode, perhaps because he gets to do a Kirk and take his shirt off.
'The Enemy Within' - the first of several good and evil dichotomous alternative reality storylines, thanks to a transporter malfunction, with the Mr Hyde version of Captain Kirk getting all fresh with Yeoman Rand. There is a nice touch too that without our `dark side' we become weak and indecisive.
`Mudd's Women' - the first appearance of the intergalactic con-man who is transporting a cargo of female humans, made to look more beautiful than they actually are by use of the illegal `Venus drug', in an entertaining story.
`What Are Little Girls Made Of?' - an android story with Ted Cassidy (`Lurch' in the original TV series of `The Addams Family') playing a rather creepy henchman.
`Miri' - a clever take on the tension between childhood and adulthood, the first story in the series to use children as the central characters to the story.
`Dagger Of The Mind' - a story dealing with madness and insanity, with Morgan Woodward (who would later play `Punk' in `Dallas') playing an escaped inmate from a rehabilitation colony pioneering an unorthodox treatment for the criminally insane. The first story to feature the use of the Vulcan Mind-Meld.
`The Corbomite Maneuvre' - another of my `top 5' stories of the first season, in which the crew of the Enterprise pit their wits against the mighty Balok, with deception being the name of the game on both sides. Balok was played by a young (and over-dubbed) Clint Howard - brother of Ron, who would later appear in `The Waltons' and go on to become the famous film director.
`The Menagerie' Parts 1 & 2 - a clever use of the `story within a story', with Spock on trial for mutiny, using footage from the original pilot.
`The Conscience Of The King' - a great 'who dunnit' story, cleverly combining Shakespeare with more modern notions of genocide and war crimes.
`Balance Of Terror' - another of my `top 5' from the first season, the first appearance of the Romulans, who have a new weapon in their age-old war with the Federation. Cleverly alludes to the cinematic tension and drama of submarine warfare.
`Shore Leave' - an unforgettable story with the crew of the Enterprise unwittingly caught up in a planetary amusement park. Very 1960s.
`The Galileo Seven' - another of my `top 5' from the first season, with some wonderful characterisation as Spock, McCoy, Scot, and four other crew members are trapped on a savage planet after their shuttlecraft is forced to land. The first appearance of the shuttlecraft in the series.
`The Squire Of Gothos' - a highly entertaining romp with the dandy `Trelane' making an unforgettable appearance.
`Arena' - another iconic story, with Kirk getting his shirt ripped off him as he does battle with the mighty Gorn. The first story to be broadcast in colour in the UK.
`Tomorrow Is Yesterday' - yet another iconic story, with the Enterprise travelling back in time to contemporaneous USA, a device later used again in `Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home', posing all those wonderful questions about our ability to change the future.
`Court Martial' - this time it is Kirk on trial with a clever `who dunnit' story and that recurring Star Trek theme of humanity versus the computer, with Elisha Cook giving an excellent performance as the lawyer charged to defend the captain.
`The Return Of The Archons' - one of my least favourite stories of the first season, with a sort-of `Amish' feel to the cult of `Landru', but it all feels a bit messy and unpolished as a story.
`Space Seed' - yes, the original appearance of Khan, who would later return looking for vengeance, with the wonderful Ricardo Montalbán as the superhuman villain.
`A Taste Of Armageddon' - a very clever and allegorical take on the insanity of warfare with two civilsations engaged in conflict via computer and deaths carried out by citizens being selected to walk willingly into disintegration booths.
`This Side Of Paradise' - another very 1960s themed story with the crew of the Enterprise turning on and dropping out thanks to the spores of flowers growing on a Federation colony.
`The Devil In The Dark' - William Shatner's favourite episode with a nice twist on a creature in the dark story. Shatner's father died as filming began but he insisted on finishing the episode. What solace did he get in this story of a dark menace turning out to be nothing to fear?
`Errand Of Mercy' - the first appearance of the Klingons, battling with the Federation to gain hegemony over an apparently primitive culture.
`The Alternative Factor' - one of my least favourite episodes of the whole original series. John Drew Barrymore was originally cast to play the character `Lazarus' but he didn't show up on day one of filming so Robert Brown was quickly hired in his place. The episode feels as if no one quite showed up, including the writer.
`The City On The Edge Of Forever' - definitely in my `top 5' from the first season, and one of the most memorable of the entire original series, with Joan Collins playing an anti-war protester amid a controversial script revision that is troubling to this day.
`Operation Anihilate!' - a fantastic end to season one, with Spock leading the battle to find the weakness in floating organisms that attach themselves to the brain causing extreme pain.

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [DVD]
Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [DVD] by Herschel Daugherty (DVD - 2004)
Used & New from: £11.99