II

5.0 out of 5 stars Two words: BUY IT!
I've been a huge fan of The Calling ever since I bought their album on whim after hearing Wherever You Will Go. I wasn't disappointed by Camino Palmero;it's one of my favourite CD's and I certaintly am not disappointed by II.
Published on 17 Jun 2004 by orlis_apple_tart

3.0 out of 5 stars A distinctly average follow up...
Most people only remember The Calling for the song "Wherever You Will Go" from their debut album.
However, in 2004, Alex Band & Co released this record to rather different commercial and critical success.
Published on 3 July 2009 by Mr. N. J. Henderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Two words: BUY IT!, 17 Jun 2004
This review is from: II (Audio CD)
The Calling's sound and song-writing have both developed and as a result II is a much more mature album. I was surprised by the subjects that the songs cover; The Calling's songs are about suicide, hope, self-belief which I find refreshing considering that in the UK we are used to cheesy pop songs with stupid meaningless lyrics.
One By One = Could be about a variety of things although I perceived it as being about suicide. Has a great intro and is fantastic rocky start to the album. One of my favourites.
Our Lives = The first single has a very optimistic outlook about living life to the full. Is good to listen to when you need cheering up as it's very positive.
Things Will Go My Way = Possibly my favourite song on the album although it's hard to decide! This song is my equivalent to Stigmatized and Could It Be Any Harder as I can listen to it countless times! Beautiful lyrics and beautiful arrangement as well as fantastic vocals. Love it!
Chasing The Sun = Very catchy, summery song which will get your feet tapping. Probably the only proper 'love song' on the record but still very good.
Believing = Although this isn't as catchy as some of the other songs, Believing is another one of my favourites. The lyrics are so inspiring and Alex's vocals are really touching - made me knees go weak the first time I heard it!
Anything = Another great song. Very catchy with great lyrics and a fantastic rocky 'vibe' to it. The acoustic version is absolutely beautiful too.
If Only = The first time I heard this, I was a bit dubious from the opening seconds but now I love it. A bit of a darker sound maybe but once the chorus kicks in you'll be hooked.
Somebody Out There = Not one of my favourites but still a great song nonetheless. I find the lyrics very intriguing - about faith and God, which makes me appreciate the song even more.
Surrender = Ok, the first time I heard this I actually blushed! Fantastic song, another one of my favourites! Sorry to keep babbling on about the lyrics but they really are fantastic here and the song is mega-catchy.
Dreaming In Red = A very pop/rock song, more poppy than I am used to from TC but is still very catchy although I have no idea what it's about!
Your Hope = Incredible, inspiring, thought-provoking, emotional ... just a few words to describe this song. I think many people will be able to relate to it and it's just beautiful.
For You = Taken from the Daredevil OST, it's not one of their best songs but the acoustic version is great and a nice addition to the album.
London Calling = Was originally done by Clash, a good song, good vocals.
All in all, this album is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. Although very different from Camino Palmero, it is a fantastic follow up and shows how Alex and Aaron have matured. It may take a few listens for the tracks to grow on you and to properly appreciate how magnificent they are, but once you do you will be blown away. I highly recommend II to everyone who loved Camino Palmero and to everyone who loves good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop reading these reviews and BUY the damn thing!, 12 Feb 2006
M. Beckers "kikumbob" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: II (Audio CD)
Ever since I heard "Wherever You WIll Go" on the radio, The Calling have remained my favourite band to date. Maybe its the fact the type of music they play is perfectly in tune with my mind, or just the brilliantly rich vocals, but every one of this band's songs have failed to displease me.
Camino Palmero was packed with songs that ranged from the uplifting anthems to the solitery acoustic. It was tremendous. In their second attempt, The Calling seem to have exploited the uplifitng anthems more than anything, and they've done it to near perfection. Every single one of these songs were worth the time to just repeat a second time. On the few occasions I've played the album in a public place almost everyone looks up and listens. It catches the attention. The vocals rival that of Chad Kroeger's from Nickelback. I can only assume the record label was lazy on advertising, since I had only heard of this album after searching for Calmino Palmero after hearing Wherever You Will Go on the radio. Its a shame these guys have been wasted...
There isnt one song in this album that stands out by itself. But if I was pushed, I would go for the single Our Lives and the song Things WIll Go My Way. Both are fast paced and Things WIll Go My Way has the most amazing bridge.
I'm not going to list each song and rate them seperatly because I would end up with a straight 4-5 star list. No one can really descibe this album in just words. If you are reading this and found your way to this page, I'm 99% sure buying this album will be worth your while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!, 29 May 2004
This review is from: II (Audio CD)
I've yet to own this CD for 24 hours but already, it's a favourite in my collection, right beside Camino Plamero. Being a huge fan of The Calling, I might be a bit biased but it just proves how good this CD really is, I had extremely high expectations and this album does not disappoint at all. This album is unlike any other albums of the moment, there are two love songs on it whereas Camino Palmero was brimming with them. The themes on this album are a lot darker but it is ultimately an uplifting record that will put a smile on your face. It tackles such issues as domestic abuse, suicide and self doubt all the while doing it in a way that will have you wearing out the CD from playing it too much and singing along with it the whole time. The Calling are in their element here with them being co-producers and having a lot more creative input into the album. Alex Band's distinctive and unique voice will have your heart melting while the skillfull guitars and precussion will make you truly appriate Aaron Kamin, who is often overlooked but is crucial to the Band's success. The album definitely has a rockier edge to it than Camino Palmero but all the songs coud be turned into a radio hit. Make no mistake about it, The Calling are a rock band, even if they have some pop loving fans, but they are the kind of rock that anyone can listen to and you better get used to it because you will be hearing a lot more from them. Camino Palmero set the standard now with II, the band are picking up the pace and going a step further. If they continue on like this, their next album will have ten stars and already i can't wait to hear it! All i can say is this album is a masterpiece, it is essential and it is unbelieveble, everyone should have a copy of it. i cannot wait to see them live in Birmingham this summer, it'll be the concert of the year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't sure then WOW!!, 27 May 2004
Julz (Wokingham, Berks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: II (Audio CD)
Having been a huge fan of Camino Palmero, I couldn't wait to get hold of Two. I've had it about a week now and it's been playing constantly in my car ever since. For the first 2 or 3 plays, I really wasn't sure if I was that taken by it (apart from Our Lives which I'd already listened to many many times), but then on the 4th or 5th play, all the tracks seemed to suddenly grab my attention. Now, I think it's an absolutely brilliant album and well worth the wait. It does seem to have a different feel about it, compared to Camino Palmero - some tracks remind me a bit of Jazz or Blues bar music - don't know why! If you're not sure about it when you first hear it, listen a couple more times - it will suddenly click.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two?! More like Five (stars!), 31 May 2004
J. Lovatt "Raven Elf Tinjot" (Abingdon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: II (Audio CD)
Like what you've heard from The Calling so far but unsure of whether you want to purchase their latest album or not because quite frankly, you're wondering if it could ever live up to all the hype that the "they're a rock band - honest" fans are spouting at you?! Well, you're reading the right review!
Make no mistake, I am a huge fan of this band, but I fully understand, that like anything in life, the extremely talented Aaron Kamin and Alex Band (and they're keen to plug that there's just two of them this time around) are only human, and as such do have flaws!
If you're looking for another 'Camino Palmero', then 'Two' probably isn't for you. Their debut may not have been released until 2002, but the album was recorded when vocalist Alex Band was a tender 18 years of age, and the majority of the songs were written when the boys were a lot younger. As such, beautiful as the songs may be, they feature a certain degree of the naiivety that all teenagers (including myself) possess. The boys certainly aren't approaching middle-age yet (in fact, they're both still in their 20's), but from the moment you hear the first words of 'Our Lives' (the first single taken from the album), or 'One By One' (the first track on the album) it's apparent that they have matured significantly.
Gone are the idealistic lyrics and relatively simple chords that make up songs pondering about issues such as a lost loved one as in 'Wherever You Will Go', gay marriages as in 'Stigmatized', a past partner you'd rather forget as in 'Adrienne', and beggars as in 'We're Forgiven'. 'Two' is a much more realistic and positive record. If you've heard 'Our Lives' you'll have realised that the boys believe in slowing down long enough to appreciate what you've got, and the rest of the album offers ways to do this and suggests circumstances that are worth remembering for the rest of your life.
My instant favourites are 'Believing', 'Anything', 'Things Will Go My Way', and 'Your Hope'. As with 'Wherever You Will Go' on 'Camino Palmero', I think 'Our Lives' will probably only climb high on my list once I hear it as an album-track rather than a slightly over-played radio single.
'Camino Palmero' features some of my favourite lyrics of all time, and some songs that hold a very special place in my heart, but just as Band and Kamin have come a long way since they wrote those eleven tracks that just about everybody can relate to in some way, I'm a slightly different person too, and appreciate the every-cloud-has-a-silver-lining approach to life that 'Two' offers. While this record recognises that life isn't always easy, especially in 'Somebody Out There' and 'Your Hope', it does provide the inspiring message that you should always believe in yourself and make every moment count. I hope Band and Kamin are listening to their own advice, and enjoying the upcoming success of this truly great disc filled with music.
This UK version features the same two bonus tracks as the 'Our Lives' single: an acoustic version of the song The Calling wrote and recorded for the motion picture Daredevil 'For You', and their cover of The Clash's 'London Calling'. The artwork on the cover may not be as pretty here as in the USA, but the two additional tastes of The Calling's magic certainly make up for it.
As well as all of the above, 'Two' also offers you the opportunity to see what the band's new management has does for them(something tells me he's a bit of a perfectionist), to hear Band playing the keyboard (on 'Believing'), and if you're not an obsessive fan, to hear the voice of Kamin for possibly the first time (on 'Your Hope').
In short: If you loved 'Camino Palmero', then you'll love this because it's even better, and if you didn't, then you'll love it too because it sings a different tune. So click "add to shopping basket" right away and buy 'Two' today!

5.0 out of 5 stars it will grow on you!, 14 Aug 2005
This review is from: II (Audio CD)
to echo some of the other reviewers, i also bought CP on a whim after hearing 'wherever..' and loved it! absolutey one of my fave albums so knew i would buy 'II' as soon as it came out - and on a first listen i was a bit disappointed - hey it was alright, but it didn't blow me away, it sounded a little samey, and i didn't really listen to the lyrics - so anyway it sat in the back of my cd collection whilst i got into maroon 5 etc, and i dug it out again only a couple of weeks ago and stuck it in my car - and now i have been blown away... don't want to go thru each and every song, but its all good (no fillers)- i agree the tempo isn't the same as CP but the depth is and it makes a great change to the schmaltzy stuff we get in the UK - the UK masses may not have cottoned on to TC yet- but at a bargain price definitely worth adding to your cd collection! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars A distinctly average follow up..., 3 July 2009
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: II (Audio CD)
Lead single Our Lives really failed to grip the public, and although worldwide sales of II reached a modest 1.5 million, its not a patch on their multi platimum debut.
Musically, II is very much of the same chart rock music, trouble is the songs just rather plod there way along, nothing really stands out.
Don't get me wrong, II is not a bad listen but all the way through I was just waiting for that classic rocker or that moody ballad to really hit me, and it never did.
By all means pick up this record if your a fan of modern rock, it'll sit very nicely alongside others in your collection.
I just feel as though that play button might not be pressed as often as you might think.

One final note, Alex Band released his solo EP in Spring 2009, you can download it online if your willing to look hard enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word "Brilliant", 17 Oct 2004
This review is from: II (Audio CD)
Well what can I say "The Calling" have yet again produced a true masterpiece, a new album that is even better then their first Camino Palmero.
The album TWO has something for everyone whatever mood your in, it has your rock and your romantic tunes!!!!
My favourite song from this album is "Anything" when you sit and listen to the words you can just imagine Alex is singing it to a loved one, it's a masterpiece. And a very romantic "If only" runs a close second.
It's also got your uplifting songs, Dreaming in Red, Our Lives, Chasing the Sun. The list of brilliant songs is endless.
I couldn't recommend a better album, so if you liked "The Calling's" first album go and buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars HELL OF AN ALBUM!, 1 July 2004
This review is from: II (Audio CD)
The Calling have finally returned following a 2 year exile from the music industry and it's been worth the wait! II is one of those feel good albums, admittidly not as catchy as Camino Palmero, but the music boasts high quality lyrics, sweeping guitar hooks and Alex's raw, husky vocals. Below is a synopsis of all the tracks:
One By One- loved it as soon as i heard it. Rocky intro, v. strong vocals and sinister lyrics. The song is about suicide which sees Alex and Aaron explore more adult themes. Very good opening track
Our Lives- i always find their hit singles to be the most boring on the album- Wherever You Will Go wasn't bad but i always skip it on Camino Palmero. Our Lives has a strong message and builds on nicely from One By One- the production is good but the lyrics are average. Still a good song though.
Things Will Go My Way- Alex rocks :)his voice sounds brilliant on this song and Aaron's guitar work oozes talent. Lyrics are again, positive and i think relate to the band's success- like when they first started out and the record company locked them away for years.
Chasing The Sun- T.C CAN do happy songs. It has an amazing guitar solo near the end (kudos to Aaron)and Alex sounds gr8 as usual. Lyrics are full of imagery- it doesn't sound like T.C, which is good because it shows how they can adapt. It reminds me of an Ace of Base song (i'm not weird ;)) but just because it's vibrant, upbeat and happy- perfect for long summer days on the beach
Believing- starts off very slow, but builds into an anthemic chorus, one of my favourites on the album.
Anything- o.k, the lyrics are a little "cliche" but this song is catchy, Alex doing the usual routine of singing about how he'd do anything for the love of his life. No real guitar solo though.
If Only- This song is an antithesis, the verses are quite dark but the chorus blooms into a positive account of how love will find everyone. Reminds me of Could It Be Any Harder, except happier. It sounds different to most of the other songs though. But i definitely think it's my favourite track.
Somebody Out There- blew me away, has religious elements but the combination of cellos and raunchy guitars make it worthwhile. This track is classic Calling at their v. best :)
Surrender- :\More one for the ladies obsessed with Alex- the song is intimate and perhaps too personal- obvious sexual connotations but u don't need me 2 point them out! Good opening and very catchy. I thought this song was funny when i first heard it ut that's probably cuz i'm male ;P Honestly, Alex.
Dreaming In Red- bass, bass and bass. i like bass and this has a good bassy intro and is very catchy- Alex and Aaron are good at trying out new things
Your Hope- a rather sombre track which sounds good following such an upbeat one. This is all pianos, strings and haunting vocals. Aaron is heard for the first time but Alex still shines as a vocalist, reaching those high notes (how?) This is probably the darker side to T.C but it still has a positive message.
Overall, II is aural pleasure, it's a rock album, but easy to listen to and you don't have to be into rock music to enjoy it. Alex and Aaron have followed from their debut beautifully and II should give them the credit they deserve. Two talented guys- you can't call yourself a fan unless you own this. In addition, T.C should compliment bands like Lifehouse, Nickelback, Matchbox 20 and The Goo Goo Dolls. If u like those bands, try The Calling!

5.0 out of 5 stars can you say... amazing?!, 2 July 2004
This review is from: II (Audio CD)
ok, firstly, i wanna say to Louis Pattison (spelling!) that i think he's crazy thinking that The Calling are (in summary) mediocre!(spelling!) also, he says that they're similar to other bands as if it's a bad thing... and furthermore, if he'd had actually listened to the lyrics he'd have figured out that "Somebody Out There" is actually not about domestic violence as it may first appear... having listened to that song several million times (slight exaggeration :P)it's about whether there's a god i.e "somebody out there"... a very deep and philosophical question if you ask me!!! at least that's how i read it, and i'm gonna justify it in case poeple don't see it. firstly "somebody out there" is a pretty generic, jokey reference to god. secondly: "she's on her knees/ And beeging please" which is easily seen as praying. and the bit in the second verse regarding death, "if it's part of our lives/ so beautiful and preciosu/ then she know's that she shouldn't be afraid" why? because of God! and thirday the last verse is written as if it's spoken directly to someone else: ie God!"there's times that she hates you/ There's times that she loves you/and hopes you might nderstand/ it gets hard down here...etc" that's the main reasons, and i apologise for boring everyone... i'm an english student!!!
anyways! the whole album rocks!!! i can't really express how much i love it! i was at a radio concert thing only a couple of weeks ago and tho i'm biased i really believe that i am right in saying that out of all the acts there The Calling got the best reception by far! their music reaches people off all ages because it mixes so many different styles, sounds and themes. moreover, the music itself often reflects the song itself, for example in Chasing The Sun you can hear the car moving, the wheels turning. and in Surrender you can hear the bouncy anticipation, slight uncertainty and final resolution of falling in love with someone for the first time.
What The Calling produce is really ineffable, and i know that what i have said doesn't really express how good the album is or how much i love it. The term "It Rocks" certainly comes to mind but unless you pick it up for yourself and really listen to it, and i mean REALLY listen to it, you will never truly appreciate it,and you will never understand it. and to appreciate it you really must understand it.
so check it out, because you can tell how much effort went into it, and it's worth every single penny! and a few million more! so if you're looking for an album which you can listen to in the car, while your doin homework, or housework, or if you're just chillin'.. in pretty much any situation this album will fit and suit your mood, so just buy it, someone you know will like it even if you don't! and they'll play it till you like it too!

II
II by The Calling (Audio CD - 2004)