5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent nerve-shredder
If you read all the blurb written about this film, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a Japanese ultra-violent "Fatal Attraction" clone. After all the plot is deceptively simple - middle-aged widower looks for new love, holds fake audition, meets girl, girl becomes mysterious, girl gets nasty...
However, "Audition" is a dark masterpiece, drifting effortlessly from...
Published on 9 Sept. 2002 by P. Sanders

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing or something?
I was surprised to read a review of this film that looked upon its structure as `a lot of 'nothing finished of by a disgusting, disjointed ending'. Having seen the film I understand how you could draw such a conclusion but I feel the point of the film has been missed if you simplify such a daring structure into those basic terms. I thought the films strongest point was...
Published on 21 Jun. 2007 by J. M. Ashe

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 14 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite know what sort of film it's trying to be, 20 Feb. 2007
W. Chau "Chemistry Undergrad" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
Okay, Audition. *sighs*

Firstly I have to say that for the most part this film was one of the most boring I'd ever seen. In the first 50 minutes or so there's not much going on to say the least. A lot of chitchat and such but no action or anything that might shock you. Then towards the end there's some confusing intervention by some new characters, followed by what appears to be an LSD induced trip and finally a scene resembling the Saw films. This film is confusing and leaves you asking Why? Who? And how? You just don't really know for sure what's happened by the end or indeed what's happened in the past.

Some people think that this is a classic japanese film but I'm not so keen. At some points it's trying to be a romance story, then at the end it's like a slasher, except without the horror. That's another thing - at no point did I actually get scared while watching this film. So if you're looking for horror then look somewhere else. The actual gory scene at the end was very disappointing and the level of gore has been too hyped up. For a film where there is a lot of pointless chatter for the first hour, you'd at least expect the grand finale to last a while longer. Sadly to say, it doesn't.

In conclusion if you buy Audition then what you're basically getting is a romantic melodrama followed by 10 minutes of gory torture at the end. Nothing is resolved and the screen goes black. Great. =/

1.0 out of 5 stars Most boring few hours of my life...and thats saying something, 18 April 2011
Amazon Customer (Stevenage, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audition (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
this film suffers from the typical hype asian horrors get, everyone goes wild over it but if someone in the UK did it they would just be called weird. This is not a good movie, its barely even a horror, okay for a start, its only really kicks off in the last 10 minutes, up till then you will be seeing a drama film at its worst, then it goes from a love story to just plain weird.

Massively over-rated in terms of gore and only really has one gory scene in the entire movie.

If your into asian horrors then give it a go, you may like it but theres a good chance you wont.

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of a night in my life!!!, 1 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Audition (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This has to be the worst film I have ever watched!!! I can't believe other reviewers have rated it so well, I'm just so glad I rented it and didn't waste money buying it!
I thought it had a very weak storyline, it was SLOW, SLOW, SLOW until the last 5 minutes, which I then thought was just sick and unwatchable!!. There were so many times my boyfriend and I were tempted to switch it off to rid us from the boredom.
I was cheated by the recommendation that if one enjoyed the RING, one would enjoy this? I don't think so! It did not have any of the qualities of being atmospheric, spine chilling and on the edge of the seat, which RING achieves beautifully.
PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, 14 Mar. 2006
S. Pegg (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audition (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
Please don't believe the other reviews of this film, it is NOT the best film ever. It's truly awful. I'm a BIG fan of Asian cinema and enjoyed Ichii the Killer, but this was very slow, had a very weak storyline and the last 15 mins were ridiculous. Very dissappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, Miike Sucks!, 25 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Audition (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
Starts slow, interesting to a point with some atmosphere then becomes boring then completely disgusting and horrible. I kicked myself, I promised I'd never watch Miike movies. He is nasty sick little man. Yuck. If you want to see someone acting out their twisted torture fantasies in a legal fashion then this is the movie for you. This tripe shouldn't be acclaimed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Overated, 5 May 2005
This review is from: Audition (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I bought this film on dvd after reading a load of reviews and I was a little disapointed, dont get me wrong this film is good but it was overated, I did feel a little creeped out after watching it but most of the film was boring. Overall good concept and worth buying if you wanna see a good horror flick

3.0 out of 5 stars hire it, 31 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Audition [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
dont belive the hype the film drags and the scene at the end is not as good as everyone makes out you will only probably watch it once i brought it on the recomendation of everyones reviews on here.... gutted

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont Bother, 29 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Audition (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I am a huge fan of Asian Extreme Films, but i have to say this is bloody awful. Dont believe the hype, it's not ground breaking its brain draining...the best/worst (however you view asian gore) bit includes knitting needles near the end of the film...yet still its not worth enduring the whole thing just to get to watch it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars FRICKEN FABULOUS, 2 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Audition [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
THE BEST FILM IVE SEEN IN AGES!!! I SAW THIS FILM FIRST ABOUT 6/7 MONTHS BACK BY CHANCE WHILE FLICKING CHANNELS AND SUDDENLY CAME ACROSS IT ON CHANNEL 4. I LUVED IT, EVEN THOUGH BY THE END MY GUT WAS WRECHING, AND I WAS LEFT IN A DISTINCTLY VOMIT INDUCED STATE. I FELT SICK,
I USUALLY LAUGH AT SUPPOSEDLY "SCARY/HORROR" MOVIES CHURNED OUT BY HOLLYWOOD WHICH I FORGET 4 HOURS LATER.
THIS FILM HAS BEEN ENGRAVED INTO MY BRAIN, THIS MOVIE CAUSED MY BRAIN TO CREATE AND CONNECT TO NEW NEURONS! I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO FORGET IT.

THIS IS THE FIRST MOVIE THAT LITERALLY HAD ME CRINGING AT THE "KIRI KIRI" SCENE. WHICH THAT TERRIFIED ME ESPECIALLY AS IM PETRIFIED OF NEEDLES.
IVE JUST RECEIVED THE DVD TODAY AND I MUST SAY, I STILL LOVE IT.
AS U MAY HAVE ALREADY READ THE SYNOPSIS FROM OTHER REVIEWS, THERE IS NO NEED FOR ME TO GO OVER THE PLOT.
I AM NOW AWAITING THE DELIVERY OF "ICHI THE KILLER" AND AM HOPING THAT IT WILL COME CLOSE TO OR MAY BE EVEN SURPASS THE QUALITY OF "AUDITION". ALTHOUGH IM NOT SURE IT WILL BE ABLE TO, WE'LL HAVE TO SEE.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the worst film ever produced, 1 Feb. 2006
Mr A S Crute (Trowbridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audition (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I think this film can be summed up as follows:
- First 45 minutes: dull dull dull dull. Oh, and did I say DULL!
- Next 45 minutes: The editor chopped the film up and threw it back together in any-old order. Nothing makes sense. Dull.
- Next 15 minutes: Sick sick sick sick... and I don't mean the "street" definition of sick. It's just plain sick!
- Final 5 minutes: Just when you hoped you may be rewarded for suffering this rubbish by having it conclude and make some kind of sense... no such luck. It just finishes.
To call this film a steaming pile of horse manure would be an enourmous insult to horse manure... come to think of it horse manure would be much more enjoyable to watch for 2 hours!

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 14 | Next ›

Audition (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2001]
Audition (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2001] by Takashi Miike (DVD - 2004)