on 10 September 2008
I bought this record on a whim, because I remembered hearing the song "one of these days" when I was at school, and was completely blown away. Every song on here is brilliant, and epitomises the NWOBHM sound.
They sound to me like a very fresh and zestful Steppenwolf meets Thin Lizzy sort of sound - with Lynotish vocals , and belongs in the same area of NWOBHM as bands like Diamond Head and Mythra I think.
Several different singers appear throughout this exhaustive anthology, giving it very varied feel. I think this band have a certain poigniance and depth which sets them apart from all the other bands of this genre, and makes this one of favourite albums to listen to when I'm feeling down. My favourite songs are one of these days (of course) - one of the best riffs ever! stormchild, man and machine, change your mind, the dualists - which manages to be swashbuckling and nostalgic at the same time and features one of the best solos I've ever heard in my life, and jealousy which has yet another different singer who sounds like Ian Gillan. I also like long way to Hollywood - which is cheesey and fun, and sounds like Motley Crue before Motley Crue! with another singer who sounds like a NWOBHM Vince Neil(don't let that put you off though!
Overall this is one of my favourite records, and if you find yourself on this page please get it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse