4.0 out of 5 stars No 'difficult' second album problems here...
B00025ETIW - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge - My Chemical Romance
Geoff Rickly, frontman of Thursday, mixed My Chemical Romance's debut LP, and without wanting to sound overtly cynical, their almost instant recognition was perhaps attributable to Rickly. Nevertheless 'I Bought you my Bullets...' was a fine album in its own right: raw, angry and energetic...
Published on 14 July 2004 by Mr. A. J. Pearce

3.0 out of 5 stars A few excellent tracks but too many bland ones.
There are some fantastic tracks on the album that have enjoyed chart success,but there are more filler tracks to my taste.
Published 11 months ago by Graham K Field

4.0 out of 5 stars No 'difficult' second album problems here..., 14 July 2004
B00025ETIW - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge - My Chemical Romance
Thursday's last release, 'War All the Time', exhibited many of the flaws endemic to the whole post-hardcore genre, there were certainly some excellent tracks such as 'Steps Ascending', 'Marches and Manoeuvres' and 'Asleep In the Chapel', but on the whole, the album was too-refined: a somewhat diluted version of the masterpiece that was 'Full Collapse'. However with their sophomore effort, My Chemical Romance have managed to avoid the trap that Thursday fell-into: the production on 'Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge' is brilliantly, and quite deliberately crude, the songs still brim with persistent energy and the lyrics are sinister and engaging.
It is to their great credit that My Chemical Romance manage to sound effervescent without sounding 'poppy' enough to alienate hardcore fans. There are as many screams as sing-along choruses, and they even manage some impressive axe-work too on 'Thank You For The Venom'. Sitting on the fence can be a dangerous tactic, but here it works nicely, the more accessible moments mitigate the cathartic riffs, the frenetic tempos and Gerard Way's semi-screaming.
Despite the seemingly mandatory inclusion of a slower song ('The Ghost Of You'), and a short interlude song, (imaginatively titled 'Interlude'), the album maintains a high quality throughout. 'I'm Not Okay (I Promise)' tears along at a crazy pace, which becomes almost metaphoric for the borderline-insane lyrical content. Like Thursday, the lyrics are a non-stop barrage of vivid poetic images (despite Way's protestation "Sister, I'm not much a poet, but a criminal"): 'Cemetery Drive' is at once morbid and compelling, 'You Know What They Do to Guys Like Us in Prison' conjures dark sketches of crime scenes and album opener 'Helena' is a tear-stained obituary. It's all very stylised and, for want of a better word, rather arty. But brushing aside album sleeves and words, My Chemical Romance have produced a blistering post-hardcore record.
'Three Cheers...' breathes life into what is rapidly becoming a tiresome and bromidic genre. My Chemical Romance's coarseness and dynamism will help to ensure they are not labelled as pretenders to the Emo throne, and at least on a vocal level they sound more like a good old fashioned hardcore-punk band rather than would-be bandwagoneers. Any fears of a bigger label pacifying their sound have clearly been allayed, and we can only hope that their future output is of comparable quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars My chem rom's best album, 2 Aug. 2007
T. Fitzpatrick (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (Audio CD)
I think this second offering from My chemical romance is their best album yet - better than their most recent offering "The black parade", which i also rated 4 stars. There are several really good/strong songs on here that could have all been released as singles in their own right. The songs are hard to classify but are probably best described as catchy pop-influenced emo with somke goth/punk/metal influences. Standout tracks include "I'm not okay", "you know what they do to guys like us in prison" and my personal favourite "give em hell kid." I would say that you shouldn't knock this band until you've tried them as they are surprisingly good with several very catchy songs on this album. In short, i would say this is a must for anyone who enjoys any of My chemical romance's other stuff and it is a good place for anyone new to the band to start with. Buy it now if you like band's such as aiden or funeral for a friend. Best served loud!

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Cheers for Sweet My Chemical Romance!!, 28 Mar. 2008
Nicola Vasey (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (Audio CD)
This is the first My Chemical Romance album I ever bought and I fell in love with them. Not only does it have an awesome cover design Gerard Way has such an infectious and catchy voice and the music and lyrics are incredible. Altogether the perfect recepie for an album.
The songs are all marvelous but the songs I recommend the most would be Helena (track 1), To The End (track 3), I'm Not Okay (I Promise) (track 5), The Ghost of You (track 6) and Thank You For The Venom (track 9). Most people label My Chemical Romance as being a whinny, miserable emo band but that's just not true just listen to Give 'em Hell Kid (track 2) and you'll see what I mean. An awesome album!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Three cheers for My Chemical Romance!, 4 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (Audio CD)
The title really speaks for itself...Actually take that back, don't listen to me and go out getting revenge on people who you hate 'cos you think it's good. This album is quite simply spectacular. Unlike many bands, My Chemical Romance came up with something completely fresh and exciting for their sophmore album without losing any of the fire and spark from their debut. How can any album not be good with song names like 'You know what they do to guys like us in prison (with a cameo by Bert McCracken (The Used)' and 'Give 'em hell, Kid.' Gerard Way's voice manages to send chills down your spine at one point (Give 'em hell, Kid) and soothe your soul the next (Cemetery Drive). The album is relatively short at 39 minutes but crams more musical quality into it than 10 albums together. Buy it. Buy it now. If it's the only advice you ever take. It'll change your life completely.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 cheers.....well deserved, 10 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (Audio CD)
I was pretty weary the first time I listened to this album as it quite a change from their first. They've definetly lightened up their dark sound. Dont worry though, die hard fans of the band will adjust to it very easily and those who didn't take to the first cd will probably fall in love with this one. Each track has been well crafted. "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison" is definitely the standout track on the album and i'm sure others would agree. My personal favourite is "Helena" the opening track. Each song is as exciting and memorable as the last and will have you singing away for hours after. The album also gives a flavour of old school rock with the guitar solos and heavy distortion. The vocals Gerard Way spews out are most crisp and clear making it more enjoyable....this is definetly gonna be my favourite album of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (Audio CD)
I first heard "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" a few months before it became big in the U.K. I immediately fell in love with the song and decided I must have the album. However as is normal with me I waited in great anticipation for the next song before buying the album. Helena did not dissapoint and as a side note I love the video. So whilst shopping one day I saw the album and bought it (as you do). On a first listen I'll be honest I was dissapointed, all I could hear was screaming over heavy guitars. I couldn't hear the words at all which was dissappointing as I was impressed by the lyrics, to me the lyrics let you bring your own meaning as they do not seem to be about one particular thing, and include lots of emotions (but that's only my opinion). It took a while for me to re-listen (is that even a word?) to this album as I'd disliked the album so much at first but I did. I sat down in a quiet room and just listened and that was when the genius of this album struck me. It manages to be (almost) goth rock whilst still making you want to dance to almost every single track. Personal favourites are "To The End", "It's Not A Fashion Statement..." "Cemetary Drive" "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison".
However I love the whole album. The guitar work, lyrics, vocals and drumming are all amazing. I haven't bought My Chemical Romance's first album yet but it's definitely going on my christmas list (yes I've already started it).
My advice would be if you like fairly rock type music and you like I'm Not Okay and Helena then buy this album but don't forget you need to listen to it more than once!

5.0 out of 5 stars MCR deserve more then 3 cheers, 25 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (Audio CD)
A great album.I hadn't heard many of MCR's songs untill i got this album the only ones i'd heard were I'm not ok (i promise), and Helena both of wich are amazing.Now i no the words to nerly all of the songs of by heart. It's just such a good album. My favrite is i never told you what i do for a living wich is the last one and usualy the last song on an album is over looked but there all great songs.The only bad one is interlude.but thets only one song so dont be put off. Just buy this album its worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars if you cant buy it. steal it. its THAT good., 4 July 2005
This review is from: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (Audio CD)
this has got to be the best album of the year so far. my chemical romance are the most exciting band of 2005 and they totally deserve the good press they are getting. words cant describe how good this album is. its like nothing i have heard before.. tracks like "do u know what they do to guys like us in prison" are so unbelieveably good and diffrent. this band are not "just another emo band" NO WAY! i cant tell you enough to buy this album. you'll adore it. x

5.0 out of 5 stars Band Of The Year, 5 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (Audio CD)
MCR easly take my favourite band of the year, you want emo rounded up in one band this is the band. they have revoloutionalised the idustry by creating the perfect mix of emo/extremo and scremo. the album is a must by by new fans and old with the all the songs being memorable, i can listen to the whole cd start to finish with no complaints which is not often the case most cds leave you sitting there with the remote skipping the tracks which suck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Take it for what it is: this is a good album, 15 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (Audio CD)
In certain crowds, you're not supposed to like bands like My Chemical Romance, because you're supposed to despise anything that gets air time on MTV. If you're that type of person, stay away from this album. If you can appreciate music for what it is and not worry so much about what's politically correct to listen to, you may really like this album. The songs are catchy, the lead singer does a good job and the production is good overall.

If you've heard any of the singles you'll know whether you'll like the rest of the album as well. If you don't like the singles, don't buy the album. If you like the singles, the album is full of equally good songs.

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge by My Chemical Romance (Audio CD - 2004)