5.0 out of 5 stars bloody brilliant
This album is a must have for emo/screamo you have to get this album i bought it on just hearing 'ohio is for lovers' and i love this album if you get one album this year make it HAWTHORNE HEIGHTS!!!
Published on 15 Oct 2004 by Jonathan Lord

3.0 out of 5 stars Samey, but that's not always bad
I'd heard the name Hawthorne Heights, and the song 'Ohio is For Lovers' bandied about as quintessentially emo, but despite a taste for that, I'd never really considered them. Out of curiosity, I listened to Ohio is for Lovers, and was instantly blown away. I quickly bought the entire album, and was...mildly impressed.

Some of the songs (Life on Standby,...
Published on 24 Aug 2006 by J. Batabyal

5.0 out of 5 stars bloody brilliant, 15 Oct 2004
Jonathan Lord "Music Lover" (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!!!!, 4 Feb 2006
This review is from: Silence in Black and White (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums i have ever heard. Ever track is brilliant. i must admit it took a bit of time to grow on me but now i cant stop listening to it. Their new album released on 27th Feb is also worth a listen, both great records, tho silence in black and white is the outright winner. Buy the album and see them live, they are wicked live!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but not entirely original album, 27 Oct 2004
L. J. B. O'Neill (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silence in Black and White (Audio CD)
Hawthorne Heights are a mixture of Coheed and Cambria, Story of the Year and Atreyu. The songs are fast paced with great guitar work. I know this isn't particularly quality music, nor is it very original but I that doesn't mean that it isn't brilliant fun to listen to, it is also very addictive. Stand out tracks for me are Life on Standby, Speeding up the Octaves and my favourite track of the album, Wake Up Call. I reccomend this to anyone with a liking of this stlye of music.

4.0 out of 5 stars xx, 7 Feb 2006
I first heard about Hawthorne Heights when I downloaded “Ohio Is for Lovers” on MP3. A lot of people were talking about them so I wanted to give them a listen. “The Silence in Black And White” is definitely an emo record but emo in a good way! It’s mellow then you get screaming vocals. Niki FM is the BEST song on this record I cant stop playing it! Give this CD a listen!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Samey, but that's not always bad, 24 Aug 2006
J. Batabyal "Jimzilla" (Caterham, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silence in Black and White (Audio CD)

Some of the songs (Life on Standby, Transition, Niki FM, Ohio is for Lovers, Screenwriting an Apology) are very good, and feature prominently on my playlists. But thats only five out of about 11 songs which I like, and im not sure that merits the 8 quid it cost me on iTunes. The other songs on the album are good, but they all sound pretty similar, so much so I find myself wondering when one song is going to come on, then realising I'm actually listening to it.

I hear lots of people complaining about the screaming, but, to be honest, I like it. Much more angsty and more about what I think emo is: thoughtful, sorrowful lyrics mixed with powerful, rage-filled screams. And this album is about half full of that

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive new band!, 7 Jan 2006
This review is from: Silence in Black and White (Audio CD)
Hawthorne Heights are one of many recent up and coming rock bands. I heard about them in a rock magazine. At first listen they may not seem anything special but after a few listens I really grew to love them and now I can't stop listening to them. I have become a bit fed up of all the glamour rock bands and feel that this band have some real talent.
I think their strongest aspects are the lovely guitar hooks, the main vocalists's honed voice and the backing aggressive vocals which seem to work well on certain tracks. The band seem to have a great knack of starting their songs slowly and then building up the energy whilst maintaining great rifts.
Some critics will say the main vocalist lacks grunt but I think this is an admirable quality in today's music as it allows you to appreciate the clear lyrics.
The pick of the tracks for me would be Life on Standby , Niki FM, Transition, Blue Burns Orange, Silver Bullet, Screenwriting an Apology, Speeding up the Octave, Sandpaper & Silk and Wake up Call. Ah that's almost every track bar two!
I've given this band 4/5 as the lyrics may seem depressing to some and this is only their first album. Time will tell if they really have what it takes. I think they have!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good..but not spectacular, 12 Feb 2005
This review is from: Silence in Black and White (Audio CD)
I must admit i got this album on the strength of one song which is not what i usually do but, never the less, i took it home and listened to it. It struck me straight away that the song i had heard, Ohio is for Lovers, was one of the strongest on the album, however some of the other songs paled into insignificance. Despite a good sound, a singer with a good voice and some really good hooks this album is nothing spectacular, however it still regularly spends time in my CD player, this is a good addition to fans of this sort of music yet it will not change your opinion on the genre as it is nothing ground breaking. Still worth buying though.

2.0 out of 5 stars oh dear lord, 21 Feb 2006
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
i heard this album after hearing ohio is for lovers which i still think is a great song but the album is so wishey washey with average songs that i was really let down,emo is a genre i like,i dont love it but hey there are some good bands in it,the singer whines none stop and the album seldom rocks like say silverstein,it just drags on and has little to say,the lyrics are weaker than a new born kitten and the originality is nowhere to be seen,maybe they will improve,maybe they will stay as they are and fade into nothing folks

5.0 out of 5 stars Hawthorne Heights The Silence In Black And White, 30 Oct 2004
matthew gritt (Plymouth,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silence in Black and White (Audio CD)
I brought this album after hearing the track *ohio is for lovers* on a victory records sampler the very next day i brought the album, the sounds are new and amazing! A sure must have for anyone who listens to emo, the lyrics and powerful screamin vocals make this an amazing album thats not to be missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, no-so-great lyrics, 13 April 2005
This review is from: Silence in Black and White (Audio CD)
This album is great if you don't actually know what the lyrics are.
I first heard of Hawthorne Heights when I saw them on the Take action tour in febuary 05, and thought they were great.
I immediatly bought their cd and thought that was great..... until I worked out the lyrics. They're just a bit gory!
Which is kind of a contradiction since the Take Action Tour was to promote suicide awareness........
Anyway, even though the lyrics are pretty much poo, I still listen to this CD all the time because the lead singers voice is wonderful, and th music is great. If only had they got perfect lyrics then indeed this would be the perfect band :-p

ARRAY(0xafdef33c)

Silence in Black and White
Silence in Black and White by Hawthorne Heights (Audio CD - 2004)