Format: Audio CD|Change

Gene Pitney had many hits in both Britain and America, not always with the same songs. There is a double-CD that includes all his hits in both countries together with a selection of with album tracks and B-sides, but this collection focuses exclusively on his British hit singles - all twenty of them up to 1973. It does not include Blue angel (a minor 1974 hit) or the new version of Something's gotten hold of my heart (with Marc Almond) that gave Gene his only number one hit - somewhat belatedly - in 1989.

I'm gonna be strong, Twenty four hours from Tulsa, That girl belongs to yesterday, I must be seeing things, Looking through the eyes of love, Princess in rags, Backstage, Nobody needs your love, Just one smile and the original solo version of Something's gotten hold of my heart all made the UK top ten - none of the other tracks came close although Somewhere in the country just made the top twenty.
If you just want Gene's UK hits in their original form - no album tracks, no B-sides, no American-only hits, no Marc Almond - this is the compilation to buy.
on 15 March 2012
Great sound and just as I remember him. Brings back many happy memories. His voice has never been copied.
on 8 November 2010
A disappointment, actually. Although the songs themselves remain evergreens I would not recommend this collection if you know what to expect and have a hifi set to play it on. For this production Gene's voice underwent some polishing. I prefer the real Gene to the rather slick voice on this album. Of course, partly it's my memory of back then that's in the way. On an average stereo set, home cinema audio, or only for in your car there is a lot to enjoy.
on 28 November 2012
I enjoyed it very much and intend to purchace some more of his music.There were some songs I was hoping to find, hopefully the next album.
on 22 April 2014
This was purchased as a gift for someone else and have given the feedback that it was exactly as expected and very happy with the CD
on 2 February 2015
Fantastic, can't stop Playing it in my car, love it so much, I now have two, one for car an one for home! Quality excellent!
on 5 January 2012
Excellent. Bought it for my wife who love Mr Pitney and it has never been off. In fact she is starting to convert me?
on 30 July 2015
Excellent CD. A must for Pitney fans
on 5 July 2014
One of my favourite singers
on 25 August 2014
ok sound quality not great