on 3 May 2014
When it arrived I was very pleased with the length and ergonomics of this spade (I am 6ft). However after a few hours of digging on our fairly heavy clay soil, the strain started to show. The joint where the spade and shaft is joined to the top part of the handle started to creak and loosen, resulting in a noticeable loss of efficiency when digging, not what I expected from Draper and certainly not from an "expert" range product. Shortly after that one of the rivets at the joint started to come loose. Although initially flush to the surface, the head of the rivet has a very sharp edge, and becomes quite dangerous as your lower hand slides into it.

In short this is a well-designed spade, but with a weak point mid-way up the shaft which renders it useless for any serious work.
on 6 May 2014
I bought this spade because I'm quite tall and not as young as I used to be, so the extra length might save my back a bit. When it arrived, it looked like the blade and socket were quite a decent stainless steel item but the handle looked like something (mild steel maybe?) coated in thick plastic. Today, I used it for the first (and only) time, to dig over a patch about 8ft by 3ft in light sandy soil. By the time I had done that, the handle had started to loosen in the socket and was making a squeaking noise when used. I contacted Amazon and they have agreed a return and refund. A very, very disappointing purchase. Poorly manufactured and unfit for purpose.
on 18 January 2014
I bought this based on the great reviews. After 5 minutes digging the head snapped off revealing the paper thin stainless steel shaft with a small length of mild steel rod inside! I should have known by the price!
on 5 May 2014
Not a sturdy spade. In heavy soils it flexes and now after only a few weeks the blade has split leaving it useless.
on 12 January 2014
I am very happy with this spade. My last one had a wooden handle which broke, so I bought this all stainless steel one. I have been using it hard for 6 months. It is very well build and looks like it will give many years of service. Easy to dig with as well. As its stainless steel I dont worry about leaving it outside from time to time.
on 16 April 2015
Used this loads , nice long handle if you are tall, stainless stell is good quality too, not the strongest handle if you are doing really heavy stuff though
Not a lot to be said about a garden spade, except perhaps that it does the job it is supposed to do. Well not quite true. This spade puts the pleasure back into turning the garden or allotment over, well almost. It is well designed and its Y-dee handle with soft grip is so much better than the old style T-handle. it is also well suited to taller people like myself.

Being stainless steel, heavy soil will not stick to the blade of the spade and a quick wipe after use will keep it looking like new for years to come.
on 24 November 2012
The spade arrived in good time and was exactly the right shape for taking dirt from the ground and making a hole. I was even able to use it for moving the dirt already extracted to places further away from the hole, which was an added bonus. The blade also had a handle attached, which was great, as I was able to stand up whilst digging the hole. Far less punishing on my knees. These guys think of everything. Now, if only I could find something similar, but fork-shaped, my life would be complete. As would my vegetable plot.

Unfortunately, there was some damage to the rubberised handle. It looked as though the blade had rebelled against its attachment and stabbed it. I can't see how this would have been possible, due to the positioning of said blade, so I can only presume that the attack was carried out by a second assailant. Maybe the attack was sanctioned by my blade, I don't know, and I don't like to make accusations without proof. Needless to say, had there been adequate packaging, the handle may well have escaped any injury.

The damage wasn't excessive, almost like a flap of skin after you have cut yourself, and as it didn't affect the overall digginess of the spade, I didn't knock off any stars.

Amazon also refunded me an additional 20% off the already discounted price, so all-in-all, I am very happy with my new hole-making tool.
on 30 March 2016
Broken. I liked the spade which is a well balanced and good looking spade BUT it began to loosen fairly quickly and the rivet holding the spade to the handle has snapped. A spade should last a few years shouldn't it? It isn't cheap.
on 5 February 2014
Does the job. Didn't realize that the handle was plastic when I ordered it but that was probably my fault and didn't read the details properly!

See one answered question