5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I saw this on the box years ago and just fell about. Having the chance to see it again was great and even though it's now quite old, non of the magic is lost.
Published on 11 Aug 2004 by Wilz

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad print
Nuts in May is wonderful, but if you want a watchable copy, avoid the NTSC release at all costs. The transfer is absolutely ghastly - bootleg quality, to put it bluntly. It's such a pity the UK DVD seems to be out of print.
Published on 22 Aug 2006 by Tom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 11 Aug 2004
Wilz "wilson9hb" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Nuts In May [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
I don't think I shall ever forget Candice-Marie! And the husband!! We all know one. The writing is very clever because you swing from wanting to shoot the main characters to feeling sorry for them and then finding you agree with them! Wonderful, edgy and well worth the investment. You''l watch it more than once!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuts in May is a hilarious send-up of trendy lefties., 20 Feb 2001
By A Customer
Was ever a man so aptly named? Mike Leigh cruelly names Social Services employee and veggie Keith Pratt in this hilarious and meandering comedy from the author of Abigail's Party. Keith and his wife Candice-Marie (Alison Steadman) journey to rural Dorset for what they hope will be a quiet and fulfilling camping holiday. Unfortunately, once esconced at Mrs.Beale's camp-site Keith and Candice-Marie are faced with having to deal with what they believe are lesser mortals; ie Ray, a PE Student, and a couple from Birmingham. The latter invoke Keith's ire by breaking not only the camp site rules but the country code by building a camp fire without his permission. He threatens to make a citizen's arrest but in the end is forced to restrain the Brummie holidaymaker with a branch. It all ends in tears, for Keith at least, and an early relocation of campsites. Alison Steadman is inspired as the trendy folkie who cleverly eggs on her husband while flirting with Ray and helping the Police with their enquiries into Keith's dangerously bald tyre. One can't help but sympathise with Roger Sloman's character as he stands up to the indifference of ordinary people to the countryside as well as their own health. If nothing else, this is great comedy, but as usual with Mike Leigh, there is brilliant incisive comment on human nature and society. Twenty five years on Keith may have been called an eco-warrior, yet here he is....well, a Pratt. Perhaps that's a little unfair, but watch this film anyway for wonderful views of Corfe Castle, a quarry with fossilised dinosaur footprints, Lulworth Cove, not forgetting the limestone steps, cliffs, a stone wall, some cows, ..........

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad print, 22 Aug 2006
Tom (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nuts in May [DVD] [1976] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Boots 4 hiking, plimsols 4 the rocks, sandals 4 the beach, 24 Jun 2002
richard wilson (LEIGH-ON-SEA, ESSEX United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Leigh works this 70 cult classic into a eco friendly masterpiece thats as relevant today as it was 20 years ago. Keith the overtly obsessive, vegetarian outdoor warrior plays the key role alongside his wife the misconstrued wall flower Candice-Marie. From the oppening shot of the couple singing their folk classic "I want to go to the zoo" up until the closing moments when Keith chases Onk the brummy biker round the camp site, you are left in awe at the sheer comical brilliance and observational asstuteness of both writer and performers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Piece of People-Watching, 16 Nov 2000
By A Customer
As someone who has enjoyed camping for many years, I watched this video and cringed! I had met all of these people on various campsites and had spent a good deal of my time trying to avoid them.
When Candice-Marie whinged to Keith about walking too quickly and not taking in the scenery I suddenly, to my horror, realised that I was watching myself.
I don't think anything has ever had me crying with laughter and embarrassment at the same time. It is absolutely brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuts All The Way, 23 Sep 2007
This review is from: Nuts In May [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
Remember watching this play with my family way back in 1976, on the evening it was first shown by the BBC. We all thought it was fantastic, and it still is.
All the characters are so brilliant, especially Keith Pratt and Candice Marie.
I wish that the BBC would release some of their other funny plays, like Michael Palin's 'East Of Ipswich' and Peter Terson's 'The Fishing Party'
You just don't see things like this on the TV anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars A taste of things to come., 18 July 2010
Michael P. Tooley (South Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nuts In May [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
Oh dear, when I first saw this film I was about 15 and thought it hilarious. 35 years later I can recognise an awful lot of Keith Pratt in myself. Very worrying. All in all an excellent film and well worth seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius Comedy, 28 Nov 2007
Ben Garside "Ben" (Huddersfield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nuts In May [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
I had never heard of this film, but I first watched it a couple of years ago and it blew me away. This is now firmly establised as one of my favourite films of all time. Whilst I know that many people will not understand the film, I now actually judge people on whether they like this film or not. I have changed my views on my own friends through watching this superb film. People who do not like this film are simpleton's in my view, and example of this is my friend Wikey. He does not like this film, and therefore I like him less as I know his brain does not have enough capacity to understand the subtle humour this film provides.

It is best to watch this film when you are slightly tipsy, and it always gets me howling with laughter. The funniest moments are:
- when Keith and Candice Marie make Ray sing with them - 'Well done Ray'!
- when keith confronts Finger about the noise coming from his tent at night
- when Keith snaps his book shut and shouts 'why don't we ask Ray'!
- when Keith does his stretches
- When keith goes mad
- and finally when the end credits go and Keith is making his way into the woods with a shovel and toilet roll.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC MIKE LEIGH COMEDY, 10 Mar 2000
This review is from: Nuts In May [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
I first saw Nuts in May on TV about 7 years ago on "At home with Vic and Bob", and it is indeed a British classic!
It was the first Mike Leigh film I had seen and though I admit the plot doesn't sound too tempting I must assure you that it absolutely hilarious!
The film follows the antics of Keith and Candice-Marie Pratt on their camping expedition, and some of the hilarious characters that they meet (Honky and Finger being two of the best). Although nothing really happens, I bet you cant watch this without your belly aching!

5.0 out of 5 stars Campsite Comedy Masterpiece, 16 May 2000
This review is from: Nuts In May [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
This film has provided hours of amusement for me and my family. We have watched it over and over again, never tiring of the scenario. The laughter is endless...Long live Keith and Candice Marie.
Quote: Candice-Marie: What are you reading Keith? Keith: The Guinness Book of Records.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›