5.0 out of 5 stars Follow your instinct and buy this game
Far Cry Instincts is a hugely impressive game ported from the PC original. It's not a direct port however. Despite being very expansive in scale, the levels are more linear than before. Carver (your character) now also develops feral abilities (exclusive to XBox) including increased strength, speed and jumping abilities. You can also follow the scents of your...
Published on 23 Nov 2005 by The Fault

3.0 out of 5 stars Far Cry: Decent
I loved the PC version of this game and the later Far Cry 3 on PS3, which made me look seriously into FC:I. Since playing it through, I felt I would share my impressions on what turns out to be a mixed bag of some excellent aspects, and others which are extremely poor.

There isn't a great amount of depth to it to be honest, but then again, this is the world of...
Published 2 months ago by M Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Reverse deja vu?, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) (Video Game)
After having completed & loving Far Cry 2, I turned to Far Cry 3 with some trepidation. Another great game, but difficult almost to the point of despair. So I picked up this one for comparison & whoa - found it was like Far Cry 3 with old style graphics. Well worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars gaming, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) (Video Game)
it was a very good game it was in good order and it was packed well when I opened it

5.0 out of 5 stars What more can I say, 6 April 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) (Video Game)
I completed this game on the xbox and PC and will eventually play again......and complete it again. Other than C&C this has to be one of the best games created. The graphics and gameplay are very good. Would recommend to have in your games collection forever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anyone seen my boat??, 5 Oct 2005
Nick (Edinburgh, Lothian United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) (Video Game)
This title has been burned on my brain ever since I found out it was being released for the xbox. After playing the original far cry on my dad's pc I was really impressed with the unusual playing environment and varied game play and was wondering if the xbox could actually pull it off. In a nutshell.....yes!.
The game isn't just a straight port from the original, it seems that the development team here have worked really hard to make instinct different and exclusive for the console market. The graphics may not look as lush on xbox as they do on the pc but for a console nearing the end of its lifespan (Sob!) it does a damn good job. The water looks very effective and jungle plants sway in the wind as your sneaking about. Sound wise it's very impressive what with the warble of exotic birds and the wind whistling through the trees. But before you decide to plonk yourself down in the sand and drift away I would take a closer look around you because you are being watched, oh and their not all human either.....
You are in charge of a charter boat and a rather attractive lady has employed you to take her to a paradise island where she happily snaps away at the scenery. Before you know it she has your jet ski and left a couple of hundred dollars on the table for services rendered. You decide to take a nap and wake to find two helicopters full of mercenaries peppering your precious boat with bullets. Much swearing ensues and you dive off the boat and onto the island and It's up to you to find your gal and get the hell off the island by any means. The beginning of the game sees you infiltrating villages full of bad guys and moving on to the next area. It doesn't seem to have the same open-ended feel of the pc version, it's by no means 'On rails' but the environments aren't as expansive.
If you're not content with walking everywhere to reach your destination there is a plethora of vehicles you can use on the way. These include heavy jeeps, jet ski's, boats and even a hand glider in the later levels. This adds extra variety to the already impressive game play and I especially enjoyed tearing down a trail being chased by an attack chopper only for it to put a missile into the bridge I was about to cross which in turn meant ramping the gap enveloped in flames to the other side, Fantastic stuff!!.
I'm not going to give anything away story wise but lets just say your character 'evolves' as the game progresses. Experiments are involved with your character allowing you to perform super human tasks, which you will need for later because the deeper you get into the island the darker and more mysterious things become and like I said before you won't just be encountering humans here..........
If you are looking for something slightly different in a first person shooter you can look no further than this. Oh, and if you have xbox live there are some fantastic multiplayer modes to play, including the option to customise your own maps and challenge your friends. Superb stuff........

3.0 out of 5 stars It's alright in small doses, 18 Nov 2008
Mr. M. L. Hanford "MH74" (Hereford,England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) (Video Game)
I played the Xbox demo and when it was the right price I thought I'd give it a go,It's equal parts genius and cobblers,why?
As like so many Ubisoft games,I don't know why they're just the publishers,the control options are pathetic,this Ghost Recon,XIII and other FPS's are woefully short on control options,I think you can invert the Y axis on this and that's it!
What's at fault?,the goddamn save system!!,there almost isn't one,imagine the map is triangular and you enter at the bottom left 'corner',the save point may be on your 'left' as you enter the map but if you don't pass through it and stick to the right along the imaginary triangle you won't set it off until you're practically back where you entered.
The game sets up all these encounters but without an adequate save system to fall back on you inevitably follow the most obvious 'signposted' route.
The targeting is typically 'Ubisoft',headshots seem to be the only effective target as you can empty entire clips into enemies extremities with no hint of injury.
Item placement is quite dubious as well,why are all the medikits in places you won't need them/can't use them?,there's a bit over some small islands joined by decking and all the kits are on the other side of map or places that you'll take more damage trying to get to?!
Snipers seem to be psychic as well as having the vision of Steve Austin and this is another place the save system falters,want that sniper ammo up that guard tower?,you'd better like restarts as the chance of you falling off the ladder is immense,all for about 3 bullets!
Vehicles are atrocious,trying to jump in first person is bad enough,but driving!,Pariah,Snowblind and Halo do this so much better.
I can only say this much,I've only just awakened the Feral abilities,this might make the game at least playable,I had to endure the worst set piece to get them though,a bit with you sniping off goons after Val in a shack,it took me 11 attempts,it should have been a cut-scene.
Whether I continue with it is debatable,it takes about 5 minutes,like Doom 3, to cycle through the intro by which time you've probably thought of something better to do!
I finally got the feral abilities and it's almost a different game then,your health regenerates for one and the feral attack kills instantly,it's much better now,one thing still bugs me is the sequence at the beginning which can't be skipped it's some 5 minutes long and several times I've actually turned it off to play something else as I didn't want to sit through it again,these are prevalent on this ,FC Evolution,though not as long,Doom 3,SC Chaos Theory and Ghost Recon 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 31 Oct 2005
This review is from: Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) (Video Game)
I dont care what that other guy says that gave this game a mear 2 stars, the AI is absolutly amazing and you would be hard pressed to find a game with any better. An example of this is that when you have killed all but just one guy, that guy will go metal with laughter, hopp onto the biggest gun around and start shooting up the place with a kind of hysterical laughter. (oviously because he knows that death will come at any second). The graphics are very good and the way you can seceretly push thought the bush scenery certainly adds somthing fun to the game. Anouther thing that struck me is how free-roaming the game feels and yet you always can find your way to your destination.
I personally welcome the new powers with open arms as it creats more than just an average FPS.
The only critisisumn (soz spelling) i have of this game is the online play, it is very fun to play and contends with the likes of Rainbow six in many ways, however, it doest come without its lag. Although i am sure this would be illiminated if i had a faster connection. And also i think the way you can set up tree-whips from a distace is abit weird but not a bad thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Farcry, 25 Oct 2005
This review is from: Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) (Video Game)
This is such a difficult game to write about, and to rate as there is so much going for the game and against it.
The plus points are of course the graphics which are really outstanding, from the smallest detail on a gun to a massive wide expanse of scenery, either it be the jungle or a mountain range everything has been done to the highest standard. It is probably the nicest looking game I have seen on an Xbox.
The gameplay for me stands at 50 - 50 because it all runs smoothly and your guns are relativle easy to wield,but sometimes the guys just do not die. You can hit them with a full round of ammo at point blank range and they'll just stand there staring at you, half of them seem to be immune to grenades aswell. The AI isnt as clever as the developers are making out to be. Its not the worst but if you are shooting at a group of soldiers and then you hide behind a bush, you would atlest think that one of them would come and look for you, but as soon as your out of sight they turn around and go back to their business.
Also other soldiers seem to be totaly unaware if you sniper his mate stood right next to him, so everyone is too easy to pick off using the sniper rifle.
And setting traps in the jungle is just lame, its not that type of stealthy game to be doing things like that, its almost impossible to sneek up on people so you just end up running around blasting everything.They havnt integrated stealth tactics and all out action very well.
The vehicles are good but they are ridiculously impossible to drive and trying to shoot at the same time you might aswell forget.
The game is quite linear aswell, there is only one route you can take, so when it says in the game descriptions rthat there are numerous routes, i dont know where theyve got that from! Unless it means where on one level your in a car and you can either turn left or right, which in no time atall takes you to the same place anyway!
Apart from these few flaws it is a really good game, and the map editor is very very good, very easy to use if you dont know anything about building maps. Probably the best map editor I have seen in a game because of its simplicity and its fun to play your own map aswell.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Aug 2006
T. H. Boyd - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) (Video Game)
On first sight the game looks good but there are a few flaws to it. The first thing I noticed, is when I was crawling from the undergrowth, the vegitation looks like it is made of cardboard. Looking at the water, we know the producers are more than capable of creating stunning scenery and this seems a bit of a cop out. However, I persevered. The first enemy I encountered was one guy and immediately you think "shoot him". So I did. Either I missed him about seven times or he was super human or something like that. I emptied half a mag or ammo on his arse before dropping him. The whole game is like that unfortunately. One last point, you can't play skirmish games at all. You have to have one other human player in a non-mission game, which sorely disappointed me as I was hoping to make an island that I could play AI enemies on. It's ok-ish but it'll leave you wanting more. In a bad way

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep your receipt, 21 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) (Video Game)
I enjoyed playing this game on the X-Box at first, but was dissapointed that the game did not save properly. I would go through multiple save points only to find myself back to a loaded part from earlier in the game. Mine is a new x-box and memory card, so no fault of mine.
I never did get to finish the game, but am going to change it to see if there is any improvement with another disc. If not, then I will play PC game instead.
The graphics are brilliant, the adventures are great, but parts of the game - without giving too much information- takes great patience waiting for feral instincts to load so you can see in the dark. Either that or be very speedy in your actions.
I would say give it a go as it is one of the best first person shooters I have played.
Just keep your receipt in case, like me and others, your levels will not save properly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 4 April 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) (Video Game)
Pros: great graphics, gorgeous environments
reasonable story line
good map editor
for 7quid its a bargain
dual weilding guns like halo
plenty of cool ways to kill people
gives halo2 real competition + beats it in some aspects
feral mode is brilliant
Cons: character animation not brilliant
I have not managed to complete the main story as my disc stalls in one part and refuses to play on

Far Cry Instincts (Xbox)
Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) by Ubisoft (Xbox)
14.98