5.0 out of 5 stars Modern prog rock?
This is by far one of the most progressive albums of recent times. Anyone who has appreciated previous mike and the machanics albums is sure to enjoy this. At first listen it sounded as though they had possibly indulged in too much technology, but further listening left me submurged in this brilliant fresh sound.
Published on 16 July 2004 by gary_boast

3.0 out of 5 stars Mike and the Mechanics Rewired
This album has some good tracks but it has one or two that I find do not come off. Probably the weakest, from my point of view, of the five albums that I have.
Published on 7 April 2012 by Jehosephat

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern prog rock?, 16 July 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars A review of 4 tracks from the album, 13 May 2004
I decided that the best thing to do for this review would be to pick 4 tracks from the album and give you a deeper insight into each of them:
One Left Standing
Bit of a dance beat going on in the background on this one, but it works very well as an overall track and the sound is nice. For once I agree with the record companies choice for the first single! Some nice lyrics and good changes in tempo in places. Backing vocals work well. Actually has me believing that M&Ms could chart with this if it receives some good promotion. Catchy.
"...now the tide has turned, all of my tears have run dry...how come I, am the one left standing, now I'm drowning inside, all of my tears have run dry..."
also...nice guitar part towards the end.

If I Were You
Interesting intro, reminded me of maybe a Massive Attack feel. Down tempo after the first track. However it's a great ballad type song, with wonderful lyrics and some nice duet style pieces at the beginning with a female vocalist. Again I like the change of tempo about halfway in "...If i had the choice, you would make yourself heard without raising your voice, in my masterplan, you could get your own way without raising your hand..."
This is followed by another guitar part and another tempo change "...dont wanna be the one getting it wrong time after time....nobody's asking you to do something you dont wanna do..."
And the chorus: "If I were you, I wouldn't hurt the ones you love the way you do, I wouldn't make them cry, If I were you, I would learn to see the other point of view, but you dont even try..."

I Dont Want It All
The start of this reminds me of something, but I couldnt put my finger on what. Excellent Mechanics track, and the want to be different can be heard in places. The chorus is catchy "I dont want it all, I just need some time, peace and love that I can hold on to, I dont want it all, I just need to feel something good is happening in my life..."

Rewired
ummm....a very different track. No really discernable lyrics, high use of echo/reverb on the voice. A good word to describe this would be a "fusion" of sound. Very stop/start at the beginning with the guitar intro. Definitely a progressive style piece in its own very unique way. Not a dance track though, lots of guitar and interesting vocal mixing. I do feel that this could have benefitted a lot from having proper lyrics. Reminded me of some of the tracks off the Gorillaz album actually. Not a Mechanics or Paul Carrack style track that we've come to expect.
4 out of 5 - for uniqueness
Overall I give the album a 5 out of 5! It has a great mix of tracks. It has a modern feeling to the sound, but great lyrics (on most tracks!) and feeling behind the songs. You will NOT be disappointed if you buy this album. Definitely one to buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reprogged, 7 Jun 2004
D. Perkins "Robo_1" (Belgium - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rewired [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Put simply, Rewired is the first true prog album I've heard in the last 5 years. Make no mistake, Rewired is written by the same guy who co-wrote The Knife, Suppers Ready and Mama. The album positively oozes creativity, it's got more balls than anything produced by any other ex Genesis member, and any other so called current prog band (many of which I love) going today.
One of the most important reasons for my gushing praise, is simply the fact that Mike has really delved into technology, and not any current artists back catalogue. It sounds like a Mechanics album from 2050, but it really IS a Mechanics album. The tender touch they add, the smooth and at times funky melodies are all present and correct, whilst the lyrics all offer the typical Mechanics take on the world around and inside us.
Really excellent stuff, which has placed Rewired over and above my highest expectations. It's not going to be for everyone, some may miss the acoustic based rock which the Mechanics are best known for, and I wouldn't have minded a few quicker numbers, but for any music fan who thinks prog should stand for music on the edge of experimentation, then you won't find a better example.

4.0 out of 5 stars JUST SHORT OF A MASTERPIECE., 29 Aug 2004
This review is from: Rewired [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
excellent works by Mike and the Mechanics but just comes up a little short of masterpiece status such as beggers on a beach of gold.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paul is missed, but still a very good CD, 18 Jun 2004
This review is from: Rewired [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
This is a very good CD. The songs are extremely well written and performed. It also has a modern and refreshing edge.
The last song, 'Underscore', though very modern sounding, has the qualities of a Genesis instrumental. Paul Carrack is in excellent form throughout. I can pretty much assure you that if you have liked other Mechanics albums, you will find much to enjoy here. Paul Young is missed as I really liked his contribution to previous Mechanics recordings, but I am very glad that Paul Carrack & Mike Rutherford decided to go forward and make this CD. It should sell much more than it probably will so do yourself a favor and purchase it. It's definitely worth it. By the way, I have to ask why one of the other reviewers here said that the inclusion of the DVD was desperate. I think it is a nice and well done bonus, that allows some talented filmmakers a chance to get some notice. Hardly desperate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mechanics at their best, 6 Aug 2004
This review is from: Rewired [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Mike & the Mechanics span 20 years or more, and this is their best album ever. 9 tracks may seem a little miserly, but the album does run for 45 minutes, and it is sheer class. More progressive than previous works, but hand crafted with typical mechanics lyrics. More influence from Paul Carrack this time who has touched this masterpiece with his melodical genious.

4.0 out of 5 stars . Rewired, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Rewired [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Nearly as good as the original members of the band, enjoyed listening to the cd, and I am sure I will be playing it a lot more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mike and the Mechanics Rewired, 7 April 2012
This review is from: Rewired (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic mechanics, 31 Aug 2010
This review is from: Rewired [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
This is really just a typical Mike+ the Mechanics album. It has a change of style but all the essential elements of a mechanics album are present without many changes. This being said, it is still very refreshing to hear. If you want really sophisticated and philosophical music then this is not what you're looking for. The mechanics don't seem to be great thinkers but they are brilliant songwriters and musicians. Some people didn't like that they have used a lot more electrical sound in this album but they actually do it very well. I enjoyed it a lot and I look forward to Mike Rutherfords next project-whatever that may be and whenever it may come.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most successfull part time band in the world!!!!!, 5 Aug 2004
This review is from: Rewired [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Well with the late Paul Young(sad cafe)out of the running order i wasn't sure weather this would work.At the first listening i still wasn't sure,but after a few times it grows on you!The Mechanics have been REWIRED and sound good in a modern day ,different from before.BA Robertson returns with his writing talent along with Rutherford and Carrack with his amazing voice.Well produced,a special mention for the backing singers they sound really good too! Best track on the album is track 2 "If i were you" lovely song.A welcome return for Mike and the mechanics who were once named "The most successfull part time band in the world"

Rewired
Rewired by Mike & The Mechanics (Audio CD - 2004)