5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Product
This device can be used to stream music from your PC to any Hi-Fi in yourhome. It works with both MP3 and WMA formats, and supports all thefunctionality you'd expect, such as browsing for music by Artist, Album,Genre, as well the ability to have custom playlists.
Published on 29 April 2004 by Gary

3.0 out of 5 stars MP101 Hmmmmm
I really wanted to like this product 5 stars because it is cheap and such a good gadget, but! (it's a big BUT) This is a totally immature product. Here are my gripes:
1) Takes a VERY long time to boot up and get ready to play.
2) Sometimes does not find the wireless connection the first time and has to be rebooted (twice the wait !)
3) Can't select several...
Published on 16 Nov. 2004 by pebamforth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars MP101 Hmmmmm, 16 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Netgear MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player (Electronics)
1) Takes a VERY long time to boot up and get ready to play.
3) Can't select several tracks in an ad hoc playlist without going and doing it on the PC.
4) Server software is DIRE. I really mean this bit, the server software is so bad I have given up on it. Don't even bother trying the bundled server go and download the twonkyvision server ([...]) and use that from day one.
5) Using DHCP with a Netgear DG834G router it can take forever to get an IP address. Give it a static IP.
All in all it is still a great idea but in practice it fails to deliver. I am still very happy with it but it definitely does not live up to expectations. If you are considering buying one then if you are technically competent and don't mind playing around, go for it. Otherwise wait a year until something better comes along.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Product, 29 April 2004
Gary (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netgear MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player (Electronics)
The MP101 comes with its own remote control (which has a good range), andthe white on black display on the device is very clear and can be readfrom across a room. The silver-fronted case is well built and blends inwell with other A/V equipment.
It can connect to your network through standard Ethernet or wirelesslyusing 802.11b/g. For poorly secured WiFi networks (tut tut) you simplyplug it in and press a couple of buttons to get started. If you'veimplemented basic good practices such as hiding your SID, enabling WEP,etc. it can be easily configured manually.
Sound quality is perfectly adequate with a good balance across the range,and only serious audiophiles would have cause for complaint.
The inclusion of a display is an advantage over the Linksys Media Adapter,although this product also handles other media whereas the MP101 is musiconly. The Hauppauge Media MVP also handles other media such as pictures,but doesn't currently support a wireless interface and doesn't support theWindows Media WMA format.
Overall, a great product that is well built and easy to use.

2.0 out of 5 stars great idea, bad implementation, 9 Nov. 2004
Matthew Coombes (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netgear MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player (Electronics)
I'm a bit of a techie, so I wanted this system to work. and when this works it IS a great system. I love the idea of being able to access all of the files on my PC. BUT, I have spent ages and ages to get it to work and it's still not reliable. The server software looks as if it was designed for windows 3.1. It crashes, it can't handle music I've bought online and won't see AAC files at all. The mp101 itself is completely erratic when it comes to finding networks. Once it's found it, it won't log on. When it logs on to the network it can't get an IP address. When it gets an IP address, it can't find the server. when it finds the server it loses the connection to the wireless network, and so on. In many cases I've had to rerip CDs to get them to work with the server software, and even then I've had to run between my PC and my living room to try to get the thing to work. It's a real shame that this doesn't work better, but as far as the mp101 is concerned, you'd be much better digging out your CDs and using the CD player.

4.0 out of 5 stars MP 101 - Unleash music from the PC, 6 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Netgear MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player (Electronics)
For those who have accumulated a music library on their PC, this is a great way to listen to it somewhere in the house which is not in front of a computer. The set-up is fairly easy with all the music files in the PC being scanned into the server.
I have had my fair share of software problems and it has taken several re-installs to get the server working properly. This appears to no longer be a problem with the latest upgrade. Its also worth getting the very latest upgrade (downloaded from Netgear) as this opens up Internet Radio and a number of other improvements to the interface.
It's also very flash and impresses everyone who sees it. I wouldnt be surpirsed if soon enough, this is going to be standard kit in many homes.
I am getting a second one for the house and may even get a third for the kids room.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes it's great but....., 16 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Netgear MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player (Electronics)
I love it - my entire 400+ CD collection available on request, configurable playlists for parties etc. but....
And its quite a big 'but'
The server runs as a foregroud application on a windows platform. This effectively means that you need a PC which is pemenantly switched on. As my home PC has several users (one for each memeber of the family) I ended up getting a dedicated PC just to run the server. This bumped up the price considerably. Add that to the cost of a wireless network if you haven't already got one and it's not neccessarily the cheap option.
The software is also less than totally reliable. Once it's running it's fine but quite often, when I switch it on, it can't find the server and needs resetting. This is OK for me, I'm a techie, but it's a bit much for my wife who can't understand why she can't play her Abba albums.
So it's not perfect but I've still given it four stars - because when it works it's great, and I'm considering getting a second one so that the CD collection can be shared between two stereos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my...., 13 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Netgear MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player (Electronics)
so for a long time I have been thinking about getting something like this, I never seem to be able to put my CD's away so this seems to be the perfect answer for me!
so everyone seems to be saying that the twonki software is better than the stuff you get with the machine, well I installed the server off the disc and it was fine, eventually it made my PC run out of its 2GB of RAM! however I then downloaded the update (software and firmware) which had the RAM issue listed on its bug fixes.
slightly worried about the fact that there are still known issues with the software when handling large volumes of songs, amd there hasnt been a software update for a year....hmmmmm
its still working fine for me (3 and a half thousand songs in, but I have only ripped my record collection up to the letter C!!!)
obviosuly you'll end up making mistakes when ripping and need to edit large volumes of ID3 data to make your record collection work, I have been using tag&edit which is an awesome bit of sharware (you have to pay eventually, but its probably worth it)
I had a lot of trouble setting up the wireless network, so plugged in an ethernet cable, and it worked fine....I have now got it working on the wireless network, maybe I am just simple, but this is what I did wrong, on my router I entered the encryption code, I then asumed that was the "passcode" that you can enter in the wireless set up on the MP101, however, I then realised I could enter hexidecimal pass codes directly in to the "key" sections of the MP101, and once I did that it all worked. even though I have a wireless network, I have always used ethernet cables, seemed more simpe! so its probably my lack of experience with wireless networking that got me confused.
whats my biggest complaint? no buttons on the unit, god I hate hunting for remote controls!! however it seems only the turtlebeach wireless MP3 player features buttons (and thats unavailable) so instead of waiting another year for a machine to be developed that has a feature like "buttons"! I gave in and got it....greatest thing I have ever done!
anyway back to the CD ripping!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware, poor server software, 22 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Netgear MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player (Electronics)
This box is great. Looks great, sounds great.
I can only fault it in one way. The server software sucks. The software caused songs to skip every 30 secs, and some not be shown. Netgear support is as much use as a chocolate teapot, and offered no practical suggestions (one was rerip my 20000 MP3s!)
I did some research and found a better media server from [...] I ditched the supplied software, used this, and it has been working daily like a dream since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music Fans - Buy This!, 7 July 2004
This review is from: Netgear MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player (Electronics)
I, like many other music fans, have a MP3 Player. Therefore, I have compiled a serious amount of music on my PC, which is nice as a back up, but lousy as a playback tool.
Therefore, it was with no small amount of joy that I installed the MP101 from NETGEAR. Instantly freeing up all my digital music files and giving me crystal clear Internet Radio. Now it is the CD's themselves that are kept safe and scratch free as the back up and the MP3's (or WMA files if that's your preference) that are the primary music source.
Set up was hassle free with the MP101 instantly connecting to my wireless router. The software, whilst not the greatest, instantly found and mapped to all my music files... and I was enjoying digital quality music through my stereo system in minutes.
A word to wise though, keep an eye out for Fireware Upgrades ([...] - click on downloads from the landing page), as the latest upgrade came with a number of features that, not only make the MP101 even more user friendly, but gave access to an incredible amount of free Internet Radio Stations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 April 2004
Cambridge Ian (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Netgear MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player (Electronics)
Arrived home at 6.00pm unpacked this, installed the software plugged itin to power and hifi, and at 6.13pm my collection of mp3's was playingthrough my amp - brilliant.
Took seconds for it to find my wifi network and a minute more to configurewep settings - really impressed (so much so that I'm about to order 3 moreso that I can have music throughout the house - you can connect itdirectly to powered pc speakes or via phono plugs into an amp).
If you are looking of a wifi (B & G) music device this is the best I haveseen - buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money but..., 6 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Netgear MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player (Electronics)
not without it's problems. The music server software (using approx. 12,000 mainly .wma files) has locked the PC (running XP with 512mb RAM) up several times since installation on Friday and the device itself often has to reboot in order to rejoin the network from cold.
On the plus side it's nice looking, clear screen, user friendly, good sound quality and even continued to work after WEP configured.
A worthwhile purchase at a very good price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›