5.0 out of 5 stars Never have Alter Boys been this entertaining
I was in the gym on a Thursday evening, my 3rd visit in 2 months. I noticed that my gym has a vast collection of rubbish 80's video and a selection of about 5 DVD's, I browsed these DVD's more through a means to distract myself from the inevitable workout that the intention to rent one out.
Anyhow I stumbled across the title "The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys" I'd...
Published on 15 Oct 2004 by Rob B

3.0 out of 5 stars Short Review of Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys
Published on 4 Jun 2010 by Mr. Richard E. Livermore

5.0 out of 5 stars Never have Alter Boys been this entertaining, 15 Oct 2004
Rob B (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dangerous Lives Of Altar Boys [DVD] (DVD)
Anyhow I stumbled across the title "The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys" I'd never actually heard of this title but the description it gave was intriguing and I remember Kieran Calkin put in a good performance in "Igby Goes Down" even though I was slightly disappointed with that Film overall.
"The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys" has everything, its a film about friends, its a film about love, its a film about growing up and getting into a lot of trouble while doing it. Maybe because I was expecting so little I got so much or maybe it's just a damn good film. I loved it!!!
The film revolves around 4 friends and their fascination for comic books; this fascination however gets two of them expelled from their strict Catholic school after a blasphemous comic they had written is found by Sister Assumpta (Jodie Foster). They hatch a plan to destroy the evidence involving four friends imagination and a wild cat!!
Buy this film or go and rent it from the gym, either way make sure you watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected., 15 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Dangerous Lives Of Altar Boys [DVD] (DVD)
This had all sorts of themes weaving their way through a very entertaining absorbing unpatronising coming of age story.
With its smattering of shocks and points of humour the story revolving around an elaborate far fetched practical joke unfolded to reach an
horrific climax.
The balance between the adolescents imaginary comic book cartoon worlds of their superheros/egos and reality is balanced superbly.
How this film has quietly slipped by is a mystery. Both boys in family utterly hooked by the way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Short Review of Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys, 4 Jun 2010
Mr. Richard E. Livermore (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dangerous Lives Of Altar Boys [DVD] (DVD)
A coming of age film, which reminded me a little of Lindsay Anderson's "If". However, whereas "If" was stark and powerful, this was sentimental, with acting which didn't seem to know where it was going. The strongest performance was by Emile Hirsch, but he could have used some of the restraint he showed in The Mudge Boy to achieve much more impact. His performance was a little over the top and teary. The way the film interwove the naturalistic with the fantasy (anime) elements was good, but perhaps a bit cliched as well. I also liked the way William Blake's poetry and philosophy of sexual liberation was brought into it to contrast with the repressive Catholic upbringing of the boys, but it could have developed that more I feel. It was a film which was obviously aimed for a teenage audience and because of that certain opportunities to make a stronger statement were missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice adaption from the book!, 6 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Dangerous Lives Of Altar Boys [DVD] (DVD)
This is a nice adaption from the book by Chris ( Chrisanne ) Fuhrman, R.I.P.
With an excellent cast leading Kieran Culkin and Emile Hirsh.

The dialogues are very close to the book, although there some changes ( like in every film adaption ).

Nice sentimental drama about growing up and responsibilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys, 30 Jun 2005
This was well acted mostly by teenagers who attend a repressive Catholic school under the care of an unpleasant nun played by Jodie Foster and a smoking, football coaching padre played by Vincent D'Onofrio. The feelings of teenage angst are well documented if rather far fetched and the conclusion was unnexpected. The He Man / She Ra type cartoons interspered between the live action are OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Dangerous Lives Of Altar Boys [DVD] (DVD)
Speedy delivery, good quality, cover image is a bit pixelated though so maybe not ideal as a gift but the actual DVD was spot on.
Thanks

The Dangerous Lives Of Altar Boys [DVD]
The Dangerous Lives Of Altar Boys [DVD] by Peter Care (DVD - 2004)
4.35