5.0 out of 5 stars Do you remember the 7th Guest ?
Published on 26 July 2004 by R. Finney

2.0 out of 5 stars The Black Mirror reviewed.
Perhaps the most endearing and instantly notable aspect of The Black Mirror is the beautiful, stunning graphics. They truly are the sort of graphics that for me, has made gaming such a life long hobby.
Published on 11 Nov 2005 by R. Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you remember the 7th Guest ?, 26 July 2004
R. Finney "blakpawn" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Mirror (PC CD) (Video Game)
Oh I really loved this game. Reminded me of the 7th guest and the sad way logical puzzles seem to be omitted from computer games at the moment. The story is truly compelling played it for several hours after the candle had burnt out at both ends, a whodunnit and why; The answer a pleasant shock for those of us that dont work at scotland yard. The puzzles a touch on the easy side, and I would have loved a few more. The voice acting can be mildly iffy but not enough to seriously detract from the game. The only weird [but oddly accurate] thing I found about the game is that sometimes there is nothing to do but wait, when a character says it will take him a while to do something it often does, no matter what your character has to do including thumb twiddling. But really there should be more fun throat grabbing games like this around. Its wonderful :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best dark atmosphere driven point & click games., 22 Dec 2004
THE BLACK MIRROR:
It is set during i would guess the late 1800's to early 1900's, and it has a lot of Gothic style of settings through out the game.
From graveyards, to Ashburry's Sanitorium to the likes of The Black Mirror Castle it's self.
All these just add to the whole dark atmosphere you get in the game, and to top that off there is some really excellent ambient music to follow what ever is going on.
It's not a scary game, no point and click has ever scared me anyway, but it does have it's creepy moments, due to the fact that the music is doing the job it was meant to, which is a good sign if you ask me.
The effects are really well done, when it rains for example, it looks like it is raining, it has the sound effects nailed to a T, another example is when your in the kitchen talking to the butler who is standing at the cooker, you hear the sizzling of the food in the pan while you chat with him, the whole package has that much detail, which is something not many games of this type can say they have.
The whole feeling of the game, as stupid as this may seem, it made me want to actually be there, with Samuel Gordon solving the mystery.
I think this is because i love the whole dark gothic atmosphere in some games :).
Anyone who likes horror games, or point and click games with a horror theme running through them, they would be well off if they got this.
I dont see them being disappointed in buying it, sure it has it's little problems which are:
When you interact with any character in the game, it usually takes a couple of seconds for them to react to you and start speaking.
Not a problem if you ask me, i dont mind it at all, infact it is all part of the charm that The Black Mirror holds.
Best play it during late night hours, lights out, with headphones (sold separately) and when you do, you are pulled into the world of The Black Mirror.
Enjoy!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game (and it DOES work on XP Service Pack 2), 21 Feb 2005
This review is from: Black Mirror (PC CD) (Video Game)
Firstly, this game DOES work with XP Service Pack 2 as I have just finished playing it on my PC for the THIRD time and it is running XP Service Pack 2 (the reviewer who says it doesn't obviously has other problems on their PC that are not related to Black Mirror).
On to the game. It is a fairly classic third person adventure game in the mould of Nightlong, Syberia etc. The graphics are absolutely superb - very crisp, clear and detailed. As with many adventure games, there isn't a huge soundtrack to boast of, but the ambient sounds are excellent and really suit the mood of the game. Some people have griped about the main character's voice, but I really can't see why. I have heard MUCH worse in other adventure games, even well-regarded ones. Even if you don't like the voice, you have the option of turning the voice sound down and playing with subtitles instead if you so wish.
The weather effects are beautiful and as the game progresses over several days, the weather worsens and it really does feel very realistic as the rain, lightning flashes and thunder etc. are all brilliantly realised.
I enjoyed the plot immensely. It is a whodunnit with horror/supernatural overtones and it really keeps you guessing right up to the end. The puzzles are well-conceived and I can't think of one that was unfair or impossible to complete without a walkthrough.
Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable adventure game and, possibly along with Return to Mysterious Island, the adventure hit of 2004 without a doubt. I have already played it 3 times and it probably won't stop there!

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Better Ones, 1 Sep 2004
Cliff Dolphy (Gloucester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Mirror (PC CD) (Video Game)
Black Mirror is one of the better games my spouse and I have played, the atmosphere was very good with the difficulty not too hard (we only referred to the cheats once). What helped was that the player couldn't leave a location until everything that was needed had been done, thus the player is not wandering around the whole map wondering why they can't get anywhere, I personally thought it better than Syberia2. Graphically it was as good as you could wish with not too much emphasis on unneeded video. I have seen reviewers write that it wasn't a good ending, personally I liked it, leaving the player guessing as to why, (not giving anything away), leaving the opportunity open for a sequel (or prequel).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great! but weird in places featuring the rudest man ever featured in a point and click game!, 18 Jun 2006
S. Stokes (North Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Black Mirror (PC CD) (Video Game)
Black Mirror is similar to the Broken Sword series but, sadly, without the dry humour. There were parts of the game which I thought Samuel (the main character) could have made light of or a joke about but no, he's the most serious person ever. He is also extremely (and unrealistically) rude in the way he questions people to the point of intrusion. It is amazing that the other characters in the game respond positively to his incessant, nosy questions.

Samuel is also very arrogant and pretentious when talking to people who he sees as being of a lower social class to himself (the gardener and the groom come to mind - to name but a few).

The game is overall a brilliant point and click adventure. A word of warning though - this game is best avoided by those with young eyes or a nervous disposition! Some of the situations can be pretty grusomely graphic.

The ending is pretty weird though, I'm still not sure what the story was about. But the puzzles were fairly simple. The most annoying thing about this game though was the fact that when Samuel asked somebody a question (the professor in Wales springs to mind) he has to go and wander around aimlessly and keep coming back to him to see whether he has an answer yet. I'm fairly sure I spent at least an hour or more just wandering around waiting with nothing to do in the meantime. Not a great system for game play.

A great point and click for fans of the genre. It was extremely addictive so if you have a few days and nights to kill, this is the one for you!!

2.0 out of 5 stars The Black Mirror reviewed., 11 Nov 2005
R. Thomas "R Thomas" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Mirror (PC CD) (Video Game)
At first glance The Black Mirror has all the hallmarks of a classic game within this genre; the aforementioned visuals, the atmospherics, the point/click/examine cursor, a bulging inventory full of weird and wonderful items to help overcome obstacles, brain busting puzzles, and an intriguing mystery story line to keep you guessing to the very end...
So what could possibly go wrong?
Well, while playing this game, it may occur to you as it did me, that a hell of lot of money must of gone into making it. Certainly if the art / design and sound are anything to go by.
Along with film studios, game design companies must clearly pour hundreds of thousands - millions of pounds into their games but lets face it, as with a lot of Hollywood movies, no matter how big the production or how amazing the end product looks, without a decent script, without convincing direction or acting it'll be shot to pieces critically and inevitably fail at the box office.
So why then create a game that looks so beautiful and then ruin it with a clumsy script that quite frankly could of been written by a twelve year old and then use talentless, wooden voice-over actors (you honestly have to hear it to believe just how bad it really is) to deliver this rubbish? This truly is where The Black Mirror fails to be anything but mediocre. Even the tedious slow pace is bearable compared to the stupid character voices.
Of course, it is possible (and best advised) to look past the comical acting and focus on the other endearing aspects but personally it bothered me to the point of devaluing everything else about The Black Mirror.
The other annoying thing is (Note to Future Games) if you're going to create a game that takes around 20 hours to complete - at least make the protagonist likeable! Samuel Gordon, our so called hero is nothing but a stuck-up, elitist, patronising
%*$@ of the highest order! Who decided it would be a good idea for him to talk to servants as if they were scum?! Sure it's quite amusing, if not a little ridiculous and unrealistic but it's just a bit weird at the same time.
That said, The Black Mirror is charming enough in itself and the 'mystery adventure' kept me wanting to carry on that little bit further. Great puzzles (some will make you tear your hair out in frustration or indeed find you searching online for a walk-through!).
I particularly enjoyed the latter part of the game where the plot starts to get a bit more juicy. Such a shame then that ultimately, none of it actually makes any sense what so ever. Take the grand finale for example, it appears that Future Games either ran out of money or time - or both. Without wanting to give anything away the ending doesn't quite end as you would have expected. Far from it in fact....
Tip to Future Games: Always try and provide the end user with an enjoyable, climactic finish as a reward for committing over twenty hours of their life towards your games. Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Black Mirror one to watch, 19 April 2004
This review is from: Black Mirror (PC CD) (Video Game)
The introduction starts with an FMV sequence (Full Motion Video) giving you a good base to the start of the story. From this intro you will see just how good this game is going to be. It was definitely an intro I didn’t want to skip.
Once the main game starts, the first thing that hit me was that the colours were very rich. A lot of attention has been given to the details in this game, although I do feel that a little more time could have been spent on the characters themselves, as visually they do appear a little sketchy. Items within the game are very well done, again with great detail. I often find when playing a game for review, that background items can make a lot of difference to how people see the game. I always think that the designers don't seem to spend as much time on an item that isn't going to be used within the story as much as they do with an item that is, but Black Mirror again dispels this as all the items you come across are of equal quality. Shadowing is also impressive, as you can see from the screen shots below. Good lighting is something that I think many games lack, Black Mirror appears to have found a perfect balance here as they haven't gone over the top or under on it.
I found the controls very easy to get to grips with. Traveling from one room to another is simple, if you can enter a room your cursor will change to a little door, just left click and you will walk to the doorway. You can speed up the process by double clicking the doorway and you will be taken straight there rather than having to view the character walking there which I really liked as you don't find yourself sitting there impatiently waiting for your character to get there.
As you are searching a room for items, if there is anything you can pick up or manipulate then your cursor will turn red. This is cool because you don't find yourself aimlessly clicking around the screen waiting for something to happen. I know this is nothing new but games are still being released where this option isn't available. I will say that if you do find an item that turns your cursor red then keep clicking on it until it isn't red anymore as you will get valuable info sometimes. Also don't forget that with some items you can right click on them to interact with them. This skipped my mind a few times and left me wondering around feeling confused. This isn't the designers fault, this is just a little reminder ;)
One thing that I did find a little annoying was that if you find lets say a candle in a drawer that you don't need straight away you can't pick it up until you get to the point that you need a candle then you have to go back to pick it up, which means a little bit of going backwards and forwards, again nothing too bad but can get a little annoying.
Items can also be placed together when they are in your inventory. To mix two items together just click one on top of the other and if they can join they will flash. The same if you wish to use an item out of your inventory on an item in the scene just select the item and place it over the other one, if they can be used together they will flash. This eliminates any frantic clicking around to find the right item.
The voices of the characters I did find a little false to be honest. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the game at all as after a short while you do get used to it, but initially you can tell that it's not an English person that has done the voice over. If it is then I am sorry. :) but I personally didn't think the characters voices were realistic enough. There is a green house in the garden that you can visit and I was very impressed with the change of sound effects that occur when you enter it when it's raining, it is very realistic. I think this makes the enjoyment of the game just that little bit better. If you get an artificial sound it doesn't give the game the credit it deserves.
The storyline begins straight away in the introduction. I didn't find myself wondering what am I doing here? what am I supposed to be doing? Why am I here? The introduction explains very well what your aim is and what has happened so far. I think this is excellent as I have played many games that just drop you in a place and expect you to work everything out for yourself. Black Mirror tells you just what you need to know not too much that it spoils the game and too little that you left wondering what to do to get started.
One thing I will say about the puzzles that you will encounter is listen carefully to what people tell you, not only does it add to the great storyline but more often than not they will give you clues as to where or what to do next.
The storyline kept me hooked on this game from start to finish. There are a few twists and turns that make you believe you know who the killer is, and then suddenly other things become apparent and changes your ideas. Black Mirror is going to be a top selling game in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Mirror, 27 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Black Mirror (PC CD) (Video Game)
Great point and click game. Strong story line and good graphics. Kept you guessing right up to the end. More games like this please.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Niggly in Places for me, 14 July 2006
A Howard (Rowley Regis, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Black Mirror (PC CD) (Video Game)
Like a reviewer before me, I found some parts truly time wasting and the bit in the graveyard with the teeny spoons was just downright annoying! Other than that the game was very very good and a lot of fun to play. The ending is weird and as I had no sound card at the time reading the subtitles was a bit of pain! I do recommend this game if you like Broken Sword type games, overall I did enjoy it. The graphics are very good and the movement around the place is very realistic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and absorbing, 10 April 2005
This review is from: Black Mirror (PC CD) (Video Game)
My son and I played this game together and loved every moment of it. The storyline drags you kicking and screaming into the dark world of Samuel Gordon who is investigating the death of his uncle who died a mysterious and somewhat grisly death. The story takes you to many fantasically rendered scenes which beautifully depicts the mood and atmosphere of the places he visits from villages to mines, morgues to catacombs.
As the story unfolds and the corpses pile up in evermore alarming ways. You also get a wonderful sense of being caught up in the mystery but the changing locations.
You must be warned however that there are a few scenes not for the feint-hearted or for young children to witness. The music enhances the brooding atmosphere. The puzzles are moderately difficult but a walkthrough is needed at times to help with some of the rather bizarre point and click options needed to progress through the game.
My greatest whinge with this game is the rather stale character voices which present as rather monotone even in the the most alarming of situations. A further irritation was the way in which many characters took several seconds to respond to questions - how rude!! If my master and employer asked me a vital question about a murder I wouldnt finish off a task before aswering him. On a final note we felt that the ending was a bit abrupt.
Nevertheless a brilliant and absorbing game which we spent many many enjoyable hours completing. A real must for any gothic point and click adventurers.

Black Mirror (PC CD)
Black Mirror (PC CD) by G2 Games (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)
Used & New from: £4.97