5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It!!!
Published on 4 Jan 2005 by fire_sprite

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much Filler not enough Killer
This is a record of extremes. From the fabulously catchy "all the things that I've done" things go downhill rapidly to "glamorous Indie rock and roll". The Standout tracks " all The things that I've done", "Mr Brightside" and "Smile Like You Mean it" show what the Killers can do. At their best they produce melodic anthemic indie but at worst they produce dull...
Published on 19 Jan 2006 by AndyC

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It!!!, 4 Jan 2005
This review is from: Hot Fuss (Audio CD)
I've got to start by saying that I rarely give anything 5 stars, if I could, I would give this album 6! It is just fantastic. If you haven't heard it, what the hell are you waiting for!? The stand out tracks for me were, Jenny was a friend of mine, Mr. Brightside, Somebody told me, Andy You're a star, Indie Rock and Roll and Everything Will be Alright. Usually when I listen to an album, there are 1 or 2 stand out tracks but in the case of Hot Fuss, I've chosen about half the album and there are still a couple more that I feel should be in there. In conclusion, a truely amazing album that has barely left my CD player since I bought it. Every single track is very, very good (I nearly put them all as stand out tracks but that would have been a bit pointless...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Killers Hot Fuss and Sam's Town, 29 Jun 2007
B. Mackie (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot Fuss (Audio CD)
These guys are the best band I have heard in 25 years. I'm 42 now and can honestly say this. Buy both CD's - Hot Fuss and Sam's Town. If anything, buy Hot Fuss for track 7 alone! Heard this song ("On Top") for the first time while watching their set at Glastonbury last week (June 23, 2007) and it made my hair curl!! Both CD's are filled with outstanding tracks. Buy both and crank up the volume and imagine your favourite bands of the 70's and 80's and you are there!! Brilliant - on CD and Live!

5.0 out of 5 stars Catchiest album of 2004, 4 Mar 2005
Jase (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot Fuss (Audio CD)
The Killers are a deceiving band. Their debut Hot Fuss is an electro-indie-disco fusion, the kind not heard since prime-era Pulp. The guitars and synths draw heavily on quintessential british bands such as the Cure and New Order. Yet whilst singer Brandon Flower's hollered vocals sound convincingly british, the band hail from that most unenglish of places, Las Vegas. Knock them all you want for aspiring to be british indie heroes, but there's no denying that with Hot Fuss they've written one of the most addictive albums of 2004.
Singles Mr Brightside and Somebody Told Me have been filling dance floors everywhere with their pulsating energy and universal appeal. Thankfully much of the album's remainder is of a similar quality. Opener Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine sets the tone perfectly, the song describing a crime scene in the most danceable way possible, complete with Peter Hookesque basslines, and the first of many great choruses.
The momentum is maintained for much of the first half of the album. Yet whilst the second half is slightly slower to ignite, it is in no way the weaker half. Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll is the album's oft misunderstood anthem, with its sound, and cringe-worthy lyrics ("She plays the drums, I'm on tambourine" accompanied by shake of said tambourine") wholly intentional. On Top opens with a sequence which sounds worryingly like an Ibiza anthem, before developing into one of the album's highlights. Believe Me Natalie's glimmering guitars and 80s synths are reminiscent of the Cure at their poppy best (right to the point where the song introduces trumpets ala Close To Me), whilst the initially odd Everything Will Be Alright grows with every listen.
Synths should always be used with great care to avoid sounding silly, but the Killers get the balance between guitars and synths just right, Smile Like You Mean It being a classic example. Elsewhere, a gospel choir is used sparingly, but to great effect, helping to make All These Things... the album's shining light, touching yet uplifting. Similarly, Andy You're A Star is saved from mediocrity by an inspired outro.
Only lyrically do the Killers portray their roots. Sleazy and lustful, as on Midnight Show ("You've got a real short, I wanna look up look up look up"), you think you know where Mr Brightside's going with "My stomach is sick....now she's touching his", before the lyrics takes a clever right-turn.
Packed to the rafters with hook-laden songs which will have you playing the album constantly for a month, but with enough smart touches to ensure long-term value, Hot Fuss is undoubtedly one of 2004's great albums, and a deserved success for the Killers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer, 6 Aug 2004
Wolfgang (Palace Street) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot Fuss [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I haven't heard an album so great for ages. I have to stop myself playing the damn thing, but it's the only one I want to listen to at the moment. If you like Franz Ferdinand you'll like it, reminiscent of New Order, The Smiths, but thankfully it is it's own thing and that's why I can't stop playing it. Great to cycle to if you like going very very fast! I guess if I still had a car it would be great car crash music, I mean driving music. There are great songs on this album, it's filled with hit singles. Oh, go on, get it and play it till it till its your album of the summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album of 2004 - no rivals, 12 Nov 2004
Darryl Still "daxvondrac" (Bucks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot Fuss (Audio CD)
As someone who buys around 250 albums a year, it takes something very very special to be top of my list. Well, this is something very very special. Instantly hummable tunes. Their influences are obviously mostly wedged in the 80's, but their sound brings it right up to date.
The hit singles such as Mr Brightside are the tracks that'll be talked about with Smiths, Cure, Suede and Pulp references, but the crucial track for me is the mid-CD clincher "All these things that I've done", which shows their skill an aptitude perfectly. Not just one hummable tune, but three (chorus, verse and bridge) in one song, which takes a Strokes riff, raps bagpipe like Big Country guitars around it and sucks out your very soul so that you immediately hit repeat when it finishes.
Pure undiluted class from beginning to end. Buy this album if you have any musical sensibility in your body whatsoever.
I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier. Indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB!, 12 Mar 2007
Michael Smith "m smith" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot Fuss (Audio CD)
I have both the killers albums;hot fuss and sam's town and this is by far the best of the two, infact its my favourite album of all time. This album is so good i just had to write a review. Here is how i rate each song:

1.Jenny was a friend of mine-great opening song 9/10

2.Mr Brightside - excellent song, 1 of my favourites 10/10

3.Smile Like You Mean It - one of the songs that got me hooked on the killers-was my favourite song by them but changed my mind after hearing the other songs on this album 10/10

4.Somebody told me - Song that introduced the killers to the world- great song, 1 u never get tired of listening to 10/10

5.All These Things I've Done -Shocked that this is their lowest selling single to date, my favourite song from the album 10/10

6.Andy your a star- not one of their best-average in my opinion 6/10

7.On Top - Just when i think the album is going downhill after listening to Andy your a star this outstanding track comes on. Cant believe they didnt release this as a single, would of surely made the top 10. 10/10

8.Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll -Very catchy, one of the weakest on what is a excellent album,but this would prob be the best song on other albums 7.5/10

9.Believe Me Natalie -Emotional song, one to listen to when your feeling down, very good excellent lyrics and background music 9/10

10.Midnight Show- good song especially the start, one to have on in your car 8/10

11.Everything Will Be Alright- very dissapointing track, only song by the killers that i would recommend not to listen to, change your mind is on the us version and this would have been a much better song to put on 2/10

try getting a hot fuss album which includes the bonus tracks ballad of michael valentine and under the gun as these are very good for bonus tracks

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 out of 5, 8 Nov 2004
This review is from: Hot Fuss (Audio CD)
I got this album about 2 months ago after hearing 'Mr Brightside' and 'Somebody told me'. As soon as I had listened to it all the way through I fell in love with it. It is packed full of individually brilliant tracks, some catchy, some uplifting and others you can dance too. It is really WORTH BUYING, and in my opinion is the best album of 2004, despite other fantastic bands which have made an appearance throughout the year such as 'Snow Patrol', 'Keane' and 'Franz Ferdinand', all within the Indie/Rock genre. One of the BEST things about this album is you do not tire of it: you can carry on listeting to it for months. The only problem I had was that its only 11 tracks long, and the last one 'Everything Will Be Alright' is rather weak. Once you've listened to it, you become desperate for more of their material so check out B-sides such as 'Under the Gun', The Ballad of Michael Valentine, Change your mind and Who Let You Go!
GO BUY NOW!

4.0 out of 5 stars believe me everybody..this is your last chance to disco..., 9 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Hot Fuss (Audio CD)
Album of The Year in My View!
I Got This months back after hearing Mr Brightside on mtv2 and Hot Fuss is not what i expected. Somebody Told Me and All These Things that I've Done are the stand out tracks and have since become singles. Id rate them all 9/10.
Other Tracks that stand out are the opener Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, i guess hes being accused of murder here, and Andy you're a Star roaring and emotional.
My personal fave is Believe me Natalie, some people said it was filler but i really like it cant put my finger on why...
The only bad tracks or not bad but not to the quality of the Mr Brightside and somebody told me are Indie Rock and Roll, yes its a snark at americas views to what define indie rockers, but after that you cant take it seriously whats the point?! Everything Will Be alright the last track is stodgy and i just think its weird.
But if you've heard the Singles and are making up youre mind whether to buy this, my Vote is Yes. Hot Fuss is The Perfect Blend Of 80'sIndieDanceRock complete with excellent use of Synths and vocals. eventually you wont get it out of you're head.. buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not one bad track, 4 July 2007
This review is from: Hot Fuss (Audio CD)
This is a truly great album. Unlike so many modern day albums it's not just a case of a few singles surrounded by filler tracks. A truly superb debut album which gets better and better upon repeated listens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer, incredible energy. Buy it., 10 Jun 2004
This review is from: Hot Fuss (Audio CD)
I first heard a very early version of "Somebody Told Me" - the first single to get The Killers' name heard around six months ago, and have since been waiting eagerly for their album "Hot Fuss" to be released. I bought it at 9am on the day of its release.
Believe me, it was worth the wait.
This album is fantastic.
The top-ten single Mr Brightside will undoubtedly be what compels many people to buy this album, but that's in no way the only reason to buy "Hot Fuss".
The album opens with raw energy and power in "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine", and this power is sustained throughout the LP. With most tracks written by the lead singer (and synth player) Brandon Flowers and the bass player Mark Stoermer, this "glamorous indie rock & roll" band impress from start to finish.
Brandon Flowers has a brilliantly powerful voice, and despite being from Las Vegas, he sings in a slightly English accent. With a little help from a Gospel choir on "All These Things That I've Done" (you'll find yourself singing "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier" in your sleep) and "Andy, You're A Star", Flowers portrays love, jealousy, confusion and just plain fun with absolute perfection.
It's as if the best elements of The Cure, Franz Ferdinand, David Bowie and The Clash have formed a military alliance and agreed to call themselves The Killers.
This is a rare occasion on which I'll say "Believe the hype".
Trust me, The Killers are out to impress.

Hot Fuss
Hot Fuss by The Killers (Audio CD - 2004)