5.0 out of 5 stars The Seventies' Best Kept Secret
One of the 70s best kept secrets, Lone Star (not to be confused with the American radio-friendly C&W/pop band of same name) shone briefly but brightly in the UK pomp-rock firmament just before the punks came along.
Published on 18 Aug 2004 by Mr. R. B. Ager

1.0 out of 5 stars could be great but wouldn't know
I would like to give this a great review however I have never received it !
Published on 31 Oct 2010 by Costagooner

5.0 out of 5 stars The Seventies' Best Kept Secret, 18 Aug 2004
Mr. R. B. Ager "Ronald Ager" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lone Star/Firing On All Six (Audio CD)
Someone lent me their eponymous debut LP (tracks 1-7 here) and I subsequently bought my own copy, largely on the strength of the deliciously OTT eight-and-a-half minute version of the Beatles' "She Said She Said" (curiously abridged to "She Said" on the cover), which sounded like a cross between Led Zep and Free. The rest of the album, which was produced by Roy Thomas Baker in his inimitable bombastic style a la Queen, struggled to live up to the opener; there's plenty of expansive drumming and the tracks rocked, but vocalist Kenny Driscoll was certainly no Freddie Mercury (or even Brian May) and it was hard not to make comparisons. "Flying In The Reel", which has echoes of Queen's "Tie Your Mother Down", was the most memorable.
For the second album, "Firing On All Six" (tracks 8-15 here) the band changed lead vocalist and producer; John Sluman coming in on the former and Gary Lyons stepping up from engineer to replace RTB as the latter. The result was a much tighter, almost funky rocking sound, no less powerful (although in the transfer to CD it does in one or two places sound slightly compressed) but certainly less contrived and much more tuneful. The tracks "Crafty Jack" to "Lovely Lubina" are positively catchy, and then the sucker punch is the employment of Jeff Wayne's expertise in the string department to conjure a corny but lovely ballad, "Seasons In Your Eyes", which segues nicely into the hard-rocking "Rivers Overflowing" before you know it. How they managed to only reach No 36 in the album charts with it defies all logic; it certainly defeated the band, which dissolved shortly after.
The band were certainly derivative, of just about every big-name rock band of the time; you can hear bits of UFO, Wishbone Ash, Supertramp, ELO, as well as Queen and Led Zep mentioned earlier. But the second album demonstrated great musicianship and songwriting ability, and I would say it is every bit as good and powerful as any from today's hard rock acts and well worth five stars on its own. I've been waiting with baited breath for nigh on twenty years for this re-issue on CD and have not been disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great albums! Pity about the production!, 12 Dec 2005
Mark53 (BRIGHTON, EAST SUSSEX United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lone Star/Firing On All Six (Audio CD)
These are really two ends of over production and under production. The first album produced by Roy Thomas-Baker of Queen fame smothers it in his normal way which reaches its zenith on the 'unknown soldier' track where a potentially gteat middle sections is totally RUINED by special effects and explosions-just horrible. Yet on tracks like 'a million stars' it sounds like the band are in a side room smothered with echo. For Queen he was mannah (if you can stand there pomposity-i never could) but for a good rock band he really ruins their debut. Come the second album and John Sloman (he of the Plant posturing witness the BBC 'in concert'performance) is added to great effect, but this time around the sound is weak and you're longing for the guitars to be pumped up fully-instead of sounding thin and weedy. Nevertheless i can't fault chestnuts like 'bells of berlin' and 'all of us' but wish the sound was fully and POWERFUL. Still always was surprised they didn't make it big (apparently they were reluctant to leave Wales in the first place and locate to England).

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for Lone Star, 29 Sep 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Lone Star/Firing On All Six (Audio CD)
Thank God someone's had the foresight to release these two alblums. I've ditched ALL my cassette tapes but kept only one with Lone Star and Firing On All Six. I even had to keep a tape player just to listen to it. What do I think? Well, underrated, complex, harmonious, a touch of pomp-rock, Deep Purple, Zeppelin and a whole bunch of other influences thrown in make these albums absolute crackers. They were just out of time, too late to make any headway in the onslaught of NWOBHM. My favourite track is the closing one on F.O.A.S. - All of us to all of you. To sum up, if you're a 70's rock fan then these two albums should be in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 29 Dec 2006
Mr. Kevin Tierney (manchester, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lone Star/Firing On All Six (Audio CD)
god bless planet rock; i heard bells of berlin a few months ago, which reminded me that i'd seen lone star twice in the 70s80s; supporting frank marino's mahogeny rush at newcastle city hall in 77ish, and on stage after midnight at leicester university's student ball in 1980, how the mighty had fallen.

some superb songs, fantastic bass, and the more i listen to the back to back albums, the better each track get. diolch yn fawr lone star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirit of '76...??, 12 July 2004
Mr RGL Williams (Brackley, Northants Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lone Star/Firing On All Six (Audio CD)
I borrowed the 1st Lone Star album from a school friend, and could never get past "She said, She Said", more fool me! This is classic stuff and I can't believe they didn't do better. The songs are great (especially "A New day") and the talent in the band awesome - especially the Rhythm section of Dixie Lee and Peter Hurley, who are as tight as a tight thing and fluid as you like. I even really warmed to Kenny Driscoll's vocals (didn't like them 1st time around - too much listening to Ronnie Dio!!). My School mate and I must have been about the only ones who bought the second album, which has all the virtues of the 1st one, with John Sloman replacing Driscoll. The standard of the material and the sheer quality of the playing is mighty, and Sloman is interestingly different to Kenny Driscoll. It's a shame it all went pear-shaped after this, though a third album (also pretty darned good) eventually came out 3-4 years ago. This band had the talent to be huge, but were in the wrong place at the wrong time. John Sloman went off to Uriah heep, and then the Gary Moore band, so he was clearly no mug; Dixie Lee (absolutely awesome drummer!!)joined "Wild Horses", but then disappered; Peter Hurley is still gigging in pub/club bands apparently, whilst Tony Smith (guitar), Rik Worsnop (Keys) and Kenny Driscoll seem to have disappeared all together. The most successful Lone Star Alumnus seems to have been Paul Chapman (or "Tonka" to his mates, aparently) who finally joined the mighty UFO afer Schenker threw one wobbly too many and was just as good; after that he wound up in Waysted and has apparently sloped off to Florida, wise man! Another great Welsh band; Man, we could do with more like them!!

5.0 out of 5 stars cracking, 11 Oct 2010
bart4books "db" (bristol, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lone Star/Firing On All Six (Audio CD)
I came across Lone Star listening to John Peel just before he got into punk and I was blown away given that Led Zep, Queen and Free were three of my favourite bands. Their music consumately combined all three. Their first LP got worn out from constant playing and they were just as good live. But punk/ new wave came along and I never got round to buying their second LP and it certainly got no air time although reviews were good at the time. So I was looking forward to hearing it after all these years. I was not disappointed. Rip roaring rock from start to finish. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great overlooked U.K. hard rock band, 13 May 2004
Nick C (Middleton, Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lone Star/Firing On All Six (Audio CD)
Lone Star burst on the scene with their Roy Thomas Baker produced LP "Lone Star" here packaged with their second album "Firing on all Six".
The 1st album featuring the singer Kenny Driscoll kicks of with a totally over the top cover of "She Said" by the Beatles, this is an awesome track and sets the feel for the rest of the album.
The playing is just so good and the songwriting is superb. One of my favourite all time songs "Spaceships" comes along a few songs in and I can still see myself in my bedroom with a tennis raquet belting out the power chords at the start of the song (Hey I'm not ashamed..I eventually learnt to play a real guitar!). The album finishes with "Illusions" fading away to the sound of the sea.
The bands second album "Firing on all Six" sees a new vocalist in the ranks in the shape of John Sloman. The album was not quite as well received as the first which baffles me as I prefer it. It kicks off with the sublime "Bells of Berlin" which graced the decks of many a rock DJ in the clubs I used to go to! Keyboards swirl around from speaker to speaker. Paul Chapman (later to join UFO) plays up a storm throughout. "Crafty Jack" the next song up has a great feel to it and "Seasons in Your Eyes" is a brilliant ballad. There are some wonderful songs on both the albums.
Sadly this is all the legacy that the band left, Paul Chapman joined UFO as mentioned previously and John Sloman went on to join Uriah Heep for the Conquest album and has just recently released a second solo album.
Top album buy and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lone Star -- Firing on all cylinders!, 22 July 2004
Mike Goode "thehophouse" (Tunbridge Wells) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lone Star/Firing On All Six (Audio CD)
Simply the most underated hard rock band of the 70s. Two great albums -- the first perhaps slightly more 'progressive' and the second more funky (a la Zeppelin). They were great live too -- although only unofficial recordings exist as evidence of this (the BBC sessions CD is relatively lame). If you're into Zeppelin, UFO, Budgie etc etc you will like Lone Star!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for Lone Star, 11 April 2009
C. Pakes "Pakesie" (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lone Star/Firing On All Six (Audio CD)
I owned the first album, Lone Star, on cassette and when that finally gave up and became the victim of the capstain head, I was devastated! Until luckily I discovered this CD on Amazon.

My personal fave from the Lone Star album is 'She Said' with its vibrant and 'arena' style beginning...I envy anyone who got to see this band live as I would have loved to have been in the audience when this track kicked off!

There's an informative booklet with the CD that maps the bands brief history.

All in all a really essential purchase for any rock fans of the 70's era...or for anyone who wishes to hear a classic and underated British rock band, easily in the same league as Thin Lizzy, Uriah Heep etc.

Buy this without hesitation!!

4.0 out of 5 stars ... local pub scene with another rock group which were brilliant as I saw them a few times cant remember ..., 15 July 2014
This review is from: Lone Star/Firing On All Six (Audio CD)
I have both of these lone star albums on vinyl and have wanted to get it for ages on cd the drummer lives in the same town as me and he played the local pub scene with another rock group which were brilliant as I saw them a few times cant remember what they were called but they split up I still see the drummer in town sometimes (Dixie lee) this is classic rock at its best they where on the way to the big time but split up after only these 2 albums they turned up 3 days before delivery date very happy.

Lone Star/Firing On All Six
Lone Star/Firing On All Six by Lonestar (Audio CD - 2004)