5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 25 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: These Songs For You, Live! (US Release) (Audio CD)
Simply the best "live" soul album of all time by simply the best soul voice of all time. Ideal for die-hard fans as there's plenty of previously unreleased material including an outstanding version of Stevie's "Superwoman" and if you've yet to discover Donny, then treat yourself, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Unmatchable Genius', 27 Jun. 2008
Antony May (East Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: These Songs For You, Live! (US Release) (Audio CD)
For me, there never has been, nor will be, a better Black vocalist than Donny Hathaway. He was quite simply the man that set the standard and this record conclusively proves my point. Culled from various live albums and performances ( a good number of these tracks are previously unreleased) Hathaway and his band simply FORCE you to listen and there is no better way to define GENIUS than that is there? While a lot of the material on this (and a lot of Donny's original studio albums) are not Hathaway originals, you just try and listen to say 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother' and tell me that it's a Hollies song! The spirit, soul and emotions of Hathaway the man and the performer are brilliantly captured on this record and the way that he manages to get the audience to participate and 'tune in' to his vibe here is spellbinding. That the world lost such a monumental talent as Hathaway at the ridiculous age of 33 is one of the saddest tales of all time, thankfully however, before he left, he left us with this record. AN ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL PURCHASE.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's Going On? Peerless Musical Genius!, 8 Oct. 2011
Sebastian Palmer "sebuteo" (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: These Songs For You, Live! (US Release) (Audio CD)
This is a stunning album, and would be worth the asking price (it'd be a steal at almost any amount, in my books: what price can you put on truly soulful expression?) even if it were only for Donny Hathaway's truly awesome rendition of Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On?' But of course there's much more than that to be had here.

I love George Benson's In Flight version of 'Valdez In The Country', but it's nice to hear the composer's own version here, and I always love it when I get a bit of funky soulful five-time: Donny counts off the first tune in 5/4! He also turns in some beautiful covers of famous pop tunes of the day, including very soulful renditions of Carole King's 'You've Got A Friend', and The Beatles 'Yesterday'. There's a magisterial version of Stevie Wonder's 'Superwoman', and it's a feature of the material here that a lot of it is in fact both mellow and intense.

Donny's singing is truly amazing, and his keys work is superb as well. The band is awesome, featuring such stellar sidemen as guitarist Phil Upchurch, bassist Willie Weeks, keys man Richard Tee and drummer Fred White (brother of EW&F founder Maurice White), and they really cook, whether on soulful simmer or bubbling cauldron of funk mode. It's great that this version of this concert adds some previously unreleased tracks, and also an interview. What's become of his 'Life' symphony? Anybody know?

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 24 Dec. 2009
Cecilia Hope (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: These Songs For You, Live! (US Release) (Audio CD)
I met the love of my love again after 20 years of separation and searching for each other. He played "A Song For You" for me and it was the best gift he could have given me apart from himself. Like the other reviewer I cannot believe I had not heard him before especially as I grew up with O.C Smith, Shirley Bassey, Nat King Cole, etc etc all my dads music.

Wow This man is incredible. I have never heard such music. It gets right into your soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 April 2010
This review is from: These Songs For You, Live! (US Release) (Audio CD)
Brilliant, this man is a genius, who like most truly talented people are not with us for very long, he has left us his legacy, I for one am truly grateful for that

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Mr Hathaway, 4 Feb. 2009
S. Rabone - See all my reviews
This review is from: These Songs For You, Live! (US Release) (Audio CD)
This is a joy of an album; it's the first one I've bought of Donny Hathaway as I wasn't familiar with him until I heard him on the radio the day before buying this.
It is a little strange to listen to this as a "live set", but most people would agree that it adds to the ambience. Definitely a good starting point; I plan to add more to my collection.

These Songs For You, Live! (US Release)
These Songs For You, Live! (US Release) by Donny Hathaway (Audio CD - 2004)