5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device
We have a large mains powered DAB radio in the bedroom which is OK. Needed a unit for listening to the Test match outside so purchased the Phillips.
Very neat and easy to use. Good reception in South Birmingham. Excellent FM recption as well.
Fits inside coat pocket and battery life is good.
Mains charger light as well so unit good for travelling.
Car...
Published on 30 July 2005 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by the two battery benefit
The radio is great quality; intuitive menus, fab reception (in and around Cheltenham), great clarity. I swapped the Philips earphones, which are ok, for Sony MDR-EX71SLs. These seemed to hang onto good reception longer (probably because they are physically longer).
Published on 23 Sep 2004 by Milton Mole

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by the two battery benefit, 23 Sep 2004
This review is from: Philips Portable DAB Radio DA1000 (Electronics)
The major let down is the battery life. I get about 2 hours of DAB out of one charge. Other makes go for a three battery configuration; maybe Philips should have done the same.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating Radio, 30 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Philips Portable DAB Radio DA1000 (Electronics)
When I received the radio I immediately realised that portablility was difficult due to loud and annoying interference, especially when moving. I live in a strong signal area...West London.
Still, when it worked and remained still, the sound quality was better than FM...but there was much more digital interference than my trusty, and much cheaper, Sony Walkman portable radio.
I like listening to the radio at night...often all night. I soon realised that the battery charge lasted only 5 to 7 hours, not enough to get through a single night. By contrast, the trusty Sony can go through a whole week of all-nighters on a single charge or set of batteries.
In any event, I soon discovered that the radio, the Philips, stopped charging rechargeable batteries altogether.
So, in order to use the Philips at all I had to use it with the mains connector connected. I was prepared to endure the tangle of wires to get a night's worth of listening.
But, shortly after the warranty ran out even with the slightest of movement, the power now quits. I can jiggle it a bit and turn it back on, but who wants to that at 2 o'clock in the morning? And then it will quit again...at the slightest movement. Worse, when the power quits, so do the presets! The result, the radio is useless. It would be far better to buy one of the many excellent non-portable DAB radios than this. The ergonomics are terrible. It is fiddly to use. When picking it up, it takes an effort to avoid turing it off or on. In fairness, this may be a common feature with DAB portbles.
Clearly it was a premature and disastrous rush to the marketplace...oh, yes and expensive!
The enclosed earphones fell apart within two months of purchase. The Sennheisers which replaced the Philips have given perfect service for over a year...and they have not come apart!
You might think that I am a product abuser. In fact, I am 66 years old and have used the radio mainly in bed!!!
And Philips? They do not want to know. I expect they are hiding under a rock somewhere. This is an expensive and, for me, worthless product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with this DAB, 6 May 2006
This review is from: Philips Portable DAB Radio DA1000 (Electronics)
I bought one of these pocket DAB radios. For about ten days it worked just fine and then after about 10 minutes use it emitted a high pitched whine and stopped working. The only way to switch it off was to remove the batteries. Amazon were great in replacing the faulty radio but - guess what? - the replacement arrived and would not work! I switched it on, the display said "welcome", blanked out of all text but stayed illuminated and nothing else happened. Again, I had to remove the batteries just to switch the thing off. After getting two faulty units, I'm not going to give it a third try and I've asked for a refund.

Buy something else!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device, 30 July 2005
This review is from: Philips Portable DAB Radio DA1000 (Electronics)
Fits inside coat pocket and battery life is good.
Mains charger light as well so unit good for travelling.
Car has Aux socket and works well in good reception area's. Will recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 13 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Philips Portable DAB Radio DA1000 (Electronics)
I received this DAB radio as an xmas present and thought it was perfect, particularly with the rechargeable batteries.
After xmas I fully charged it and set off to work.
Reception was great, but then I only use it in London so cannot comment beyond that.
Two days later the radio switched off. I had only used it for a couple of hours and it had run out of juice.
I plugged it in to recharge and the recharging unit wouldn't work. I had to recharge the batteries in a separate recharging unit which I happen to have.
Next time I got about 4 hrs of use before it gave in.
What is really annoying is that there is no indication it is running low. There are three power bars showing when fully charged and the radio switches off within minutes of dropping to two bars.
I found I could then play FM radio for a while longer before this too gave in.
I think the batteries are not very good so will try better quality ones, as suggested by another reviewer, to see if this helps.
Having read other reviews it seems a bit hit or miss. People either think it's great and have no problems or it just doesn't work. I appear to have a bit of both.

1.0 out of 5 stars ONE GAME AND GUESS WHAT?, 15 Aug 2006
Mr. M. Joy (Oldham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Portable DAB Radio DA1000 (Electronics)
Regular at Boundary Park Oldham UK to watch the latics with my digital radio following the other results. Not possible with the Philips Dab radio. Used it for six games , the on/off switch would not work. Returned the goods to amazon who replaced the radio no quibble. Football season ends. Football season begins, ONE GAME AND GUESS WHAT? The on/off switch broke. Cant be bothered with the rigmarloe of return etc, etc, etc, very disappointed with this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, 10 April 2006
C. Hallows "kitchen shy" (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Portable DAB Radio DA1000 (Electronics)
Bought this as a xmas present 2004 for my husband so that he could use it for work. He works on average 2/3 days per week and it has packed in. The on/off button no longer works, Philips won't repair or replace it and advise us to purchase one of their alternative models. Fat chance!

1.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 31 Mar 2006
This review is from: Philips Portable DAB Radio DA1000 (Electronics)
Was given this for Christmas but by end of Feb the on/off button didn't work. The design is quite obviously faulty. My advice, avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Common problem - on/off button, 23 May 2006
B. Forde (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Portable DAB Radio DA1000 (Electronics)
Great looking radio and it works well. But, just like many other reviewers, the on/off button has given up the ghost after only a month of 'medium' use. The button itself is very weak and it has always required effort to turn it on/off. Simply a design fault. I'm going to replace, not exchange.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product - one 'niggle', 31 July 2005
Mr. Jon Forster "sensor" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Philips Portable DAB Radio DA1000 (Electronics)
Its a good radio and has replaced a previous 'analoge' portable Philips radio.
The one 'niggle' is that the headphone adaptor goes in at the side and not the top. Pretty stupid if you ask me as most will want to put it in a pocket. It also makes the bag you get to protect it of less use as you need to 'squeeze in' the headphones if plugged in.
One tip - set the scan to be 'everywhere' and not just local. I picked up 10 more stations!

Philips Portable DAB Radio DA1000