5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Joystick
I have had several joysticks over the years. I was tempted to stick with Saitek, despite their calibration weaknesses. However, I decided to take a chance and buy the Black Widow Flight Stick.

I'm so glad I did. It's superb and fantastic value-for-money!

Published on 17 Sep 2008 by zoo keeper

2.0 out of 5 stars Smooth but limited movement
The shame about this stick is that it is actually pleasant to operate and smooth, provided you are happy with the extremely limited control. The problem is that the pitch and roll axis reach their maximum deflection way before the physical movement of the stick reaches the stops.

Published on 3 Dec 2012 by R Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Joystick, 17 Sep 2008
zoo keeper "menagerie" (Romsey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick (Accessory)

I'm so glad I did. It's superb and fantastic value-for-money!

It is solidly built and feels weighty. I don't need the optional suckers to keep it firmly on my desk. It's far more impressive than the images suggest.

The buttons are nicely placed and have a nice "feel" to them. There is a trigger and three buttons on the stick (+ hat switch). There are also four large buttons on the base of the unit. No buttons are placed where they can be pressed in error.

The throttle lever is a meaty affair with a satisfying drag. It's much more realistic than the usual small levers offered by rivals.

It has a built in vibration system, which works better than some of the force feedback sticks I've owned in the past.

The icing on the cake is the rudder control. Instead of the usual twist grip (which I always find awkward) it has a solid-feeling finger bar at the rear of the throttle lever. It acts the same as rudder pedals.

The only down side for me is that I now want to replace the Saitek joystick on my secondary PC...

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Widow Joystick Just The Job!, 16 Mar 2009
Alan Argent (Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick (Accessory)
I bought the Speedlink Black Widow Joystick to use with Microsoft Flight Simulator X and have been delighted with it.

It has a USB connector and the software loaded first time with no problems.

It's a robust, sizeable rectangular-shaped unit with whacking great suction pads underneath, but they're not really needed that much as the unit is reasonably heavy per se.

The throttle unit is nice and firm and includes yaw control. The joystick is similarly robust and the stick shakers operate superbly well.

Also mounted around the joystick assembly are a trigger for brakes (or guns I suppose), Top Hat all round view button, and three further buttons (F2 to F4) for various functions. A further 4 buttons (F5 to F8) are mounted at the base of the rectangular assembly and can control the flaps.

In summary, a fine product and worth the cash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with IL2, 20 Feb 2008
D. Williams "DanJ75" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick (Accessory)
Really pleased with this; great little stick, throttle and rudder package for budget money that doesn't feel or look cheap (it's German made so that should give you a clue as to its quality). Was easy to set up and works first time with my sim of choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class, 6 Mar 2009
Djordje Dragovic (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick (Accessory)
This joystick is falling into middle-price category, but actually it is first class. My earlier joystick was Cyborg Evo, which is even more expensive than BW, but not so good - not at all.

First, this joystick has rubberized grip on stick and power lever, which is so appealing, that sometimes I put my hands on it even without playing games - just to have that fantastic feel.
Than, it is very precise, comfortable, heavy-feeling, solid piece of hardware. For me, it changed whole game (Il-2). Its feedback vibration system is giving you a lot of warning if the plane is about to stall or spin. Original idea to put rudder control on throttle lever is just incredibly well-thought and executed.
All in all ,(and there is many more good features to mention, but that will lengthen my review too much) I am thankful to people who wrote reviews here about Black Widow, because they were very accurate.
This is smashing stick&throttle , enormous value for money, the best joystick I ever bought.And it works better than advertised!

5.0 out of 5 stars A pilot's perspective, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick (Accessory)
I am a British licensed private pilot, and I wanted to try this because I intend to learn to fly on instruments properly, in cloud if necessary - which I am not legally allowed to do at present. With flying lessons costing about 150-200 pounds per hour depending on the craft flown and a minimum of 15 hours to fly to complete the course, it makes a lot of sense to practice instrument procedures, approaches, etc on the ground. That way, I can achieve my goals with the minimum hours possible spent training.

I use FS2004 for this, mainly. I had a Logitech Wingman Force Feedback joystick for ages that I used to use with it, but I could never get the smoothness that I can get in the air. It really was like flying on a bad day, even when FS2004 was set up with calm conditions!

I was thinking of going for the Saitek flight yoke and throttle quadrant, but I'm not a bottomless pit of money and I thought I would try this out and see if I can save a hundred pounds or so.

Well worth it. I have completed two flights that I don't think I could have achieved with the old joystick, these being Cardiff to Gloucester flying a DME arc/NDB approach, and Cardiff to Bristol flying vectors followed by an ILS approach.

I found that the throttle is very sensitive and has a good amount of friction, perhaps a little bit more than I am used to in the aeroplanes I fly; no bad thing.

The joystick centres really well, and I have been able to set the dead zone to almost nothing. This is so good that you can take your hands off the controls in smooth enough air for minutes without setting the autopilot, and if you have set the attitude and power correctly, the aircraft will fly straight and level for you. That's just like how it is in a real aeroplane. (The spam cans I fly don't tend to have autopilots.)

I set up F3 and F4 as my elevator trim. Trimming is more difficult on the flight simulator than in the air, but it is just about manageable. I don't know anything that could simulate trim well, since it is so sensitive.

I do not recommend the use of the vibration feature which caused problems with my Windows 7 64-bit system. It worked, but it heavily taxed the computer while doing so. Apart from the buffet you feel through the controls when you are close to the stall, you don't really feel much if any vibration of the flight yoke or control stick in the air, so this really is just a gimmick.

I don't know if I'm allowed to quote the price on here because it could vary, but let's just say this is the joystick you're looking for if you want to do accurate flight simulation on a budget. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great joystick but a warning..., 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick (Accessory)
Be careful if you are planning to use this with FSX on Windows 7. Do not install the included driver disc, just let windows recognise it as "plug and play". The driver is not compatible with FSX and WIndows 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional performance and great value for money, 15 Feb 2014
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick (Accessory)
As something of a veteran gamer, having enjoyed this hobby through my early Spectrum days, then a step up to my much loved Amiga, a few consoles along the way and finally a high-spec PC, I've got through a great many joysticks in my time. The Speedlink Black Widow flightstick is, without a doubt, the best joystick I have ever used.

First impressions are that it is a very sizeable unit, measuring some 10" x 6" (25cm x 15cm) and the joystick itself stands around 10" high. Its sheer mass means it's reasonably stable on your computer desk, but add the four twist-in suction cups and you have a truly solid platform. The joystick and throttle have a partially-rubberised finish, making them pleasant to the touch.

The drivers supplied on CD install in a matter of seconds, then it was time to eagerly fire up M'soft FSX to see exactly how this bad boy performs.

First I had a look around, using the convenient "hat" switch mounted on the top right of the joystick. This is extremely responsive and makes a quick check of your aircraft's instrument panel an absolute doddle. Next I eased the chunky-great throttle lever gently forward and listened to the mighty engines of my virtual DC-3 rev realistically. Then it was time to ease the joystick back and ... whoa.. what was that? Yes, I involuntarily put the vibration effect to the test - and found it way too intense for my liking. Vibration kicks in whenever your aircraft climbs, dives or banks by anything more than the slightest degree. Time to pause my flight, load the Megastore Game Controllers Properties dialog (in Control Panel) and reduce the vibration effect to a more reasonable 20% (if you prefer a more intense buzz then, by all means leave it at the default). OK, back to my flight. Undercarriage and flaps are mapped by default to existing buttons and, obviously you can customise the 8 buttons to meet your own criteria. Rudder controls as a rocking switch on the throttle stick were a nice touch too.

This gives a far more realistic feel than the standard Logitech controller I previously used and is orders of magnitude better than struggling to make do with the keyboard. At a fraction of the price of the Saitek or Pro-Flight controllers, the Black Widow flightstick is an indispensable purchase for flight sim fans on a moderate budget.

Came securely packaged after three days.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X is one of the most entertaining software packages ever produced and a lovely piece of hardware like this makes it even better.
I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Have to go now and land my Airbus A320 at Malta's Luqa airport!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 17 Jun 2009
Mr. J. Annang "Joshua" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick (Accessory)
This product is worth the money, in comparision to the other joysticks out there in this price range, i would say this has to be the best. The only trouble that i've had with this product has been with the drivers, there dont seem to be any 64 bit drivers for it so i cant get the vibration feature working, apart from that theres nothing else to complain about and this is well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome joystick1, 18 Aug 2011
This review is from: Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick (Accessory)
Received this today and I'm very pleased with it so far. Build quality is excellent and the rubberized finish on the stick and throttle lever is nice. There is a small hand rest area on the base of the stick. The stick is not too sensitive but adjustments can be made to suit your own needs. The throttle lever is very resistive but I think with more use this will change. The buttons are ideally placed. You don't twist the stick for the rudder. There is a rudder rocker on the throttle which is original and makes it easier IMO. It's pressure sensitive too! The buttons on the stick are well placed. My last joystick did not have a hat switch and after using this function for 10 seconds, I'll never know how I managed without one. The four buttons on the base do feel cheap but they are large and easy to press when your concentrating.

I use this joystick for FSX. I read the reviews on here before I ordered it and was made aware of certain problems with the driver software. I had NO problems whatsoever and i'm running Windows 7 64bit. You only need to install the driver if you want the vibration anyway. Otherwise it's Plug & Play. I tested this on all the default FSX aircraft and some add-ons (PMDG 747-400X, 737NGX). Everything runs as sweet as a nut! Much more accurate flying than with my old joystick.

For the price, this is a fab joystick. Well worth the money!

2.0 out of 5 stars Smooth but limited movement, 3 Dec 2012
R Young (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick (Accessory)

The result is that this makes both pitch and roll extremely sensitive, so that for example flying an FSX aircraft and trying making subtle movements in pitch, the total "throw" of the stick from zero deflection to maximum is tiny. The same happens in the roll axis, where maximum aileron deflection occurs way before the stick reaches the left/right movement.

I contacted Speedlink and they confirmed that this is indeed hard wired into the device and there is no way to adjust it. Joysticks are generally lacking in total movement as it is. But with this device the effective "throw" from zero pitch or roll to maximum is way too small. This is a design flaw that makes this stick not really useable for any decent flying control. The shame is that the rest of the Black Widow is rather good, with excellent, smooth throttle control and plenty of buttons for other functions, including a working pan switch/hat.

Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick