Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 May 2006
I came to this album knowing very little about Hot Chip. And it is such a quiet gem that it has wormed its way into being one of the best albums I have heard all year. Gentle beats, funny lyrics and a really soothing vibe. In some respects it reminds me of the better moments of the Beta Band, so I guess if you like them, you might like this. Highly recommended.
on 23 April 2004
On the first listen of Hot Chip's debut album, a few tracks definitelystand out from the rest and you can be sure that some of thesesuper-catchy tunes will be released as follow-ups to the 'Down withPrince' EP. Other tunes are definite 'growers', getting better with everylisten - with some fun, memorable melodies this is an album you can listento on repeat and not get bored with.
In a recent write-up, NME dubbedHot Chip's sound 'slapcore' - a pretty meaningless description! It ismore a fusion of light electro/soul with modern/urban beats, resulting ina warm and uplifting harmonious balance of old and new musical stlyes.
Intricate yet subtly varied rythms and an array of novel sounds keepmany of Hot Chip's songs bubbling happily along, making this album apleasure to listen to every time.
Recommended to buy!
on 25 April 2007
3 and a bit stars as an album, with one 5 star song...

Yes, definitely an album for 'particular' tastes; never going to be 'mainstream' with a collection of songs like this.

Commendable for their 'experimentalism' with song structuring and instrumental/electronic arrangements.

However, I'm principally writing this blurb to tell one and all about the song called 'Baby Said' - it is an absolute golden nugget of a song tucked away near the end of this album...simple yet sublime...check it out.

Personally I find the vocals unique and engaging - the lead singer is an artist whose voice doesn't sound like a dozen others'...always refreshing...

And yes, as one reviewer said, t'was worth keeping an eye on these musical mashers - the boys got better (generalisation) with their later album "The Warning" [2006]. Now that is an album I would give 4-5 stars and recommend to many more people...
on 19 July 2005
This is a fantastic album with catchy songs and innovative production. Listen to it a few times and you will be hooked.
on 30 March 2010
Great CD if your a Indie/Elctro fan then this album is for you. an absolute classic!
on 3 March 2006
listening to this album makes me want to take my socks off and run around the streets of putney dressed up like i'm from some other age. they out funked goldfrapp at Brixton - these boys are the next big thing.
on 16 August 2005
I'll start with "Just buy it". You don't realise you need it, but you just do. I can't explain why but you just do. When you play this CD something happens to you, you become chilled and quite unstressed through its hypnotic, mesmerising and ultra cool beats. "Once you start you just can't stop" as they say, this one is on re-wind for definite - Awesome CD.. Trust me I'm not wrong..
on 3 May 2006
Hot chip present muscial ideas that display great potential. Unfortunatley they failed to engage me fully and I was left feeling dissapointed.

They combine lo-fi beats with interesting synth sounds and laid back vocals. The downtempo mellow tracks that arise are pleasant enough, but they just seem to lack that element of quality that draws you in. The ideas are not worked well enough and this left the tracks sounding too minimal.

I was drawn to the group by the excellent single over and over but this album displays none of the memorable quality of the single.

I can see how other reviewers enjoyed this and perhaps if you are a big fan of this style you will too. But for me it was lifeless and stilted
on 17 September 2015