5.0 out of 5 stars Best Advice EVER!!
Published on 8 Mar 2009 by C. STACEY

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and too thou shalt
I bought this on the recommendation of a friend, and I deeply regret it. The author seems to be deliberately controversial against current NHS and NCT guidance - this can make it very frustrating if you're having problems and need the on site help as all the advice contradicts. She goes against nose to nipple which everyone else will tell you is right. I've had loads...
Published on 10 Feb 2011 by Ms. S. Salisbury

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Advice EVER!!, 8 Mar 2009
C. STACEY (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breast Feeding Without Tears With Clare Byam-Cook [DVD] (DVD)
I cannot recommend this DVD highly enough! I saw many lactation consultants who told me everything was perfect but it still hurt. Watching this DVD while feeding helped me correct my technique immediately and instantly it no longer hurt! I buy this for all my pregnant friends and also loan my copy out within my mothers group etc. IF YOU WANT HELP .... LOOK NO FURTHER THAN THIS DVD - AMAZING, BRILLIANT, IT WORKS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this before the baby comes, 11 July 2004
By A Customer
This video is brilliant. The first part is an antenatal class during which Clare Byam Cook gives lots of advice. The most useful part (and the reason I give it five stars) , however, is the second during which she details three case studies. Seeing her advice put into practise is so helpful, and the pictures of contented mums and babies are so inspirational.
I had cracked nipples and mastisis with feeding my first baby. I bought this video whilst pregnant with my second and watched it several times before she came. I used Clare's guidlines for positioning thi stime and have had no feeding problems at all. I can't recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING. A life saver, 15 Dec 2011
This DVD is amazing. I was struggling to breastfeed, and had received some pretty feeble advice/help from a variety of midwives (never seem to see the same one twice) and also completely rubbish advice from the NCT, who advised us that our babes would naturally find the nipple on their own and latch themselves on with no help from mother. Clare Byam-Cook's advice makes perfect sense and the DVD is thorough and easy to follow. I'd been feeling like a complete failure, and was an emotional wreck after 2 weeks of failed Breastfeeding, this DVD had us successfully feeding within a few seconds. Every first time mum should watch this DVD before giving birth - it would save all the agony both physical and emotional. Cant recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute life saver, 5 July 2012
If you are in pain breastfeeding, leave any doubts aside about what possible help this could be and don't put off getting this DVD. I struggled for two months in awful pain having never heard of Byam Cook. My baby wouldn't take a bottle and wanted to be fed all the time. I had absolutely no respite. Very difficult to bond when you are in agony. After watching this DVD I tweaked what I was doing accordingly, my nipples healed and it hurt no more. She is brilliant and all midwives / health care visitors / breast feeding counsellors should watch this DVD and pass on her advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars demonstrates how to breastfeed, addresses problems, 11 Oct 2011
I have seen this dvd a number of times over the last few years. It is so informative and helpful in demonstrating how to breastfeed, position baby correctly, and addresses problems such as sore nipples, mastitis etc. As an experienced Midwife, Clare is exactly the right person to produce this dvd. As a Maternity Nurse, I recommend this dvd to expectant mums as it gives good information on how to approach breastfeeding so that when baby is born, Mum knows something of what to expect.

5.0 out of 5 stars ignore bad reviews - buy this!, 5 Oct 2011
This DVD was the difference between success and failure for me. I have now been feeding for 4 months - no problems. We went from slow frustrating feeds and a grumpy hungry baby to quick feeds and a much happier little girl after following Clare's techniques. Resulting in us both getting more sleep due to less time spent feeding. Other advice was too vague, poorly illustrated and frankly just didn't work. I cannot recommend this highly enough. She is patronising and does handle the boobs and babies, but for me this is exactly why this is so useful - stand offish and "follow your intuition" advice is not helpful when you have been feeding your baby for hours and they are still hungry and you are both exhausted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, simple advice, easy to follow, 1 Jun 2009
Dr. Z. C. Goodman "sundayzo" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
I watched this DVD in the final weeks of pregnancy, wanting to arm myself in time. Claire Byam-Cook's mantra of 'Shape and Shove' made sense to me, rather than the bizarre advice about tickling baby's nose with your nipple etc. You wouldn't tickle a baby's nose with a bottle teat - you'd just put it in baby's mouth. Same applies to boobs. I found this DVD immensely helpful and I've now been breastfeeding my son for 4 months successfully with no sore nipples and no mastitis. I've even got 4 unopened tubes of Lansinoh. As a medical professional (GP) I will be recommending this DVD to my patients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you've done it before- still something to learn, 14 Jun 2009
K. L. Weeks (Marlborough, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm about to have my second child, and even though I breastfed the first for four months, I was "combination feeding" after the first 3 weeks- formula, breast and expressed breast milk- despite having no issues with the baby latching on, nipple soreness etc.
Breast feeding became a huge source of anxiety for me, mainly because I now realise (having watched this DVD/Video) that I probably have a slower "let down" reflex than other mothers, coupled with what was a big, hungry baby who seemed to want to feed for a long time and didn't settle very well.
Help and support at the time (this is 2006) was not good. In hospital I had to ask a midwife to come and watch a feed before I was discharged, in order to ensure I got some support before going home. When I got home, I seemed to get endless contradictory advice from midwives, health visitors, the NCT, maternity nurses, friends, books etc. This DVD (once you get over the slightly school marm-ish tone initially) succinctly summarises and demystifies it all. So far I have watched only part one, which is Clare talking to a group of mothers (part two demonstrates actual home visits and "real life" issues), but there is so much helpful information, presented simply and clearly I cannot understand why my NCT classes didn't make use of this- the one session we did have, with an "NCT breast feeding expert" demonstrated breast feeding using a crocheted "breast" and a doll! The message was similar to that experienced by a previous reviewer- breast feeding is wonderful! It's all good news! And all it did was help pile on the guilt when lo and behold, people began to struggle. (Incidentally NHS classes were worse- next to no information at all).
Given the huge amount of contradictory and probably out of date advice which is out there, I can't recommend this product highly enough. I have been there and done it and yet learned a lot from this, which has made me much more confident to try breastfeeding again the second time around. I may still end up combination feeding, but at least with the breast feeds I'll feel a little more like I finally know what I'm doing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starting point, and fantastic personal follow up!!!!!!!!! NOTE her specialism is PROBLEMS with breastfeeding!, 3 Sep 2013
In short I had a nightmare with my first son, I was unable to breastfeed and had mastitis and every other breastfeeding issue going and ended up expressing for 2.5 months until my milk ran out. The 'fashion' 2 years ago among midwives was to deny the baby any bottles or liquid until breastfeeding was established - I stupidly listened to this advice until a trip to A&E with a dangerously dehydrated jaundiced baby at 5 days old. This time someone recommended Clare so I bought the DVD. From first skin to skin contact I was able to latch and feed my second baby, it felt amazing, he fed well until the third day at home I was in agony, nipple blisters, cracks, stabbing shooting burning pain etc. So I contacted Clare and saw her personally (she is lovely, but no nosense and direct and very clear!). What was I doing wrong that I didn't get from the DVD...? I had the latch pretty well BUT I thought I had the baby close to me - I was actually leaning over him so much to check if he was on correctly I had both the pillow and him about 4 inches away - Clare moved both closer and had me resting on the pillow up against my ribs and the baby's lower shoulder touching the underside of my breast to roll him on to me - the pain was less instantly - if you watch the DVD it's all quite clear on there it's just very hard to see your own position until someone points out what you are doing wrong. In short I would not be able to feed my baby without this woman's help - the DVD was an excellent starting point. If you're lucky enough not to (like me) have what one Dr described as breasts that are perfectly designed with mastitis in mind, then you might not 'get' how much of a difference this lady can make, breastfeeding day 11 of my newborn and it's getting more comfortable and enjoyable all the time. There are some very negative things written about Clare, she's described as 'marmite' you either love her or hate her and some pretty vicious reviews, however, I've seen the DVD and it helped get me 80% of the way, and I've been to her personally - I would not be breastfeeding without her help and so I cannot recommended this DVD and her approach highly enough. Beware the label applied to her as 'old fashioned' since 'fashion' and breastfeeding are dangerous bedfellows, the 'fashionable advice' has changed a lot in the 2 years between my babies - I did the hospital classes and note that now they are more realistic and closer to Clare's teaching, if you're having problems, bad advice and current fashion in breastfeeding might just land you in A&E, this lady won't.

******3 MONTHS ON UPDATE******* My very happy baby is now 3 months, I'm barely using shields and he is more than double his birth weight, he feeds really well from both sides every feed AND he sleeps through the night!! - don't get bogged down with the details if you're having problems, just position - shape and 'shove' exactly like she says...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to breastfeeding, 16 Mar 2012
This DVD is a good introduction to breastfeeding. I watched it before I had my baby, after I had been to a breastfeeding workshop, and I felt it gave some good tips. It's a bit weird, there are these very plummy ladies in pashminas sitting around having a chat with Clare Byam-Cook, but most of what she says holds good. The only thing I'd say is that you don't need to pile up loads of pillows - I found the My Brest Friend cushion really good whilst my baby was little and by the time he got too big for it we'd both got the hang of it so didn't need all the pillows anymore.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›