Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 November 2008
An album full of beautiful tracks full of many instruments. I have never heard anything like this - Sufjan Stevens takes instruments we have become accustomed to hearing in certain genres, and uses them to create fantastic, rich sounds. The subject matters of the songs are covered from a childlike, frank perspective. Listening to this has set me on the hunt for his other albums...
on 12 February 2005
It isn't often that the world of possibility of music changes instantly. When you hear the first song of Greetings of Michigan, the world is a different place, by song 3 the impossibly ( and inappropriately " For the widows in paradise, for the fatherless in Ypisalini") it is too late. This is a truly great album. Truly great think: Bob Dylan:Blond on Blond, Joni Mitchell: Blue, Bruce Springstein: The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, Matttew Sweet:Altered Beast, Juliet Turner: Burn the Black Suit. Crosby, Stills & Nash: Deja Vue, Stan Rogers: Fogarty's Cove.
My 2 month old daughter is enraptured by this album. I like to listen to what I think are good tunes - she listens to what she likes. After 8 weeks she loves this album like nothing else. For a doting father nothing else: even her appreciiation for her mother and Bill Withers greatest hits is more compelling. Try the albums above, especially Juliet Turner (cause she is alive), and Stan Rogers if you love life. And if you've never heard Matthew Sweet - It's my pleasure to introduce you!
on 13 July 2004
This is a phenomenal album. I don't know where Sufjan Stevens has been hiding, but I've only been aware of him for a short period of time, and I truly believe that what we have here is a songwriter of genuine, rare talent. Musically intricate, lyrically expressive, the overall package is a work of simple beauty.
I can't wait to hear what he does next...
on 18 August 2014
A lovely album, have never heard of this chap before, another random result on Amazon for something else, but a good listen, varied tracks with differing tones, wondering if he did the rest of the states.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2004
Alike Elliot Smith vocally, Sufjan Stevens has a gift for writing simple poignant sings. Greeting from Michigan is a beautifully crafted album, Stevens playing the large majority of instruments himself. Tracks such as The Upper Peninsula, All Good Naysayers, Holland and Romulus really are an example of his talents.
A must for lovers of folky, chilled out music. Hints of The Polyphonic Spree and Elliot Smith among others. Lovely.
on 18 April 2015
A grower, not as instantly memorable as "Illinoise" but improves with every play. Sufjan is a remarkable talent who, to my mind, sounds better with horn and string arrangements.
on 23 June 2016
Brilliant, the best of his I have heard. Some great songs and music. Love it to bits.
on 2 May 2005
Gradually I have been listening to all Sufjans stuff and this is my most recent purchase and it was well worth the money...
It's a smooth and delicate mix of everything, very hard to pinpoint and describe. The reason I only gave it four stars is that I'm holding out for Illinois, his next album which promises to be fantastic.
I recommend this album, and all other Sufjan works, very highly. Enjoy!
on 10 June 2016
Great
on 22 January 2016
Beautiful and great quality and service.