5.0 out of 5 stars Thankfully, Avril's decided to Let Go a bit
"Let Go" was a great album, no question. In late 2002, on to the scene burst pop music's female equivalent of Dennis The Menace - the fiesty, the fiery, the frighteningly tiny Avril Lavigne. The record was the perfect 21st century pop package - every song fuelled with both alternative attitude and commercial appeal. On "Under My Skin," she does it again, except this...
Published on 23 Aug 2004 by dumpw33d

3.0 out of 5 stars A Slight Sophomore Slump
"Under My Skin" may not be as good as Avril Lavigne's first album overall, but there are some strong pieces here and it is not too big of a drop from her debut. In particular the slower pieces are weak by comparison with her first album, and there isn't as much diversity in sound. This album was released on May 24th, almost exactly two years after her debut, and almost...
Published on 5 Nov 2009 by Dave_42

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Back and better than ever!, 23 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of Avril so for me her new album was much anticipated. Let Go was my favourite record of last year so I wanted something equally as good if not better and I was not disappointed!
Under My Skin's opening song, Take Me Away let me knew that this was going to be a great CD as soon as I heard it. This is followed by Together and Don't Tell Me, her first single from this record which reached number five in the UK charts. The next two songs, He Wasnt and How Does It Feel are not Avril at her best, but what album doesnt have a few duff songs??
My Happy Ending follows this, my favourite song on the album. The lyrics are excellent, as is the guitar playing.
Nobodys Home, Avrils next single is number 7, my second favourite. Its though provoking and Im sure itll do very well as a single.
Sliiped Away is a very sad song, written for her Grandpa who passed away.
This is an amazing album even better than her last one. Her writing and style has matured but its still signature Avril. Recommended to everyone! IF you like rock, pop, hot girls or feminists theres something in this album for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real shock!, 1 Aug 2004
M. Ash (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
I purchased this off the back of the single 'Happy Ending', half expecting it to be one of those CDs that ends up stuck in the draw for the rest of eternity, only ever being pulled out for the one track. How wrong was I?
This is stuck in my CD player - something which is very rare for eclectic me. 'Under My Skin' is a superb album of mainstream rock songs with some really excellent singing from Lavigne. There is a real tonal range to her voice now, and her increased maturity shines through on this album. Alongside 'Absolution' by Muse, this is an example of the rare chart album that includes no filler, and it has already given me immense pleasure.
Others have compared her to Alanis Morrisette, but I think this is far more accomplished than AM's most recent album. Where Morrisette is starting to sound tired, Lavigne sounds fresh and full of attitude.
Well done Avril Lavigne!

5.0 out of 5 stars under my skin, 24 May 2004
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
what can i say!...wow. a great album. more rock vibes from the chick her self. this albums brings you a fresh new sound, compeleting it with her soft voice! the songs are more mature and Avril is too! this is better then her other one! her songs have deepth and i personally think this is going to be a big hit! i would defanetly advise you all to buy it!
hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Album For All!, 9 April 2007
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
I bought this album quite recently and after listening to it a few times, the songs really grew on me.

I'd obviously herd a few of avril's songs prior to buying the albums (mainly all the ones that had been released, the favourites), and had found them quite catchy and thought I might as well buy the album and see what it is like. I felt quite ashamed buying it actually, I think the stereotypical view of this is that it is aimed at teenage girls; I can't enlighten anyone on if it is or not, other than to say that I am extremely surprised at how catchy the songs are. Although I have herd a few songs from her "Let Go" album, i understand that she has been mildly criticised for her quite "basic" lyrics and I can say, in my opinion, she has evolved from that. Fair enough, there not lyrics that make you think and go wow, but they are defiantly an improvement.

I also the selection of songs was excellent, and all fitted well together making it a great all round album. I myself am a big fan of pop punk and i am not quite sure what genre this comes under.... (Pop, Pop Punk, Pop Rock?) but I will say, what ever genre you like, I think you will find this album good.

If you want a taste of this album, I would highly recommend...

Take Me Away

Don't Tell

Nobodies Home

Who Knows

Freak Out*****

If you enjoy one of these songs i would recommend getting it, you shouldn't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, 8 Jun 2004
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
This album is fantastic, I recommend it to everyone
My personal favourite tracks are He Wasn't, How Does it Feel, My Happy Ending and Fall to Pieces.
I'm a huge Avril thing but was dibous when reviews said "she had matured". This album confirms that she definitely has, I cannot praise it enough. As a 17 year old i found it very easy to relate to what she was singing and she captures emotions perfectly in tracks such as Fall to Pieces
Only criticism is I found the opening two tracks slightly weak, not as good as the rest of the album. Apart from that though, it's wonderful. Superb. Brilliant. BUY IT!!! It's money well spent, well done to Lavigne for another great record which even surpasses 'Losing Grip'
To conclude:
A must-have for any girl in her late teens who likes pop rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album, 18 April 2010
R. Nelson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
Usually when writing reviews for albums I rate each song individually and give them a mark out of 10 but for this album every song gets 10/10 and is the only album I would give 10/10 on every song to. The album is full of beautiful songs covering topics such as bieng homeless and alone in nobodys home to virginity in don't tell me and break up's such as my happy ending. The album has a dark feel to it which I love although don't worry it's not depressive and has some more up beat songs like he wasn't and I always get what I want. Avrils voice is pitch perfection and absoloutly beautiful. The best songs are My happy ending, don't tell me and take me away but their all fantastic. The songs are mostly alternative with some pop-rock songs as well. I truely believe it's the best album ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than before, 26 Jun 2004
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
With 'Under my Skin' Avril has proven that she can produce a second album that to many is as good or even better than her massive selling Debut album 'Let Go'.
As Avril has co-wrote every song on this album it is clear to see that this girl has talent, her song writing has developed so much since 'Let Go' and every song will have you turning the volume up loud and singing along to it, (a few of you,may even get your Air Guitars out!!!)
All the songs on this album have an intresting sound to them, they all have powerful chourus's and hooks that compliment the rest of the songs well. Avril has not only grown as a songwriter but her Voice has developed aswell, she sings more powerfully with strong range.
Every song is worth the money
Go buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Avril Lavigne, "Under My Skin", 11 Sep 2004
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
I just wanted to say how much I love this album. From the first track, I was completely hooked and couldn't stop singing along -she has become my favourite singer ever. If you like Avril Lavigne, I hope you'll like this too. It's a little darker and more rock than her first album, and it sounds more real and like what Avril really thinks. I thought all the songs were fantastic, but my favourite was 'Fall To Pieces' - anyone who's ever been in love will relate to that song - and 'I Always Get What I Want.' Also, 'Slipped Away' is a song she dedicated to her dead grandpa and it always makes me cry. Well done, Avril!
Rated by britishfairyprincess :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice second album., 5 Jan 2008
Trixy (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
Moving on from her more daydreamish, light-hearted music, as previously seen in "Let Go", Avril Lavigne makes an album that is far more hard-hitting and mature.

The guitar is, as always, fabulously put together and is really effective. You can also hear some piano parts put in, more than in Let Go. The lyrics have good rhymes, if not a bit obviosu sometimes, and convey the overall feel and message of the music well. The harmonies are not painful and set the songs off nicely.

Some nice songs, with a catchy tone and good lyrics. Another stunner from Lavigne. Definitely one to get if you were a fan of Let Go.

5.0 out of 5 stars perhaps even better than the first, 28 July 2004
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
I was very surprised how much i liked Avril Lavignes first albumn. Most of the songs are very good and a few like "Anything but ordinary" are fantastic.
So when i heard her second albumn was out soon i remember saying "It can't be as good as the first". But now i've listened to it quite a bit, i do think it's better than the first.
Avril Lavigne has a great voice and she writes really great, catchy tunes which you want to sing along to (even if you can't sing a note). I can't wait for then next albumn, but while i wait i've got some great music to listen to....
Very highly recommended

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Under My Skin
Under My Skin by Avril Lavigne (Audio CD - 2004)