Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 June 2016
An excellent performance of this rarely-heard but important work. Soloists and chorus are on fine form. The first part of the oratorio consists largely of orchestral tone-paintings whose chamber-music-like textures are presented here with admirable lucidity. The more dramatic music of the Miracle in the second part and the Stabat Mater Dolorosa of the third come over with stunning intensity, not mere volume.
Though the work contains few of the obvious modernisms of (say) "Via Crucis" or "Ossa Arida", its overall feel is strikingly ahead of its time - especially in the purely instrumental sections, there is a sense that Liszt is composing directly with his raw sound-material in the manner of Debussy or Varese, rather than setting up melodic and harmonic tensions in the classical manner.
on 28 June 2013
When I first heard I was going to be working on this work I did not know that Liszt had written an oratorio. And what an ambitious and extensive oratorio he wrote! This CD is probably the best recording of this piece. The choir is superb! The orchestra and soloists (especially Lipovsek) also do a very good job
on 3 December 2011
This was an excellent record, all the better for being a new work to us and one that is not often heard. We heard it on the radio and decided we needed to have a copy of our own.
on 16 April 2015
I love the misic but could do without the applause at the end.
on 26 January 2015