Format: DVD|Change

on 23 May 2000
This is the first of the Police Academy series and still to this day the best. When i watch this movie i still laugh, but with the others i could just bare a simple smile. With Mahoney, Jones getting up to misheive you cant help to look away. I will always remember this film for the Blue Oyster Bar, which was the brunt of jokes i made going threw my teenage years. This is a classic typical good, up beat feeling film. A must see for all kind of generations.
on 25 June 2015
I've always loved this movie from day one back in the eighties! But to relive it on Bluray actually gave me a newfound appreciation for it!

The picture and sound quality is a major improvement over the DVD. Colors are brighter, sound is more alive. Of course there's a fair amount of unsurprising grain here and there you could hardly mind given how old the movie is, but the overall experience made it feel like I was seeing it for the first time, even though I pretty much know it all by heart.

This is an all-around feel-good supercool comedy that scores on many levels. The script is comic brilliance, music a huge delight, characters all enjoyable, thanks to excellent casting and acting, all handled by sure-fire direction that knows how to make the jokes hit home.

It's the kind of comedy you can enjoy by yourself or with friends and especially with a crowd, the bigger the better. And unlike the many sequels it spawned that aren't even half as good, this one is guaranteed not to let anyone down, even those who've already seen it. That's a promise.
on 3 December 2011
Hilarious comedy, proper laugh out loud funny, Police Academy (1984) is one of those rare comedic films with quite an intellectual message.

It's about a failing police institution (the Police Academy) opening itself up to new people and the benefits which can be gained in community policing. However it's not as simple as that!

Steve Guttenberg and co are all excellent actors and deliver a seriously funny bunch of characters in this film. Hugh Wilson has delivered a work which fizzles a little towards the end and loses narrative force but nevertheless is still top class tight comedy with brilliant sketches from one scene to another and it is a classic.

Fantastic for lightening the mood!
on 1 March 2015
I watched this film years ago and have fond memories of it. Watching it again I still found it enjoyable and funny. However, my friend who has never seen it before, despite recognising & liking some of the humour, found it cliched and tired. It's true that some of the jokes are old, but I STILL enjoyed it. Don't know how much of that is nostalgia.

I will say, however, that he did find the actor interviews in this edition interesting, and I loved it! Would have been nice to also have Kim Catrall on it, but possibly she charges to much?? Don't know.
on 28 December 2013
This is my favourite of all the Police Academy films, by far the best one of the series. Loved it !!
on 5 February 2014
never seen this till recently & i loved it funny & full of laughs one of the best 80s movies
on 18 June 2016
I love this classic 80's film their always the best! I ordered this film for my dad's father's day present and even though I only ordered it a couple of days ago it was received today being Saturday morning! I'm absolutely delighted! fantastic service guys! I'll definitely be buying from you again. A* service Downton-Direct!
on 4 March 2016
Saw this as a kid and remember loving it. Saw it as an adult... it has not aged well. The casual homophobia and racism that flew over my head as an eighties teenager (I didn't remember any of it) now make for painful viewing. 3 stars due to historical interest only.
on 23 May 2016
It still is one of the best Police Comedy's you could ever watch. I was 11 when I watched it first and I still laughed as much 32 years later. I have introduced my 2 children aged 10 and 8 and they are hooked. Great performances all round.
on 3 September 2006
I decided to get this as I remember it as being my favourite of the Police Academy films. I have not seen it for a very long time, it is still funny in places but maybe not quite how I remembered it. Most of the humour is visual and slapstick along with a lot of sexual innuendo. Forgot this was a 15 and has some nudity in it as well. This is probably the most liked as it was the first and most original. The 3rd seems to be the most shown closly followed by the 5th set on Miami beach. The type of film you love or hate. The special feature is a 30 minute chat with all the main cast interviewed in 2004....apart from Kim Catteral?? Talking about their screen tests and favourite scenes and the hype, fame the movie brought to them....even 20 years later! 6/10