5.0 out of 5 stars Great Viewing For Children of All Ages

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 10 Aug 2011 by Intrepid Explorer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Viewing For Children of All Ages, 12 Oct 2003
Mr. William S. Robertson "Billyboy6635" (Doune, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This was actually bought for my ten year old daughter, but is proving to be an even bigger hit with my three year old son and has, thankfully, taken the place of the Wiggles in his affections. It is, simply, a wonderful series of tales containing memorable and amusing characters, such as Moonface and Saucepan Man. With each tale telling of their adventures in a different magical land that they find at the top of the Far Away Tree. Not ideal for Pokemon fans, this is more traditional storytelling and I am sure that most adults will remember the stories from their childhoods. Made by Cosgrove Hall and scripted by Jimmy Hibbert - the team behind the modern TV adaptation of that other Enid Blyton classic, Noddy - it has all the high production standards that you have come to expect from that production studio. All in all, take strong storytelling, add to that first rate animation and throw in perfect charcter voicing and the result is top notch entertainment for children.

4.0 out of 5 stars A hark back to my childhood, 26 Dec 2004
Kathryn Tate "Britsh reader overseas" (McKinney, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Of The Faraway Tree [DVD] (DVD)
I loved all of Enid Blyton's books as a child.
Now as a mother myself I have loved them again as I have reread them to my children.
I now live in the USA and Enid Blyton is unheard of so family send me some and Amazon fills in the blanks.
This Christmas my Mum brought this DVD and the Wishing Chair one too. We have to have a multi region player to watch these but the chance to relive my childhood makes it worth while. In the days of Rugrats, The Simpsons et al it is refreshing to see real stories that still engage children with the magic that is lacking in real life.
Some aspects of the stories are a little different from the book but only to adults who remember them!LOL So in review I would recommend this DVD to anyone with children under 8, my 7 1/2 year old son still enjoyed this as he can read the books on his own now and the DVD brought the characters in his imagination to life.
So for good old fashioned stories which you can safely let children watch alone you can't go far wrong with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Of The Faraway Tree, 3 July 2008
This review is from: The Magic Of The Faraway Tree [DVD] (DVD)
Great DVD ! The kids loved it. Changed quite a bit to fit in with the modern PC society ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stories and nicely presented., 12 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Magic Of The Faraway Tree [DVD] (DVD)
Captures the essence of the books very well and captivates my 5yo son. The stories chosen are some of the best from the Faraway Tree books stripped down a bit. The animation is pretty good (not sure when the series was made) and each episode lasts about 10-15 mins so great to dip in and out of.
Nothing to worry a parent about as they're good, clean fun with a little scariness thrown in.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my childhood!, 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Magic Of The Faraway Tree [DVD] (DVD)
When I was 5 years old I had The Faraway Tree on video and I watched it every single night until one day the video died from exhaustion and it couldn't be watched any longer!
I'm now 17 years old and my mum bought this dvd for me the other week. I STILL LOVE IT. It's exactly like I remember it was! None of this Digitally Restored rubbish! This is the same tree, the same characters, the same colours, the same sounds! This is the Classic!
Please, Please, Please... Buy this for your children! It's only £3 something and it will take them on a wonderful adventure! I can assure you they will love the amazing Moonface and Saucepan man and they too will want to take an adventure up the Faraway Tree every night just like I did.
It makes me sad that none of my friends watched this as a child,, I think it should be a classic to everyones childhood!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Magic Of The Faraway Tree [DVD] (DVD)
This is absolutely enchanting. The film is old style but my 5 year old daughter is transfixed with the magic of the stories. The play on the imagination inspires her in her own play and storytelling. She can watch them over and over, each time absorbing the storyline better and her enjoyment doesn't wane. Beautifully imaginative and absolutely enchanting. Add to that it's got 7 stories on it, each with the same main characters but very different adventures. I highly recommend this DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars my son loved it., 16 Mar 2012
Miss Fulford - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Of The Faraway Tree [DVD] (DVD)
I was really excited about this as the faraway tree is my favourite childhood book. I found the whole thing a little disappointing, voices were a bit weird. But my son absolutely loves it and we watch it every night! so as long as your buying for your child and not yourself, it is a good, reasonably priced item to buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Magic Of The Faraway Tree [DVD] (DVD)
I suppose that having read all the Faraway books as a child and then reading them to my own daughters, seeing a dvd interpretaion bought for my grandson was never really going to meet expectations. It has been brought up to date from the Enid Blyton original '50s stories which todays children will probably like and can relate to. All the characters are there and the stories are basically the same. Children will love the Toffee Shocks and the Slippery Slip! However, I think I've carried my own interpretation of the characters in my head for too long to be impressed by someone elses. I was disappointed but I think my grandson will enjoy it for what it is. We can read the books together when he's older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely enchanting, 9 Aug 2010
A. Lucas "bookworm" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Magic Of The Faraway Tree [DVD] (DVD)
My daughters had this on VHS video when they were small (they are now 17 and 14), having read the books. I have now read the books to my little boy (who is 4) and he wanted to see the stories come to life, so I bought the dvds. He likes them, but prefers the books being read to him! (I think that's just a boy thing...... it seems that little boys are one minute enjoying Noddy and Thomas the Tank Engine and then suddenly there's nothing on offer for them apart from violent things like Ben 10 and Transformers!).

I must say that I much prefer the 'old' versions of the Enid Blyton stories, where the characters haven't been ruined by political correctness.

5.0 out of 5 stars 68yr old child, 25 May 2010
This review is from: The Magic Of The Faraway Tree [DVD] (DVD)
have had this for years on video-tape and was happy to find it on dvd. mygrandson watches this with me,a very enjoyable experience. you do not have to be a child to enjoy it. I have the book which i have read many times and never get bored with it. Give it a go you older children.

The Magic Of The Faraway Tree [DVD]
The Magic Of The Faraway Tree [DVD] by Enid Blyton (DVD - 2004)
Used & New from: £5.75