5.0 out of 5 stars I saw this live. Magnificent. A gem of a musical you owe it to yourself to see
I had the privilege of seeing this performance live. I was initially dubious about travelling 100 miles to London just to see another revival of 'some old musical'.

How wrong I was. From start to finish it was magnificent. A completely fresh interpretation of a classic. Apparently in the initial rehearsals Trevor Nunn had the cast read the songs rather than...
Published on 2 Nov 2006 by Robert Levick

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent musical, shame about the audience!
Published on 3 Jun 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 24 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Oklahoma! (1999) [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Oklahoma! is a wonderful musical with a great plot and exceptional music, including several show-stoppers. Having seen this version on TV, I immediately bought the video in order to enjoy it over and over again. It is outstanding! The cast is amazing - the actors are extremely well chosen, and all of them combine excellent acting with equally good singing and dancing. My respect to all the actors, especially Hugh Jackman, Maureen Lipman and Josefina Gabrielle. And, of course, to Trevor Nunn and Susan Stroman, for getting the best out of their crew.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent musical, shame about the audience!, 3 Jun 2004
By A Customer
I love this musical, and this production is great-really good performances by all. Unfortunately someone had the stupid idea to put a fake audience in after every scene! (we see in the 'making of' that it was filmed without a audience) It really spoils the whole effect! You really get into the musical, then you get interrupted by some shots of people clapping, which breaks up the whole thing. It really ruins it, what a shame, I would have loved to see this without the audience on film, (live would obviously have been even better!) Hugh Jackson and Maureen Lipmann are particularly brilliant, actually everyone was!

2.0 out of 5 stars Oklahoma DVD with Hugh Jackson, 25 Sep 2012
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
I was delighted when I found out I could buy this film for my sister as a present because we used to have the film on video. It arrived in plenty of time and the quality of the film is really good. The only problem is that one of my favourite scenes is completely missed out. The song 'All Er Nothing' has an interlude in it and this was cut out. I was really disappointed about this because I think what happens in this piece of music is important to the story line of the two characters involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable!, 3 July 2001
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
This Oklahoma! ws better than anything else that I have seen before! ALL of the cast, especially Schuler Hensley as Jud, give outstanding and strong performances. The dialogue and songs all have a natural feel and the sets, costumes and dances, all wonderful. The company's interpretation of R&H's original ballet is delightfully new and colourful with all of the dancers and sections blending flawlessly. I cannot give this production the right amount of credit that it deserves! Long live Trevor Nunn's delightful 1999 OKLAHOMA!

4.0 out of 5 stars a long , long time ago , Wolverine was a theatre singer/dancer ...., 24 Feb 2009
Ana Montez "pitonisa" (Lisbon , Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
For me the 81st oscars ceremony wasn't a surprise , concearnig Hugh Jackman " hidden " skills . A long time before Wolverine or even before Leopold , I had seen on TV this theatrical version of the famous movie Oklahoma. I have enjoied it a lot . The entire cast is marvellous ! The music is splendid. The art direction could be a little better , even in a such dynamic musical. It's a must to watch ,a good example , specially for Portuguese theatrical directors that are nowdays trying to adapt these famous musicals to portuguese versions.
When I watched this musical, I thought that Hugh was an american actor , but after Kate & Leopold I've changed my mind , I started thinking that he was a british hunk . That image continues with Scoop from Woody Allen , and finally after watching Australia I got the true . He is Aussie! It gives you a complete vision of his versatility has an actor.
And are very few actors that could be so versatile as he is ( acting/singing/dancing/TV/theatre/Movies/Drama/comedy/thriller/Comics) .

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, 5 Aug 2004
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
I've always been a fan of musicals ever since i watched howard keel in seven brides for seven brothers. this is one of the most amazing up to date musicals ever. the cast are outstanding, hugh jackman blew me away with his performance. who knew he had such a great vocal range? he was born to play musicals on stage and he really does shine here.
if you love musicals you have to get this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply OUTSTANDING, 5 May 2008
J. Fox "Jubilee" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
If you are a Hugh Jackman fan, then you will love this stage film version of an all time classic musical. The casting is superb, from an excellent Hugh Jackman as Curly to Maureen Lipman as Aunt Ella, and an amazing supporting cast. EVERY member of the cast shines and looks like they're enjoying every second of the performance! My 81 year old father watched it in awe and said it was the best musical he had ever seen! Hugh Jackmans vocals simply blew me away. Everyone probably knows him as Wolverine in the X-Men movies, so to find him in this type of role made his singing talents an unexpected surprise!! For any musical fan or Hugh Jackman fan, this film is a definite must!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugh Jackman Is Superb, 17 Aug 2001
This review is from: Oklahoma! (1999) [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Wallow in nostalgia with this superb production of the musical classic. Though it's based on a London stage show, the film was shot separately, using the stage show actors and props. The singing is great, the dancing is great, the new orchestrations are brilliant. Most of all though, High Jackman is a magnet to the eye. He delivers his songs with such gusto that your hairs will stand on end. There's a good documentary too about the making of the film which fills in the background to the musical and what stage director Trevor Nunn was trying to achieve. And at this Amazon price the DVD is an absolute steal because you'll keep going back to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly brilliant, 11 Feb 2004
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
I had never really liked Oklahoma, sure it has some good songs in it, but it was slightly corny. This production has changed my whole point of view around. The acting and singing is brilliant, the directing is amazing (which is what you would expect from Trevor Nunn). Because this was a theatre performance not every shot was good but it was never meant to be a film version. All in all it was a refreshing version of the musical. BUY IT NOW YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 July 2007
R. Bartram "rachel132" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
As a avid musical theatre fan I was wary of watching this, knowing how often when stage musicals are filmed the results can be terrible. However this was absoultely amazing - the acting, singing and dancing were outstanding!
I've read comments complaining about the fake audience but you only see them at the beginning/end and 'interval' which hardly disturbs the show.
If you're at all interested you should get this!

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Oklahoma! [DVD]
Oklahoma! [DVD] by Hugh Jackman (DVD - 2004)
Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 weeks