Format: DVDChange

on 25 September 2012
I was delighted when I found out I could buy this film for my sister as a present because we used to have the film on video. It arrived in plenty of time and the quality of the film is really good. The only problem is that one of my favourite scenes is completely missed out. The song 'All Er Nothing' has an interlude in it and this was cut out. I was really disappointed about this because I think what happens in this piece of music is important to the story line of the two characters involved.
on 24 February 2009
For me the 81st oscars ceremony wasn't a surprise , concearnig Hugh Jackman " hidden " skills . A long time before Wolverine or even before Leopold , I had seen on TV this theatrical version of the famous movie Oklahoma. I have enjoied it a lot . The entire cast is marvellous ! The music is splendid. The art direction could be a little better , even in a such dynamic musical. It's a must to watch ,a good example , specially for Portuguese theatrical directors that are nowdays trying to adapt these famous musicals to portuguese versions.
When I watched this musical, I thought that Hugh was an american actor , but after Kate & Leopold I've changed my mind , I started thinking that he was a british hunk . That image continues with Scoop from Woody Allen , and finally after watching Australia I got the true . He is Aussie! It gives you a complete vision of his versatility has an actor.
And are very few actors that could be so versatile as he is ( acting/singing/dancing/TV/theatre/Movies/Drama/comedy/thriller/Comics) .
on 5 August 2004
I've always been a fan of musicals ever since i watched howard keel in seven brides for seven brothers. this is one of the most amazing up to date musicals ever. the cast are outstanding, hugh jackman blew me away with his performance. who knew he had such a great vocal range? he was born to play musicals on stage and he really does shine here.
if you love musicals you have to get this!
on 5 May 2008
If you are a Hugh Jackman fan, then you will love this stage film version of an all time classic musical. The casting is superb, from an excellent Hugh Jackman as Curly to Maureen Lipman as Aunt Ella, and an amazing supporting cast. EVERY member of the cast shines and looks like they're enjoying every second of the performance! My 81 year old father watched it in awe and said it was the best musical he had ever seen! Hugh Jackmans vocals simply blew me away. Everyone probably knows him as Wolverine in the X-Men movies, so to find him in this type of role made his singing talents an unexpected surprise!! For any musical fan or Hugh Jackman fan, this film is a definite must!!!!!
on 17 August 2001
Wallow in nostalgia with this superb production of the musical classic. Though it's based on a London stage show, the film was shot separately, using the stage show actors and props. The singing is great, the dancing is great, the new orchestrations are brilliant. Most of all though, High Jackman is a magnet to the eye. He delivers his songs with such gusto that your hairs will stand on end. There's a good documentary too about the making of the film which fills in the background to the musical and what stage director Trevor Nunn was trying to achieve. And at this Amazon price the DVD is an absolute steal because you'll keep going back to it.
on 11 February 2004
I had never really liked Oklahoma, sure it has some good songs in it, but it was slightly corny. This production has changed my whole point of view around. The acting and singing is brilliant, the directing is amazing (which is what you would expect from Trevor Nunn). Because this was a theatre performance not every shot was good but it was never meant to be a film version. All in all it was a refreshing version of the musical. BUY IT NOW YOU WON'T REGRET IT.
on 8 July 2007
As a avid musical theatre fan I was wary of watching this, knowing how often when stage musicals are filmed the results can be terrible. However this was absoultely amazing - the acting, singing and dancing were outstanding!
I've read comments complaining about the fake audience but you only see them at the beginning/end and 'interval' which hardly disturbs the show.
If you're at all interested you should get this!
on 6 May 2009
If you are fan of the Musical (as I am) you cannot miss this one.
A good story and a good interpretation in every way possible (dancing, singing, etc.)
Also, Hugh Jackman is a great surprise because we are used to see him in action roles, but in fact (and in my opinion) he is even better in the musical roles.
on 1 January 2001
Saw the show on Channel four and went straight out and bought it on DVD so that I can enjoy it over again. The show was awesome, full of energy, fun and also tension in the dramatic sequences. Hugh Jackman is stunning as Curly (can't believe it's the same actor as Wolverine in XMen) and the rest of the cast give a seemingly effortless performance. I havn't got the songs out of my head yet. The "Making of" on the DVD is great but I would have liked to see some other extras too! Worth every penny and highly recommended!
on 30 April 2013
This is the first production I have seen of Oklahoma and what a performance to start with! Perhaps no other will ever live up to this one! For someone who is more familiar with the more modern musicals, Oklahoma takes you on a wonderful journey back to the romantic past, and you will be singing 'Oh what a beautiful morning' at every given opportunity! Just Lovely! Oh, I almost forgot to mention: Girls, brace yourself for Hugh Jackman as Curly! I don't think I could be more in love with this beautiful man!