I had the privilege of seeing this performance live. I was initially dubious about travelling 100 miles to London just to see another revival of 'some old musical'.

Published on 2 Nov 2006 by Robert Levick

2.0 out of 5 stars Oklahoma DVD with Hugh Jackson
I was delighted when I found out I could buy this film for my sister as a present because we used to have the film on video. It arrived in plenty of time and the quality of the film is really good. The only problem is that one of my favourite scenes is completely missed out. The song 'All Er Nothing' has an interlude in it and this was cut out. I was really disappointed...
Published 24 months ago by NellyPops

5.0 out of 5 stars I saw this live. Magnificent. A gem of a musical you owe it to yourself to see, 2 Nov 2006
Robert Levick (Burbage, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)

How wrong I was. From start to finish it was magnificent. A completely fresh interpretation of a classic. Apparently in the initial rehearsals Trevor Nunn had the cast read the songs rather than sing them. To ensure they understood the relevance of every line to the plot. The result shows in the way each song is truly brought to life.

At the end of the live performance I was so overwhelmed by one of my best ever evenings in the theatre (and I go regularly to all sorts of theatre events) I told my wife I'd love to see it again.

So two weeks later I was back! And the second time was just as good as the first.

If you love musicals you simply must see this. Hugh Jackman has since gone on the bigger and more profitable things. But I doubt he's ever done anything better than this.

As another reviewer observed, I defy you to not be singing these songs at work the next day.

This is one of those DVD's you can reach for when times are tough, or your mood is low. Within minutes of putting it on it truly will be 'a beautiful morning'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oooooooooklahoma!, 1 Oct 2005
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
Oh I love this film. I bought it on the basis of Hugh Jackman singing 'O What A Beautiful Morning' on a Hey Mr Producer video. My life that man can sing. Found it for 20p on Amazon so what was to be lost? And I LOVED it. Hughs accent when he first came on scared me but you get used to it, it even becomes endearing. It has such gorgeous music, a serious sing along. I can't hold back when the title track starts up. 'Surrey With A fringe on Top' is vying for most romantic song EVER with 'i've grown accustomed to her face' from My Fair Lady. He made it all up for her people, how cute is that? And the ballet sequence in the middle is beautiful (I love the bit where the cowboys come in, the music makes me giggle like a schoogirl!)and its overall a powerful musical. Buy this for a rainy day, its got amazing voices and talent. And come on, Hugh Jackman in a cowboy outfit? Worth it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Oklahoma - National Theatre Production, 22 Jan 2006
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
A fantastic version of the classic Rogers and Hammerstein show. You can't beat Hugh Jackman as Curly and Maureen Lipman as Aunt Ella. Brilliant songs, dances and casting. The ballet is also great with Hugh and Josefina dancing the parts instead of the usual substitute dances. If you love musicals you'll love this. It reatins some of the feel of going to the theatre to see it for real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking!, 1 Oct 2006
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of the best musical interpretations I have ever seen. The cast is outstanding - there is a brilliant on-stage chemistry between the actors and the subsequent performances of their characters that makes this a pleasure to watch. The songs are sung with immense heart and feeling (try not to wander around the next day and NOT humm 'oh, what a beautiful morning!) and I personally feel Trevor Nunn should be made into the Patron Saint of the Theatre for getting Hugh Jackman to play Curly. Wonderful. I'm off to watch it again.......

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent production deserves a better DVD, 18 Aug 2002
Deirdre Straughan (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
I wish I'd seen this on stage, but since I missed it, the DVD will have to do. The show is excellent, a joy to watch again and again, and the cast is wonderful (Hugh Jackman fans especially will not be disappointed!).
But the production values of the DVD are a disappointment. Odd camera angles cause people's heads to be cut off from time to time, and the sound is extremely and distractingly uneven. It would also be helpful to have subtitles to help pick up on a few hard-to-catch lyrics.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent adaptation of a Broadway classic, 10 Aug 2007
C. O. DeRiemer (San Antonio, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
This is a filming of the Trevor Nunn version of the musical that first opened in London and then came over to Broadway. For many who may recall Oklahoma! only through the movie with Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones, this should be a welcome new look. This version is energetic with the cowboys looking scruffy and with the characters much more clearly defined. Curly and Laurie are played by actors who do their own dancing as well as singing. Curly is played by Hugh Jackman as a strutting, confident young man. Jackman brings a lot of skill to the part as actor, singer and dancer. More importantly, he brings a lot of charisma and likeability. Josefina Gabrielle plays Laurie as a tomboy, but shy and thoughtful...and probably smarter than Curly. And Shuler Hensley as Jud Fry dominates his scenes. His Jud is surly and mean, but also torn by loneliness, a guy who is almost inarticulate with resentment. His "Lonely Room" becomes a powerful song. Jimmy Johnston plays Will Parker with great energy and, as with Jackman, great likeability.

Oklahoma! stands the test of time for a couple of reasons, I think. The story line is extremely simple, but it's the simplicity that makes the characters so attractive. Except for Jud Fry, there's no angst or psychological spinning. The toughest question is, will Curly get to take Laurie to the dance? The second reason is Rodgers and Hammerstein's terrific score. If there's a weak song in the show I didn't notice it. I particularly like "The Surrey With the Fringe on Top" and "Out of my Dreams." Surrey is a gem of a wooing song...sweet, a little funny but then very touching. The music is memorable yet easy to recall, and Hammerstein's lyric, in my view, is a classic example of the use of concrete imagery to evoke feelings. "Out of My Dreams," to me, is simply one of the best waltzes written, and one that captures perfectly Laurie's longings.

This is a filmed recording of the stage show, but through careful editing never seems especially static. There's an extra about how the show was put together which is interesting. The DVD picture is first class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You, Mr. Nunn, 4 Aug 2003
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
This is an Oklahoma for the ages, a complete version (with songs normally deleted restored) featuring a brilliant cast and outstanding direction.
Hugh Jackman was a particular revelation and absolutely perfect in the role of Curly. One almost regrets his film success -- he was born for the musical stage.
This is more than just a filmed stage performance. It is in fact a film using the cast and sets of the stage version. Because of the multiple cameras and their flexible placement, the viewer is treated to unique viewing angles and intimate close-ups.
If only more of the great musicals could be memorialized in this fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars oklahomatastic!, 23 July 2001
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great new production of a musical. It is far better than any other production I have seen including the 1955 movie with was a bit corny. The RNT has once again focused on the grittier side of a true classic and has made it seem as fresh as anything produced in the musical theatre today. The actors are all marvelous and have fantastic voices. I wish more classics would be produced for film. Is Carousel next? (hint hint)

5.0 out of 5 stars A talented man, 16 Sep 2006
Angela Lovelace "Angela" (Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
Hugh Jackman, is wonderful as curly. It was a real revelation to see him sing and dance so well. Is there anything this man can't do? LOL. Maureen Lipman is a well seasoned actress who also plays her part well.

Well worth the bargain price and musical fans everywhere will, I am sure love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 24 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Oklahoma! (1999) [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Oklahoma! is a wonderful musical with a great plot and exceptional music, including several show-stoppers. Having seen this version on TV, I immediately bought the video in order to enjoy it over and over again. It is outstanding! The cast is amazing - the actors are extremely well chosen, and all of them combine excellent acting with equally good singing and dancing. My respect to all the actors, especially Hugh Jackman, Maureen Lipman and Josefina Gabrielle. And, of course, to Trevor Nunn and Susan Stroman, for getting the best out of their crew.

Oklahoma! [DVD]
Oklahoma! [DVD] by Hugh Jackman (DVD - 2004)