5.0 out of 5 stars The Surprise Album of 2004
I had heard of Loretta Lynn but I had not heard anything by her until I listened to this CD quite by chance in a record store in Times Square NYC. Ohh and for the record I had not heard any of White Stripes work either. To say that "Van Lear Rose" has taken me by surprise is an understatement. Right from the opening title track to the closing strains of the final track I...
Published on 10 Jun 2004 by Dexter

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
This is probably a 5 star rating if you are an all time Lynn fan.
However, in my case, I am more into the White Stripes, which means this is not really my cup of tea. It is not bad (at all), but it is just not my taste.
Published 17 months ago by DCI

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow Loretta !, 10 Sep 2013
M. Sellick (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Van Lear Rose (Audio CD)
I was very impressed with it album, very much a today sound. I was surprised. Give it a listen you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Van Lear Rose (Audio CD)
This is probably a 5 star rating if you are an all time Lynn fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two words....Jack White, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Van Lear Rose (Audio CD)
Bought this on download not long after its release and it has become a favourite album so much that I wanted a cd copy of it as well. As for MovieMars, the service is excellent from ordering to receiving all within a week. I have used them before through the marketplace and will so again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Van Lear Rose (Audio CD)
Definitely one for the collection. From the title track onwards, an excellent collection. Even my 8 year old daughter loves this (although she does love the white stripes and picked up on the jack white connection. Give it a go and you wont be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Van Lear Rose (Audio CD)
This is one of the most complete albums I've ever heard. Obviously, there are some great country songs, my personal favorite are "Family Tree" and "High On A Mountain", but Loretta doesn't just sing country. Tracks like "Have Mercy" and "Mrs. Leroy Brown" have, quite frankly, a really true awesome sound of rock. The fact that Jack White produced this album helped in that, i believe.
The duet between her and Jack is just outstanding.
The lyrics are amazing and we wouldn't expect less from this wonderful woman. It really seems to touch her heart and the other musicians that recorded with her.
One of the things that i admire in Jack is that he works with people that contributed to music so much. And it always sound great. Besides Loretta, he worked with Wanda Jackson, Tom Jones, Beck, Seasick Steve, among others.
I confess that i started listening to this record as a Jack White fan, but i can guarantee you that i left a Loretta Lynn fan as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Van Lear Rose, 10 May 2004
Gareth Gorman (London, E17, 7HD United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
LORETTA LYNN
Van Lear Rose
Interscope/Universal
Not in my wildest dreams, did I ever consider I’d be reviewing a Loretta Lynn album. Even more bizarre is the fact that I’m thoroughly recommending it. Here, Lynn manages to turn round that tired and worn out C&W genre into something that’s like a glistening jewel in the eye.
This is down in no small way to Jack White of The White Stripes presenting Lynn with a rough and ready, grunty and gristly production palette to metaphorically stride around in. The mix of her triumphant voice out front of the grizzled guitar sounds are totally arresting.
That you’ve got a bunch of songs that bring us tales of sloe gin fizz, communication breakdown, yer general alcoholism, survival of worn down women, Bad Girls in county prisons, some unjust poverty and pink limousines makes it even more riveting. Every darned C&W clichés gets trotted out, turned on it’s head and subverted like a bushpig in a hoedown rodeo and is all the more wondrous for it.
It’s like Post Modernism finally breaks into the inbred country and western ancestry line and it’s mighty fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 July 2014
Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars America in 40 minutes!, 16 May 2004
This review is from: Van Lear Rose (Audio CD)
Oh my, where do I start?
Jack White! I love you!
Well,THIS IS IT, folks!The album people will be listening to in 10,20,30,50 years, it's just that good!
Do yourself a favour and buy it!
This is the best country ALBUM ever, seriously, I can't praise it enough. One of those rare ocassions where I think GOD IS AT PLAY! Godlike,godlike, godlike!

Van Lear Rose
Van Lear Rose by Loretta Lynn (Audio CD - 2004)