5.0 out of 5 stars Best for a while
Published on 19 Jan 2005 by T. W. Spielhofer

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy any other Modest Mouse albums before you buy this one!
I have been a big Modest Mouse fan for several years now. However, after listening to this, there latest album I have been left hugely disappointed. This is far inferior to there pevious albums, and I suggest to anyone considering buying this to buy one of there other albums first. 'The Lonesome Crowded West', 'This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think...
Published on 12 Oct 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for a while, 19 Jan 2005
T. W. Spielhofer "ukman98" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love this album - it's revived my love of music and has inspired me to buy other CDs of the same genre. I came across this band completely by accident. I was in Melbourne for a conference and sitting in a cool bar, when this CD was put on - and I loved it immediately. What I like about it is the variety of songs on it - you can see all kinds of different influences, ranging from Tom Waits, The Cure, Red Hot Chilly Peppers, The Clash, etc. with some amazing lyrics. It's made me want more, more and more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good News for People Who Love Good Music!, 8 Jun 2006
Modest Mouse are a David Lynch movie of a band. Bristling with a charming weirdness, and sparkling like a pair of... ruby slippers.

Good News for People Who Love Bad News, is more accessible and lifting listening experience than The Moon & Antarctica. Like The Flaming lips, they have a knack for making statements about life, death, mortality and spirituality, in a celebratory tone. "Bury Me With It," "Devil's Work Day" and "Satin in a Coffin" are eerily creepy, yet wonderfully erratic (Brock's vocals somewhere between Tom Waits and the Tazmanian Devil).

Good News for People Who Love Bad News continually delivers, while demonstrating the contrast of harsh and beautiful things about music, and life. In fact, not only are Modest Mouse fascinating, but they occupy a space all of their own somewhere between The Black Heart Procession and The Flaming Lips.

A splendid record.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to watch the ocean to, 12 May 2005
Amazing. This album is just beautiful. It was the first album i bought by Modest Mouse, and it became the start of my collection. I heard 'Float On' orginally, and i was just blown away. It's unlike any other music i have heard, and it has the ability to move you emotionally. You can feel the emotion and feeling dripping off every song.
It's refreshing to hear a range of different instruents being used in accompaniment to traditional rock instruments, such as violin and the horn. There's a strong theme of the ocean in this album, not just because of the lyrics, the sounds take you away from where you are, and you feel you could be by the ocean.
When i first bought the album, i found some of the songs very strange, such as ' Bury me with it', 'Dance Hall' and 'This Devils Workday', but they soon grow on you as you appreciate their original sound. I find it amazing that they are relatively unheard of over here, but i think they are an acquired taste, especially as the singers voice is very country sounding. Overall they are an amzing band, and this album is great to buy for your first Modest Mouse album; you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars laugh hard its a long way to the bank, 28 May 2004
Having been a Modest Mouse fan for a very long time now, I can safely say that this is like nothing they have ever done before. They're back and still fantastic. Although this album isnt as good as 'This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About' or 'Lonesome Crowded West' its not half bad. There are a couple of catchy tunes such as 'Float On' and 'Ocean Breathes Salty' however if you have just been drawn into buying this album because of 'Float On' think again. The album shows many new styles, some of which sound like Tom Waits (not that thats a bad thing). As well as this there is much classic Modest Mouse incorporated into this album. It also features great vocals from singer Isaac Brock. This album would be great for a long time fan, but perhaps not so great for one who has been sucked in through the song 'Float On'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good....yeah, different but I like it, 28 July 2009
O. I. Masters "Olivarius" (Behind a grassy knoll) - See all my reviews
Been a MM fan for a while now (funny how many reviews open with similar) so this was a little different than I expected...there are definitely some more polished moments on this record than on previous...sounds like a positive and in some cases it is (if you've heard other MM records you'll probably have the same dual feelings as me) and the introduction of new sounds and instruments is, I think, a forward step as it provides them a broader range of sounds to take away and do something wierd with.

In a lot of listeners reviews I've read I've seen a lot of negative stuff about direction changes or depth of lyrics (particularly American reviews). I can see what they're talking about but I totally disagree...I think there is enough classic MM on this record to please 90% of fans but there are also lots of new little experiments and surprises that should delight and hopefully engage new fans as Float On has done...my sister who normally listens to pop with deluxe production and a million dollar budget behind it loved The World At Large and The Good Times are Killing Me as well as the obviously catchy Float On.

This is different from The Lonesome Crowded West and This is a Long Drive... and all the other MM classics as everyone has already said but it's definitely not a bad thing...I find if I'm paired down to putting one MM track on a playlist or CD for someone my choice regularly comes down to something from this and one of the classix...I think Dramamine probably wins out more often than not but to even get tracks considered in such a dilemma there has got to be some real quality in the songs here.

Last couple of things...if you've heard Float On and are tempted to buy this record, brilliant...do it...BUT maybe think about checking out a couple more tracks first - if you like them then definitely buy this and then go and buy the whole back catalogue...you won't be disappointed.

Die hard MM fans complaining about this...go away and listen to "Know it All" by Lagwagon...you'll hate it, it's "punk music", but the message is clear and remeber as Cody ChesnuTT said "It ain't rock, it ain't roll if we don't disagree".

5.0 out of 5 stars Modest Mouse. good news for people who love bad news, 14 Mar 2005
This is a brilliant album. I can understand why I can't find anybody that's even heard of them here in the UK because I hadn't until I chanced upon them, but that was a fantastic piece of pure luck. I've just ordered their entire back catalogue after getting in to this album. I'd list my favourite tracks but I really think every song is total quality. Float On and The World At Large are more immediately loveable but it's the consistently brilliant lyrics that prevail throughout that make this a bit of a classic to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suits me, 26 Dec 2013
Leigh Bristow (England) - See all my reviews
Mellon collie and poignant, soft and rocking, harsh and soothing. Isaac Brock has a crazy voice, which lends itself so very well to emotive singing. If you don't own a Modest Mouse album, buy this as a taster. I did and subsequently went and brought another 2 albums, both of which i also love. <3 Modest Mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, 9 Nov 2013
commodityfetish (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
This was the first time I'd heard Modest Mouse. I love the Smiths, but didn't keep up with Marr's other projects (clearly). I've now ordered all MM's other albums, as this is first rate music. Great lyrics which couldn't compliment the music much better, and the listenability of these tracks is outstanding. Buy, play loud and play proud. Fantastic stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Obssessed over this, 16 Sep 2011
Jack (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
Good news for people who love bad news is a great blend of the angry, sentimental and mental that Modest Mouse are so good at

4.0 out of 5 stars Good News for People Who Love Bad News, 30 Jan 2007
Modest Mouse don't seem to attract the same admiration on this side of the Atlantic as they do in the indie press in the States, where they are mentioned in the same breath as the Flaming Lips and Arcade Fire. It seems they enjoy something of a cult status and a reputation for drug problems and general instability though I suspect that this has been ratcheted up for the purposes of publicity. I bought this album on the strength of a few tracks I heard online and can only evaluate this album on its individual merits, not in relation or comparison to their previous records.

The first track proper 'The World At Large' is nice enough if fairly derivative of post-Deserter's Songs Mercury Rev, followed by the stunning single 'Float On'. A country-tinged pop masterpiece, its mantra of "Even if things get heavy we'll all float on" is universal in that vital way that great songs can be. The darker 'Ocean Breathes Salty' adds a little Talking Heads style funk into its oceanic pull, again with fantastic hooks and effortless (but obviously complex) shifts in mood. The tenth track 'The View' - another favourite - revisits this stunning mix of unhinged funkiness and hookiness to complete a trio of tracks to rival that of most contemporary artists.

Elsewhere, however, results are more mixed: 'Bury Me With It' is a basically a Pixies track, and not a very good one. 'Dance Hall' and 'This Devil's Work Day' ape Tom Waits in the most embarrassingly transparent way. Word of advice: if you are going to imitate a style, choose a less singular one than Waits'. 'Bukowski' survives some literature undergraduate lyrics with some folksy, sea shanty ruminations on God's will. 'Satin In A Coffin' and the Flaming Lips-produced 'The Good Times Are Killing Me' overdo the 'Aren't I F***ed Up' motif, in particular the latter with its catelogue of overt drug references. 'Black Cadillacs' is marred by adolescent swearing in the chorus while 'One Chance' is bog standard College Rock. In contrast, the delicate ballad 'Blame It On The Teutons' is countryfied space pop in the mold of English slowcore merchants Tram. It works well enough as an album, but the three best songs - worth the CD price alone - cast a bit of a shadow over the weaker tracks.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›