4.0 out of 5 stars just SO cool, all my friends comment on this album!
Published on 31 Jan. 2006 by shauna_the_original

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm-hearted but simple
I have to say that I was disappointed by this album. Although it has a simple, wide-eyed vision to it, and is a welcome change from the glitchy end of electronica, I can’t help feeling that is sound is too optimistic, too light-hearted and lacking in edge for my tastes. I think part of the problem is that the formula is repeated consistently throughout the album,...
Published on 15 Mar. 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars just SO cool, all my friends comment on this album!, 31 Jan. 2006
i've had this album about a year now, and i've only just noticed there's no review about it! it's an amazing album and you certainly won't regret buying it if you're into really heavenly optimistic melodies and harmonies. to be honest, when i listen to this album i always feel like it's the type of music that would be playing as you're ascending the escelator to heaven. it's got a supporting beat where there needs to be one but the songs rely on the happy trancy electric melody that's so gentle it'll make you smile to yourself every time you hear it. Track 4 tho, track four is just something more. Blumenwiese neben autobahn always grabs everyones attention, it's so chilled but there's something about the slight touch of melancholy in the piano sample that ulrich just builds more and more layers of fragile little harmonies on top of that has had the loudest drunkest men in my front room just quieten in awe of. If you haven't experienced his music or albums yet then this is a great introduction because the majority of this album is very happy, warm and interesting. if you already know a bit about him his second album "a strangely isolated place" as the name suggests puts you in contemplation at it's dark beauty which is more haunting than inviting, but just as mesmorising.
he's a real talent.
oh, and one more thing, if you play this album on a sunny day (this has happened to nearly all my friends) you'll be absolutely ecstatic with happiness because it's so nice it just becomes a soundtrack to your life and opens up your eyes to the beauty all around you. one for the MP3 player definatley - mark my words - don't leave home without it, it'll open up your world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly stunning album, 3 Mar. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Far Away Trains Passing By (Audio CD)
Like many other people, I found this album through searching for the composer of the music in the Lucozade advert.
I had the idea that it may be a Boards of Canada/FSOL/Autechre composition but discovered the previously unknown (to me) Ulrich Schnauss.
I can truly say that although this album has generic similarities to works by the above mentioned artists, there is something unique about the enthralling soundscapes offered.
Seldom have I been left so aghast by the complete excellence of an album.
Turn off the lights, turn up the volume and allow yourself to be transported 'elsewhere'
If I had to pick a favourite piece, Molfsee - a sub-aqua, outer-space, anti-gravity musical collage that leaves me reaching for my Thesaurus to look up excellent again. I just don't tire of hearing this.
Some purists decry Herr Schnauss as an 'arranger' of extant musical formulaic ideas. Be that as it may, he has arranged something very special, the likes of which any so called 'real' musician should be very proud.
This is a difficult album to find, but I can't imagine any fan of electronica/ambient or even trance would not enjoy this superb piece of music - so buy it if you can!

5.0 out of 5 stars Try it - I'd be very surprised if you didn't end up loving it., 27 Dec. 2006
Words fail me - which is perhaps not the best way to begin a review. . . . this album is simply too good to adequately summarise - but I'll try and fill you in on one of the best kept secrets in my music collection.

Schnauss' music has a timeless quality which takes it well beyond the stereotypical image of the "electronic" genre. I feel this is his strongest and most listenable album to date. If you like the kind of music that lets you totally unwind, but at the same time stretches your imagination; this album is a must for your collection.

It's thought provoking, emotional, ethereal, soothing, cool and eminently listenable whatever mood or scenario you're in at the time.. (i.e. works just as well full blast in a fast car on a bright sunny day as it does in a pitch black room through precision headphones having just been dumped)

I believe that sometimes the occasional piece of music can come along which is of such high quality and reaches you so sucessfully that you end up forming a deep friendship with the album which can last a lifetime. The more you listen, the more you understand, and the more meaningful it becomes. Based on this premise, Ulrich Schnauss is a damn good mate to have around.

For the price of a round of drinks, I strongly urge you to give this album a go - I'd be very surprised if you ended up feeling anything less than chuffed to bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven sounds like this, 4 Sept. 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars If Carlsberg made albums..., 12 July 2004
K-Pax (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Away Trains Passing By (Audio CD)
this would probably be right up there as one of the best in its genre. I couldn't stop playing it and the 2nd track, Between Us and Them, gives me an adrenaline rush EVERY time I listen to it.
The album does have elements of Kraftwerk and Royksopp blended throughout but Schnauss's compositions are addictive and mellow enough to both relax and have your foot tapping along.
This man will soon be a household name, no doubt about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A warm comforting cushion of sublime, 24 Jan. 2005
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Away Trains Passing By (Audio CD)
Its taken long enough for this to surface on Amazon. I had to search it out on the German site to get my grubby little mitts on it. After battling with a below par German ability and a wait for the arrival of the CD ... I wasn't disappointed.
I'd heard Ulrich Schnauss a few times before I'd got this, mentioned in hushed tones in (the now dead) Musik, dropped on many a Chris Coco mix and also finding its way onto Nick Warren's epic Global Underground mix. Its only a short experience and I'd ended up already owning 2 out of the 6 tracks on those compilations. Its nice to hear them in the context of the full album though.
So what are you getting for your money. Well its an area of IDM which is under exploited, most likely due to the snooty electronic fans need to have only the most abstract of bleeping squeals enter their eardrums. Very organic, lush, triumphant music. The synths never really sound like something that come out of a machine, more like something that has been grown in the (mythical) Musical Garden Of Perfection. Far Away Trains is by far my favourite track, blissful and extactic. The gentle chill of Knuddlemaus found favour with Chris Coco and Nobody's Home was the one Warren plumped for his Global Underground mix. Warren also did the genius move of mixing it with Boards Of Canada's Happy Cycling and it seems fitting that Schnauss has had similar inspiration. The final track of the album is the only one that breaks the mood, still very relaxed and comforting, it is more the kind of icy chill that you would expect to hear eminating from Music Has The Right To Children.
Grab this baby if you see it, be glad you don't have to go through all the hassle I did to get it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sunday Afternoons, 29 April 2007
Lab Rat (Bicester, England) - See all my reviews
My route to Mr. Schnauss was through a remix he did of Little 15 for Depeche Mode. The way he wove soothing tones through the track enhanced it and made me want to hear more. I searched, I scoured and I hunted. Eventually I tracked down this album. With it cornered, I took credit card in hand and went in for the kill. I have been feasting on it ever since.

Whether as background music to a lazy sunday afternoon or a gentle balm to soothe away a bad day, I thoroughly recommend it. It is one of those albums which I found instantly accessible but where you can find hidden pieces in the melodies, beats or bass lines. Oh, and it's much much lighter than the later A Strangely Isolated Place.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 22 April 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Far Away Trains Passing By (Audio CD)
This album is essential...Yes, not as experimental / leftfield as Boardsof Canada or Susumu Yokota, but still utterly brilliant.....and a futureclassic, no question.
Only problem - quite difficult to get hold of,until this recent amazon listing!
Let's hope for more live appearancesin 2004...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, Timeless, Thoughtful, Wonderful!, 12 Jan. 2007
DSR (out beyond the sticks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this album's followup on a recommendation and loved it so much I bought this one too.

The tone is light and chilled at first, smooth textures with gentle percussion. As you listen more, you become aware of the soothing key changes and subtle textures that can relax any stressed-out heart and calm jagged emotions...

I love this musical way of doing things, being "raised" on mid seventies Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze.... This collection owes much to them I feel, as well as having a hint of Chicane's gentler outings.

Favourite tracks? I haven't had the disc long enough as yet, but "Between Us And Them", "Passing By" (with its old fashioned percussion sounds) and "Suddenly The Trees Are Giving Way" have come to the fore.

If you'd like an "intelligent" album to chill out to that really gets the emotions without appearing to do so I'd recommend this release (and the follow up) without hesitation!

5.0 out of 5 stars supurbly simple soothing synths........, 18 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Far Away Trains Passing By (Audio CD)
I stumbled across this guy purely by chance and am so glad I did. First saw him at a festival whilst i was contemplating returning to my tent after a hard evening! this is how he grabbed me, here I was at a big music festival listening to down beat music in a field and loving it. I've always felt that downbeat music rarely tranfers to festival feilds but Mr Schnauss' certainly does.
His tunes are simply composed but oh so beautiful and soothing. Although there is no doubt that this is chill out music, there is something about it that pulls you along in a very non chillout way, something a little more driving. I call this music, in a very non technical way, 'big music' in the sense that it fills a room much like an orchestra when you turn it up nice and loud. I have to say this is my number one down beat album and I have played it to death, still confident it has some legs!
Dim the lights, turn on your lava lamp and enjoy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Far Away Trains Passing By
Far Away Trains Passing By by Ulrich Schnauss (Audio CD)