The Pixies: Pixies [DVD]
Price:£11.04+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

What a lot of moaners. For years nothing new about the Pixies, then a DVD with just about everything that existed on tape becomes available and people complain!
The gig is brilliant - pure Pixies magic. The documenary is watchable. As a fan of a marginalised band I found it refreshing to see other (well known!) people who felt the same as me about the Pixies. For those not in the know this was origionaly a TV documentary. Kim Deal isn't there - a shame, but better something than nothing! I'm sure she had her reasons and rather they cracked on without her than didn't bother. The videos aren't great but that's late '80s indie for you. The tour footage isn't excellent either, but its all there is.
In essence what someone has done is collected all the Pixies footage they could find and put it on a DVD. No complaints from me. It's still the best music DVD I have - because it has a Pixies concert on it. The rest is just a bonus; watch it if you're a full on Pixies fan, ignore it if you are a miserable sod.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I can't understand the other reviewers complaining about this DVD. They have already said the concert footage is worth the money alone - so whats the problem? Consider the other bits as free extras.
There really is very little of anything on the Pixies at all. Not much merchandise. I think one of the reasons they have become even more popular now is BECAUSE there is very little on them. They have preserved their legend very nicely indeed.
I have just seen them live at T in the Park and they are an incredible band. They just blew away all the other bands. If you have never heard them before there is definitely a learning curve. Everyone I know that is into the Pixies had to play their songs a few times. But once you do that you open the gates to a musical experience and is unrivalled for originality. The Pixies have few peers in modern music. They get called a cult band because they have never really pushed themselves into the public eye. They don't seem to want to. They're happy.
The DVD is in 4 parts:
Their videos - which certainly haven't had much money spent on them but they are quirkey and fun and actually very different to the normal rubbish videos you get for some bands.
A documentary - which is ok. Makes you realise how important they have been to some big bands and musicians - U2/Bowie/Radiohead.
On the road home movie - Great if your a Pixies fan. I thought it was quite watchable.
Pixies Live - what can I say, this is great. The energy in the band is amazing. They gel together so well. This concert is from their early days - after their first proper album. It would have been nice to have seen some tracks off the other albums. But they can do that on the next DVD !
To sum up: If you are a Pixies fan this DVD is a must buy. If you are not a fan buy their albums first, listen to them 5 times each, and then you will be buying this DVD anyway.
on 5 May 2004
becoming a pixies fan in 1999, i missed the beginnings of the phenomenal band that helped define modern indie/rock music. despite purchsing "surfa rosa" "doolittle" "bossanova" "trompe le monde" and the pixes "b-sides" i could only hear the genius of charles thompson's (aka frank black)lyrics and song writing capabilities, not forgetting the texture added by santiago's lead guitar, simple yet powerful, the rhythmic bass of kim deal as well as her unique voice and lastly the talented drumming of lovering.
this dvd gives you the opertunity to see the pixies live recorded in 1988 in the town and country club, london. the performance can only be described as mind blowing, playing a whole range of pixies songs including "bone machine" "caribou" "levitate me" "inheaven" "i am tired" the infamous "where is my mind?" and my personal favourite "hey". Frank Black has tremedous stage presence. Kim deal sings "gigantic", which is another brilliant, must see live song.
what is also great about this dvd is that it shows how great and inspiring santiago's lead guitar is to the pixies sound. which complements the lyrics and their deliverance from black, altogether making an incredible preformance you will want to see again and again.
the videos, straight forward, and add some more classic pixies songs to the dvd, such as "monkey gone to heaven" "alec eiffel" and "debaser". the "velouria" is...poor, but watchable at the same time.
on tour footage of the pixies is a great bonus to the dvd showing a closer a look to how extensive there touring was before they split up. however it lacks the intruigment of the videos and live concert.
the documentary "gouge" is on a par with the live footage from '88 and the videos, with comments from bowie, bono, pj harvey, tom yorke and some of the band too.
for £9.99 this is a must buy dvd.
on 13 September 2004
Some reviews have criticised the content of this DVD for being too repetitive, others have dismissed this criticism, happy to be getting any material at all on (the) Pixies.
I side strongly with the latter - if you're a big fan, you must own this DVD. Absolutely. Any complaint has such little impact on the overall "hit" of the DVD that it's still worth 5/5 to me.
The repetition is minimal in any event, and the quality of the performance excellent - worth seeing a couple of times! Having seen these guys live a few times recently it's amazing to see how their appearances have changed but how tight their music has remained.
So, in summary: buy it. I sincerely doubt you will regret it.
on 6 May 2004
With the welcome return of the pixies comes a new best-of and this fantastic dvd boasting video's, on-the road footage, a 50 minute live-set (mostly surfer rosa/c'mon pilgrim tracks) and a great documentary with interviews with the band and those they influenced. an all round amazing package that any self-respecting debaser should have.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Firstly I think it's important to get things in perspective. It's amazing there's a Pixies DVD at all. These guys were publicity shy, media un-savvy and had no big label behind them to push them in everybody's faces. The Pixies were unheard of at the time. I only stumbled upon them when listening to John Peel one night when I heard Monkey's Gone to Heaven. From then on I was hooked and quickly snapped up everything pixies related I could get. There wasn't much. It's only since they were name-checked by later bands that they've grown in popularity and hence this DVD.
Yes, the promos are bad but then that's true indie music. I love the fact they don't have glossy, lush high budget, high concept videos. Lots of bands I was into in the 80s couldn't even afford to make a video. To me that's a hallmark of authenticity.
Gouge is hardly in depth but is very watchable. It is sad that Kim is not involved with the documentary and an explaination of why would not have gone amiss.
Personally I enjoyed On the Road, it had that home movie vibe. I mean the Pixies were never gonna go for an in depth, fly on the wall approach. They seem like a band having fun with no idea of their greatness. I think that's as incisive an insight as any amount of famous talking head shots.
Of course the highlight is the live performance. I never got to see them live and I haven't been able to get tickets for their recent tour either so this is precious to me and well worth the meagre price for this dvd. I'd happily have paid twice as much.
So, while there isn't a lot of footage on this DVD, there never was. Which makes what we have here all the more precious. If you have it; cherish it. If you don't; get it now and sleep with it beneath your pillow.
on 5 May 2004
The Pixies have always felt for me like a wonderful secret: one of the best ever bands, and one that never made it into the mainstream. It was an essential part of their appeal.
So the experience of watching Gouge, the hour-long documentary included here, is both exciting and almost intrusive. This private joy is openly discussed with slack-jawed admiration by the likes of David Bowie, Bono, Thom Yorke, PJ Harvey, Fran Healy and other acolytes who, it turns out, were in on it all too.
It’s generally very well put together, and delivers a near coup in assembling the retrospective comments of producers Steve Albini and Gil Norton, plus three of the band members themselves (Kim is sadly conspicuous in her absence). There are some genuine thrills here, such as Joey recalling his retreat from the speakers in anticipation of one of Charles’s signature screams.
The documentary is a little let down, however, by a poverty of available footage, as it relies exclusively on a 1988 London gig (the same show that headlines the DVD), meaning that discussion of Bossanova and Trompe le Monde is somewhat hamstrung.
The other major highlight is a tantalising compilation of on-the-road home movies from 1989. Crammed with eye-widening, blink-and-you’ll-miss-them insights, it leaves you with the overpowering impression that this massively influential band was as utterly ordinary as you and me.
I think I like the Pixies even more now...
on 1 June 2004
firstoff, let me say that any pixies fan must buy this dvd, and will do anyway. now I have got that out of the way, time for a disclaimer and a bit of a moan.
although I believe pixies to be one of the most important bands of all time, it has to be said that they were guilty of making some of the worst promo videos I have ever had the misfortune to sit through. be very aware that you will probably only watch these videos once. or maybe a second time, to show your friends, who also love their music, just how hideously terrible they are.
the 'on the road' documentary is also very poor, offering no insight into the band's internal dynamics, and offering very little other than kim deal bought her family and friends pretty bad gifts. there are a couple of nice live performances in there though, including a snippet of a late 80s glastonbury set.
the 'gouge' documentary is better, but is little more than a bunch of british artists (including bowie, pj harvey, blur) saying how great pixies are, which we know already, and doesn't feature any input at all from kim deal, which is criminal.
the live set is (obviously)brilliant however, and is worth the price of the disc alone.
so - if you have not already bought this, buy it, but be aware that a couple of elements are very poor.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I don't understand those reviewers that are disappointed with this DVD. Not only is there a full concert of the Pixies during the Surfer Rosa era with good sound quality, really capturing the moment, but lots of extra material such as the tour footage & promo videos.
In fact if you turn it up loud & stick your head right up close to the telly, craning your neck for an hour you can almost imagine your back in the Town & Country Club, ten years younger watching the best live band that ever was!
Excellent value from one of the greatest bands of all time!
on 4 May 2004
For any true Pixies fan, this DVD will be a godsend. Live music at its rawest and most powerful. The documentary "Gouge" is a good insight into the band with interesting soundbites from David Bowie, Bono, Thom Yorke etc. on the influence and great music of the Pixies.
Also includes a number of videos that complete this DVD Package.
Can't wait to see them live in the flesh.
Highly recommended !!