Format: DVD|Change

on 26 November 2010
I took a chance on buying this dvd as I missed the programmes when they were on television. Given that the subject matter includes some fine old buildings, you would think that it would be hard to get this series wrong - but they did.

The presenter is one of the most irritating people ever to present a television programme - he talks like some old spinster from a Victorian novel, and his neurotic hand gestures are irritating in the extreme.

The camara work uses 1980s 'yoof' television techniques of spinning round the Miss Havisham-style presenter, and leave you feeling nauseous.

Like I said, it should have been hard to get this programme wrong - but they did.

Don't waste your time and money.
on 5 June 2015
I have now watched and listened these marvellous videos twice and the experiences have been truly excellent, Thank You!
on 15 May 2013
Fair series with much of interest, sometimes quite informative, and a good variety of different churches not usually covered.

Some surprising omissions eg St Paul's, Westminster, Durham, Ely but then not possible to do everything

Series is regretably marred despite interesting subject matter by the buffoon Binski on an ego trip continually intruding unnecessarily -- 'here is me driving.... here is me talking ['isn't this wonderful' -- his face???, NO! show what is wonderful: THE SUBJECT not the clownish narrator].. me walking... me being the village idiot peaking inanely round corners....me waving hands .... me ..me .. me'

Great topic; spoiled by very poor presentation with too much Binski.
on 8 November 2011
If you are interested in the religious architecture of Britain this set of two DVDs is a must have and a bargain as well.
Paul Binski with deliciously clear diction and superb voice inflection uses the 15 half-hour sessions to trace the history from Norman times to the present century. Each session covers two to four or so well selected churches (or other religious meeting places)and walks us through and around the buildings. He introduces us briefly to vicars and other leaders but does most of the talking himself and this is in no way a disadvantage. He points out relevant features of interest and describes where they fit, in the historical development of the architecture and in the changing theological and cultural contexts which have influenced them. With an infectious enthusiasm he also delightedly points out to us occasional features we might otherwise easily have missed which add interest and sparkle to the presentation. If anyone was ever tempted to think church architecture was a purely academic subject or dry as dust, that person should definitely buy this DVD set and sit enthralled through every one of its energetically captivating sessions. Here we have a lively presenter who knows his stuff and also knows how to lift us up into his own enthusiastic appreciation of the subject.
The well chosen background music, different for each building, is an added bonus.
My only regret is that I now know many more "must see" places in Britain than I, in far away New Zealand, will ever get to see.
on 10 March 2015
Most unusual and interesting.
on 4 August 2014