4.0 out of 5 stars pleasantly different
Published on 5 July 2004 by unitedconspiracy

3.0 out of 5 stars Gomez- Split the Difference
The story continues...As a fairly fanatical Gomez fan, I've been looking forward to this new album with some anticipation. Was it worth the wait? Yes and no.
Published on 17 May 2004 by Phil

4.0 out of 5 stars pleasantly different, 5 July 2004
This review is from: Split The Difference (Audio CD)
I had heard, prior to the release of 'split the difference', gomez were incorporating a more 'rockier feel' to their latest album. Being a fan of their charming, melodic musical genius I grew slightly cynical of this. I thought they were possibly trying to become something they're not, forcing themselves (with the help of the divine comedy apparently) to tread uncertain ground, just to keep up with today's musical demand (like a bad barn refurbishment). I got round to actually listening to it when visiting my local record shop, and to my surprise there it was in the cd player. I listened, enjoyed yet wasn't overkeen. I was impressed with their opening track 'do one' but other tracks just didn't grab me with too much intensity. I bought it and listened to it at home, and god were my initial, cynical impressions wrong. After a few listens I was hooked. It made me realise, it takes more than a quick listen on one of those dodgy record shop cd players to appreciate a group like gomez. Their music requires/deserves more, a long careful listen on a good stereo system. Like other gomez albums it takes more than a listen to fall in love. The great thing is it hasn't lost that melodic, intelligent gomez touch. Tracks like 'Me, You and everybody' and 'meet me in the city' still have it and more. Its well worth the investment, just don't rely on record shop cd players to make up your mind!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gomes is great, 17 Mar 2010
This review is from: Split The Difference (Audio CD)
I like Gomes, and in this CD they do not disapoint me, again. Great music, a lot of different rhythms through out the CD, makes it realy good to listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gomez, 14 Nov 2009
Julia M. Wherlock "the writer" (cambridge england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Split The Difference (Audio CD)
Split the Difference, much as you'd expect from this band. Weird and very quirky with a stand out singer. Love all their stuff and play in background when I'm writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album has changed my life, 15 Jun 2008
You are reading my username (Adelaide, South Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Split The Difference (Audio CD)
Unlike most people, this was my first Gomez album. The first song I heard from them was Catch Me Up (though it turned out I'd heard Bring It On and Shot Shot before) but that was the first song I really payed attention to. I didn't like it at first but the song intreiged me and grew. Then I heard Silence and bought the album on the spot. Wow.

The first song I heard was Do One, and after hearing only Tom Grey sung songs this came to me as something as a shock. It was crazy, it was bizzare, it was fantastic. Track after track I was amazed. Gomez had warped me for life.

Nothing Is Wrong and Sweet Virginia are some of the most beautiful and fantastic songs my ears have ever fallen upon. Split The Difference definately results in being in my Top 5 favourite albums of all time, and since I listen to heaps and heaps of music that's pretty hard.

Since that fateful afternoon in 2004 I've bought all thier albums and many many singles from them as well (they're fun to collect). I love most of it, though no album to date has come close to Split The Difference.

+ The dressing up for the photo shoots was a neat idea too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah there an alternative rock band! They tend to change!, 24 Jun 2004
This review is from: Split The Difference (Audio CD)
This album is right up there with bring it on, it has the same haunting slower numbers such as 'There it was' and 'Sweet Virgina' but teh highly energetic ones like 'Do one','Silence','Chicken Out' and 'Catch me up'.
This album is a big change for the band but whats wrong with that? It is just as good and arguably better as their previous albums. As they say in their BBC interveiw "We just started playing music with more energy in it, and we found it more enjoyable".
I saw the boys live at the Carling Acadmey in Birmingham and they were AMAZING! I recommened to all!

3.0 out of 5 stars Gomez- Split the Difference, 17 May 2004
Phil (Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Split The Difference (Audio CD)
The album starts off well, "Do One" being a jumpy-catchy opener which gets you rocking (I was singing along by the end of the song), and the next few tracks follow on likewise, especially the new single "Silence". It all gets rather rambling towards the middle of the album, as a few of the tracks lack a central theme (not unlike most of the tracks on Liquid Skin, which I've gone off a bit over time), but they bring it back with the excellent "Catch me up", which is one of the best songs I've heard in recent times- a quirky, kind of sweet song. It's only bettered on the album by "Chicken Out", which is a bit crazy, and a bit funny, like so many of their best tracks.
Unfortunately, it peters out towards the end, with the final track "There it was" being a well-intentioned sentimental crooner which isn't bad but ultimately isn't quite right- just like most of the album.
For those of you looking for the next Bring It On (like myself, I must admit), this isn't it. There's nothing to give it the epic moments of "Tijuana Lady" or "Free to Run" but I can forgive them that- times have changed, and so have Gomez. This is a catchy, sing-along piece of music with its own sense of greatness. Some of these tracks could revolutionise pop music, but hardly anyone will hear them. Such a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gomez have definately turned it around!!!, 2 July 2004
This review is from: Split The Difference (Audio CD)
After their great debut (Bring it all on) and their superb follow up (Liquid Skin), Gomez's third album "In Our Gun", was a bit of a disapointment. Although their first two album sometimes descended in to a bit of a dirge at times, their fine tunes and interweaving melodies set them apart from their comtempories. Although their third album cut down on the "dirge" of noise sometimes found on the first two albums(think "Rie's Wagon" on Bring it On), it somehow lacked the originality of tune and lyrics of the two debut albums.
Which is where Split the Difference comes in. Released with almost zero publicity and an anonynimity usually reserved for much less talented and well known bands. Gomez have produced and released an absolute classic of an album, without so much as a whisper being said about it.
Split the Difference combines the sheer brilliance of Liquid Skin and Bring it On, with the subtle simplicity of In Our Gun. Although there is no "Get Myself Arrested", "We Haven't Turned Around" or "Whippin Piccadilly" on this album, the sheer consistency of the tunes and general ambience of the album makes this arguably Gomez's best effort yet.
This is a must for any record collection. Give it a spin and you'll soon find yourself smiling and singing along to something totally different and something very, very refreshing!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars New album, 27 Mar 2004
Thomas Coates (Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Split The Difference (Audio CD)
My god, Gomez have done it again. Making another classic, easily on a par with liquid skin . The whole album is classic, the first thing you want to do when you listen to it is turn it up to full volume and dance. The singing is at some points creepy, but not in a bad way, it is truely one of the best albums to come out this year. It does however lack a stand-out track but who the hell cares when the album is so good. The cd extra features are shocking though, they are only a new media player. But on the whole, if you are an indi-kid or a person who likes music for the misician's credibility, id say buy it. Well done guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars beatiful, 5 Dec 2004
This review is from: Split The Difference (Audio CD)
gomez have done it again. i love it. incredible, well worth buying. after i heard that gomez were incorporating a more rockier feel i was dreading a new, worse album but it is better than ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gomez ARE rock.........you are nothing, 28 April 2004
Sheila (Mona Vale, NSW.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Split The Difference (Audio CD)
You want rock??? Drop everything folks - the new Gomez album has set newstandards for the way rock music should sound in 2004. From start tofinish, this album brims with cracking pop songs, played brilliantly andboosted by a fat new beefy sound courtesy of Kiwi producer Tchad Blake.The simple, focussed songs on this album showcase a different side to themost talented band in Britain today. Whether the public will buy it isanyone's guess, but for me, I can't think of a better way to get a springin your step and a smile on your face. Buy or die........

Split The Difference
Split The Difference by Gomez (Audio CD - 2004)