5.0 out of 5 stars Country. But not as we know it, 2 Jun 2006
Michael Clowes "Mike C" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh, My Girl (Audio CD)
This is a masterpiece of an album, but it carries a health warning. The music contained inside the CD case is jet black. Honestly. This girl could out-goth Marilyn Manson. It is a combination that works beautifully. Forlorn yet insistent guitar that seems to be travelling to your ear from the ether. A violin that seems to be winding its way home late at night alone, heartbroken. And Jesse Sykes voice. And what a voice it is. This voice has the power to evoke raw emotion in a listener. At turns heart breaking, frightening, but ultimately uplifting. These are songs of misplaced love, innocence lost, and loneliness. Jesse Sykes achieves all this with her remarkable vocals while still suggesting redemption may not be too far away.

Truly bleak, exceptionally beautiful, this music is unique, and Jesse Sykes is peerless.

Listen with the lights off.

5.0 out of 5 stars A latecomer!, 19 Nov 2013
Mr. Stephen H. Lyall (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh, My Girl (Audio CD)
Only just came across this artist via a chance mention in another review on an Americana website. My lucky day I guess because this is great stuff. Jesse Sykes has a lovely soft sultry smooth voice which eases you into the songs. The prominent guitar work with violin/viola, organ and sometimes steel guitar work together to produce a flowing frequently beautiful effect. The whole album is a complete joy but You are not gotten here and Birds over water are particular favourites at the moment. I know I am a latecomer but I am wasting no time in catching up having also bought Reckless burning which is also working its magic at present. The most recent release will undoubtedly follow. Bit pointless I suppose reviewing an album this old but it really is a gem and ought to be in more peoples cd/record collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply wonderful, 5 May 2004
This review is from: Oh, My Girl (Audio CD)
For those who loved reckless burning, you are in for a treat. Jesse and cohorts have crafted an album of stunning, subtle beauty. Music to chill, to love , to realise there are other people who see the beauty in life the way that you do..

5.0 out of 5 stars dull weather and a drop of booze, 14 Nov 2014
This review is from: Oh, My Girl (Audio CD)
Mellow magic. Lazy loveliness. An album that goes well with dim lights, dull weather and a drop of booze. A delightful set of songs.

Oh, My Girl
Oh, My Girl by Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter (Audio CD - 2004)