5.0 out of 5 stars Angelic Upstarts of Highest Order
Published on 20 Mar 2004 by Carole-anne Davies

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't belive the reviews !
I just can't believe the reviews this T.V film has received . I looked at the cast and the reviews and thought this is for me ! I feel I have wasted 6 hours of my life, on this self riotous American garbage .Every scene is over acted to the point of farce with the characters just getting on your nerves . The dream scenes are just embarrassing . Why sit through 6 hours...
Published on 13 Feb 2007 by Mark Wharton

5.0 out of 5 stars Angelic Upstarts of Highest Order, 20 Mar 2004
Carole-anne Davies "sparkla" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Six hours of tv? The first three flew by and we cancelled all engagements in order to view the second. Launched with Al Pacino's queen bitch lawyer Roy Cohn, McCarthy's right hand man exercising his still potent power, for the benefit of the so far repressed, cherub faced Joe. Descending into the pit that was 1980s American indifference to and absolution of any response to the AIDS epidemic coursing through the nation's veins, America slowly comes to terms with homosexuality and its public invisibility. Tony Kushner's play is a masterpiece, dealing with America's coming out and the confusion, fear and loss of a "pestillence" stricken generation. Watch, witness, weep and laugh with this ultimately life affirming, hallucinatory disection of individuality, interpendence, suffering, loss, love, life, faith, guilt and survival. Spectacular peformances - not least by Ms Streep in several roles including an ageing Rabbi - and Jeffrey Wright. Settle in and prepare to be awakened.

5.0 out of 5 stars Angels., 25 April 2005
This review is from: Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Shockingly, amazingly beautiful. The acting is exquisite, the characters perfectly flawed, and the plotline magical. Justin Kirk in particular presents one of the most alive, real characters in Prior that I have ever seen on screen.
I can say with all honesty that this film has changed my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Angels in America greatest thing on television. Ever., 15 July 2004
This review is from: Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
1000 words could not nearly suffice to give AinA the praise it deserves; it is a masterpiece of modern drama and outclasses anything I've ever seen. The production is superb - from Thomas Newman's score and the recreation of the 80s to the very subtle but poignant touch of having the Twin Towers appear.
The script is out of this world - witty, sincere, affecting and - most importantly of all - so, so real. Tony Kushner touches every corner of our hearts with his words, always full of thought and meaning. He tackles important issues - AIDS, race, love - with tremendous understanding and sensitivity.
But without a doubt, the crowning triumph of the whole enterprise - and this is saying something, given the quality of all other facets - is the acting. From Al Pacino's heartless Roy Cohn to Meryl Streep's Rabbi/Mother Pitt to Emma Thompson's Angel/Nurse/Homeless Person, including Patrick Wilson, Justin Kirk, Ben Shenkman, Jeffrey Wright and (especially) Mary Louise Parker, there is no praise high enough. These surely must be performances of a lifetime, and I certainly cannot envisage a better ensemble.
Breathtaking. Outstanding. Out of this world.
See it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "In touching you we touch all humanity", 5 Sep 2005
Benjamin J. Whitehouse "Book geek" (Wrexham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Wonderful wonderful wonderful!
HBO have become a centre for excellence. Angels is a jewel in their crown. Wonderful direction, moving music, incredible writing, superb acting.
Tony Kushner's extraordinary stage plays were wonderful theatrical events because you could see the wires and were hyper aware of the theatricality of the whole event.. some of this has been lost but more than made up for by the incredible CGI additions. Things that were troubling in the staging become moments of humour and wonder. Never has the angel been so awsome, haunting and beautiful.
Kushner dares us to pay attention by writing long and involved scenes. He doesn't seek to ease the audience by cutting between lots of short scenes. He gives his characters the ability to voice themselves even in the depths of pain, sorrow or madness. Their voices cry out for themselves and for all humanity. This is a time specific play but universal in it's themes. They are specific characters but speak for us all.
Dismiss this at your peril.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I bought this from a DVD store without knowing what it was. I saw the cast listed on the back,the awards it had won, but nothing to indicate what the story was about. I looked it up online and my heart sank. The last thing I wanted was to watch someone dying of Aids. One night I decided to give it a go and was completely bowled over. The acting is absolutely superb and I can't praise the cast highly enough. It is a beautiful film and I now recommend it to friends. It isn't often I watch a DVD twice, but have just started watching it again. Unfortunately the second disc has been trashed by a friend who borrowed it, so I am about to order another copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Angels in America part 1, 26 Feb 2005
Mr R Mason (Southampton, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
This is another excellent production from HBO. It is very moving and thought provoiking. It acts a reminder of the stigma attached to HIV & Aids in the early 80's when it was still a very unkown quantity. A good reminder that Aids is still out and is still a problem

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful.'Angels in America'., 17 Mar 2004
This review is from: Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I can only agree with the masses.'Angels in America' had me gripped from beginning to end.To date I have only seen the film shown on t.v but I am now in the process of reading the book.There's no other film that has made me want to see it again,let alone read the book! If I could give more than 5 stars..I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely flippin' fabulous!, 5 Mar 2004
This review is from: Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I can't write a comprehensive report here, I'm sorry. But I can say that 'Angels in America' is the best film I've ever seen in my entire life. How's that for a recommendation? 'Angels..' is a rapturous, painful journey of growth and discovery that, despite the apparent divine intervention, leaves the viewer with nothing but faith, still wanting 'more life'. I can guarantee that you will finish watching 'Angels..' and be changed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing in every way. It's absolutely brilliant!!!!!, 10 Jun 2009
R. (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
A fabulous mini series for everyone who loves good acting combined with fast dialogues and fertile imagination. An absolute feast for the eyes and the mind. Thank you HBO, once again!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars "You believe the world is perfectable and so you find it unsatisfying", 26 Mar 2008
Nicholas Casley (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
"You believe the world is perfectable and so you find it unsatisfying. You have to reconcile yourself to the world's unperfectability."

These words, spoken from one man to another on a deserted Long Island beach on a blustery sunny day, speak to the heart of this tale.

This is a multi-award winning filmed version of Tony Kushner's multi-award winning Broadway play. Set in 1985 Manhattan, it's all about ... well, it's all about Jews and Mormons, gays and straights, justice and lawyers, holes in the ozone layer, Reagan, little blue pills and green capsules, dreams and hallucinations, AIDS, passing blood, doubts, confessions, angels and burning ladders to heaven. OK? It's also about laughter, tears, wit, love, hate. It's a melodramatic whimsy, but subject to damn good writing and acting.

As for the acting, how can you go wrong with multiple parts played by Meryl Streep, Emma Thompson, and Jeffrey Wright; with a knock-out performance by Al Pacino; and with cameos by James Cromwell, Michael Gambon, and Simon Callow? The central supporting cast led by Patrick Wilson and Ben Shenkman is outstanding.

Alas, no extras.

Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004]
Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004] by Mike Nichols (DVD - 2008)
5.00