4.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed but much lower light output compared to LED
I only bought this as a toy for my daughter who is under 2 but loves torches. My LED torch I felt was sure to burn her retinas out so got this for her.
Maglites are built to last but with today's LED technology these lights are a bit dated and do not give out anywhere near the same light as LED bulbs. The light also has a yellow tinge to it.
The beam can be...
Published 4 months ago by Jam C

1.0 out of 5 stars Outdated
I bought one of these twenty years ago, and I am surprised they are still on sale when LED torches are so much better. Its maximum light level is 2.3 lumens, whereas modern competitors do 80+ lumens, also on one AAA battery, such as
I used it for years but when the bulb...
Published on 18 Jan. 2013 by Dr. Sylvia Knight

1.0 out of 5 stars Outdated, 18 Jan. 2013
Dr. Sylvia Knight (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maglite Boxed AAA Solitaire Torch - Red (DIY & Tools)
I used it for years but when the bulb blew yet again (it has replaceable bulbs, whereas LEDs just keep on going) I threw it away and treated myself to something better. The Thrunite linked above also has a low power mode that is brighter than the Maglite and runs for about ten times as long. It is a similar price, smaller, more waterproof, and thirty times as much light comes out on full power. There are plenty of cheaper and tinier alternatives too if you're not wedded to the AAA battery. Your mobile phone might put out more light than this too!

Incandescent lightbulbs in this day and age: just say no.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, should have known better, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Maglite Solitaire (DIY & Tools)
No point writing a long review, it is overpriced and underpowered.

A mobile phone torch app will output more light then this feeble attempt at a torch, Manufacturer should have used a LED optic at the very least I mean the cost is peanuts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright but at this price point you can get a ..., 13 July 2014
This review is from: Maglite Boxed AAA Solitaire Torch - Red (DIY & Tools)
Alright but at this price point you can get a larger lumen/run time nowadays, look up the ThruNite Ti2 for a similar form factor :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor value, 8 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Maglite Boxed AAA Solitaire Torch - Red (DIY & Tools)
Bought this little torch to wear on a lanyard around my neck when camping, hiking, etc. I've been using it for over a year now. This is a robust item that throws a beam of light which can be altered by simply twisting the bezel. However, the quality of the light source is very poor compared with other similar products on the market for under a tenner (LED's are so much better). The beam is a dull yellow/orange colour and very disappointing compared with more modern technology. I have £1.00 keyring lights which are much brighter and give a more useful 'white' light. Plus, battery life is poor. Comes with small lanyard and decent quality AAA battery and a very durable case. Comes with a nice little presentation case which is attractive if you're considerng offering it as a gift to someone. Given poor light quality I would not buy this item again and can see this product becoming redundant in very near future due to better quality products for similar price. Despite this, it is still a useful accessory to have as it has a multitude of uses around the house and also outdoors. Better than nothing but poor value for money nowadays.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an LED Torch, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Maglite Boxed AAA Solitaire Torch - Red (DIY & Tools)
Poor light output as this product uses an incandescent bulb rather then an LED, as I had mistakenly expected it would be (in this day and age). Checking the product description (which I have cut and paste below), I can see why I was mistaken.

"O-ring seaLED for water resistance".

This product looks a much better bet: ThruNite Ti 2 Flashlight, Cree XP-G2 LED, 81 lumen, OP reflector, Waterproof to IPX-8(blue)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed but much lower light output compared to LED, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Maglite Boxed AAA Solitaire Torch - Red (DIY & Tools)
The beam can be easily adjusted narrow or wide by twisting the end and the end can also be removed to use the torch in a candle mode, something LED torcehes can't do.
I bought mine on offer for under £3 and frankly as a toy its fine but for anything else and at the usual price I would pass it by and order an LED torch as I have done before.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, small and robust, 21 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Maglite Boxed AAA Solitaire Torch - Red (DIY & Tools)
I've been buying and playing with CREE lights recently so when using this for the first time I had to try and remember that purely because Mag Lites aren't any where near as powerful as their zeon brothers. However, waterproofing seems sound, nice little box to keep, the tie and keychain loop seems reliable and it came with a battery. The torch is sturdy, zoomable and feels really robust. I'll be very happy sticking this in my pocket or general every day use, but I imagine all the rubbing will quickly remove that lovely red metalic colouring!

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat little torch, 10 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Maglite Boxed AAA Solitaire Torch - Red (DIY & Tools)
Bought this for my wife to attach to her handbag for the winter months when it gets dark early. It's the same colour as the slightly larger one she has but which is a bit too big to put in her handbag. She'd kept forgetting to take that torch anyway so a smaller one attached to a key ring and Carbiner clip to whichever handbag she chooses to use is perfect.

Magalite torches are very good ( if not the best ) so this was a perfect gift and my wife loved it, so very pleased with this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars after turning it on I thought the battery supplied was flat but after fitting a new battery it was no better. with one 1, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Maglite Boxed AAA Solitaire Torch - Red (DIY & Tools)
I would not give this any stars at all. after turning it on I thought the battery supplied was flat but after fitting a new battery it was no better. with one 1.5v battery I should have known that this torch would be rubbish. the description supplied is completely false this gives out no light what so ever. I would recommend buying candles they will give out more light. trading standards should be notified about the description of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars solitaire mag lite, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Maglite Boxed AAA Solitaire Torch - Red (DIY & Tools)
Excelllent mini torch and cannot fault this product however when. It arrived it was packaged in a box that was not fully sealed and unfofrtunately the box the torch comes in had opened and the key ring strap was missing this was disappointing as it was bought as a xmas present and was too late to return it and get it back in time for xmas.
a great item spoiled only by shoddy packaging.

Maglite Boxed AAA Solitaire Torch - Red