Format: DVD|Change

on 12 July 2004
Les Dawson was an integral part of TV when I was growing up, first with his own shows and later as presenter of 'Blankety Blank'. To my mind, he sits alongside Spike Milligan as one of the funniest people ever to grace this planet and Dawson was, without a doubt, the master of the deadpan delivery.
This DVD is basically a compilation of bits and pieces from Les Dawson's various TV shows, including the odd excerpt from 'Opportunity Knocks' and 'Blankety Blank'. All the usual staples are here: Cissy and Ada, his hilarious double act with Roy Barraclough of 'Coronation Street' fame, Zebediah Twine the magician as well as the monologues (how did he manage to keep a straight face?), the near legendary mother-in-law jokes and, lest we forget, his superbly off-kilter piano playing (Les Dawson was, in fact, an extremely talented pianist)
The quality of some of the BBC's DVD releases leaves a lot to be desired, and this is no exception - there are no extras to speak of and the subtitling is rather poor although given the age of some of the material included, the mono soundtrack can just about be forgiven.
These faults aside, it's a fitting tribute to a British comedy legend.
0Comment| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2009
one of the funniest dvds of LES I have seen for a long time it brought back memories of how funny he was
on 7 December 2010
In my view Les Dawson was never the same after he moved from Yorkshire TV. The "Sez Les" programmes gave free rein to his down-to-earth vulgarity. His BBC work was still funny, but somehow more restrained and refined - the roughness had been smoothed down. This DVD has its fair share of funny moments but it lacks any overall style or continuity, it's just a rag-bag of clips and doesn't do its subject justice.
on 12 November 2014
Very funny and typical topics that he turns around to make them so funny.
He is good dressing up into charactors and he seems to live the person he's portraying.
He has so many short phrases that are very well thought out.
I can recommend this DVD it will appeal to lot's of ages and is just agood pick you up.
on 4 January 2013
This DVD does not do Les Dawson justice in that only bits of individual shows are included, and not the best at that. I was hoping this DVD would be part of a series of the full half hour shows as originally shown during his lifetime. This is not the case. Disappointing.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 February 2015
I love Les Dawson, I was very lucky once, I saw him live along side Roy Barraclough in Jack & the beanstalk when I was about 10, and ever since that day I was hooked, he is one of the best comedians to ever grace the stage and the small screen, everything he did he put his heart and sole into, even Blankety Blank he made it his own, even to the point that we forget about terry wogan doing it, this dvd shows most of his best moments, and just shows what a true master of his trade.

I have just seen on itv an Audience with Les Dawson, which he did agree to do before he died, at first it was a bit weird to see him on stage, well he was a hologram, and he looked so realistic, so it's well worth a watch, come on itv this deserves a dvd release.
on 26 January 2016
This dvd is so funny, but there is no one like Les Dawson to get you going. I grew up with Les on the telly, and I find this just as funny now as I did all those years ago, he died far too soon. I would certainly recommend this dvd for a jolly good belly laugh.
on 18 May 2014
I was very happy to have purchase this item being a big fan of Les Dawson. The DVD is all about his best bits that he has done from The Les Dawson show to the faboulous sketch where he dresses up as a woman. This DVD will have you in stitches from start to finish. There is just under 1 and a half hours of fantastic comedy from the great legend. If like me, you are a huge fan of Les Dawson, I recommend this to anyone and you will not be dissapointment.
on 22 December 2010
Had I seen this before I bought it, I would not have purchased. I do not think it is best bits at all, quite disappointing.
on 1 March 2012
Used to watch Les Dawson as a kid but you forget how funny he was.Probably would not get away with his style of humour today.Which is best but at the time was funny.Sorry