on 8 January 2011
Hand cutting mitres in tall skirting board is a real pain and I've tried various methonds including the near useless MagicMitre but the EMIR is a brilliantly simple practical tool that does precisely what they say. Cutting deep mitres is dead easy and accurate. You do have to take care as only one side of the saw is guided but it took very little practice to master. I also found that it's best to have a good sharp saw for the job and one of the many hardpoints that are around these days are fine. Overall, an excellent tool at a great price.
on 25 February 2013
I tried several shops to purchase some form of mitre block which would accept 7inch skirting boards including well known outlets . The only place being amazon, the block did the job but only just do not expect to complete the whole house. The only tip I would offer after completing three corners is this: use a sharp saw and cut very slowly otherwise you mutilate the wear strips
on 30 May 2009
The EMIR mitre box is a cost effective piece of equipment to enable the accurate installation of deep skirting board
VINE VOICEon 22 March 2016
I bought this item to mitre-cut some tall (200mm) skirting boards. Overall, it was useful, and more helpful than other tools I've used for the job (a jigsaw whose 45 degree angle is not exactly 45 degrees, and a circular bandsaw which doesn't lift high enough to cut a tall board).

If you line the board up properly then you will get a proper 45 degree angle.

That said, there are a number of issues with it.
1. Not mentioned on the listing, but the best way to use this (and the way recommended on the packaging) is to clamp it to a workbench. I didn't have a workbench or a clamp, so i've been using it laid flat, which means the board can move around inside it.
2. The clips which turn in to hold the board in place do not go in very far, so I ended up also slipping in a thin book to hold the board flat (the board was 20mm thick, and the depth of the gap is about 30mm). I should also note that there are three of these, not two (as shown in the picture) - the product you'll get is a bit taller than it looks here.
3. The brown guide strips you see in the picture are made of a thin layer of flimsy plastic. A sharp saw will eat into them so they are no longer flat - and so the cut you get is also not entirely straight. After you've sawed through that plastic, you also cut into the relatively cheap MDF from which the EMIR product is made - which again can be cut so the line doesn't end up straight.

Even with all of the above flaws though, the product does get you pretty close to a decent 45 degree angle - and it works.
on 31 January 2012
Easy to use and provides an excellent mitre joint on skirting boards, shame I only had one or two do but then the price was very reasonable so not a problem.
on 28 January 2012
I have used this to produce internal and external mitres in 7 inch deep MDF skirting. It produces reasonably accurate 45 degree mitres once you've got used to it (my first attempt wasn't great).

It seems to be well assembled, but my main complaint would be the quality of the materials. The structure is MDF, and I can't see the thread which accepts the plastic thumb screws lasting very long. Additionally, the Tufnel wear strips have worn quite badly where the saw blade has been in contact with them (I have been using a fine toothed 11TPI saw). The instruction leaflet does say that the strips will need to be replaced periodically, but I have only made 28 (careful) cuts so far. I would have hoped it would last a little longer.

Nevertheless, for the price, I can't complain. All in all, it's an inexpensive solution for the occasional DIYer.
on 3 May 2014
Its MDF board glued together with plastic strips glued on top. With a small amount of use, one of the strips fell off! Why they dont make them with metal strips I will never know.

Sent back for a full refund
on 26 November 2013
This product was broken on arrival . My partner had to repair it as he needed to use it for a job immediately and could not wait for a replacement. Would not recommend
on 28 January 2012
The 9in version is taller than the illustration and has 3 screws. I found the thread on the screws a bit tricky - it's easy to put them in cross-threaded. Also you need to use one hand to hold the saw against the mitre while you cut. This is much easier on one side than the other, unless you are ambidextrous and comfortable using the saw in either hand. But it does the job, and it would have been a lot harder without it.
on 1 November 2013
As other reviews have pointed out, the plastic strips against which the saw moves do not last for long. Once one had come off the accuracy of the mitre was affected, so I suppose I should have removed the strip on the other side to match. A spare set of self adhesive strips should be provided. Despite this it was easy to use provided it was well anchored down.