5.0 out of 5 stars Best in its field
Having just drilled through a lead water pipe (what a disaster) I thought it was time I bought another one of these; I lost my old one.
Published on 3 Oct. 2010 by Johnny G

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Great in hollow walls, worthless for concrete walls
Helped me identify electrical wires and metallic pipes in hollow (dry) walls, but was completely clueless when it came to concrete walls. I had to just take the risk drilling holes in concrete walls.
Published on 6 Sept. 2011 by Sandeep Thukral

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in its field, 3 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Rapitest Wpp123 Wire/Pipe and Power Detector (DIY & Tools)
I paid £30 for an alternative which was useless. These instruments cannot give absolute precision because of items very close which just MAY interfere but this does come pretty close to the precision needed for DIY. At the time of my comments this is around £10 on Amazon and is a bargain. They are £15 to £19 in 'the sheds'.
The detailed instructions are part of the packaging so do not throw the packaging away. My next recommendation is to read the instructions carefully and accurately because believe me it works if you do. It is 'setting 1' as I recall to finds your pipes and cables and it would have found my lead one exactly ( I have checked since the flood). It also finds cables accurately. The other setting simply tells you whether an electrical item is live; it does not trace live cables in the wall. In short if it does not work, you are using it wrong. I have subsequently located another pipe that I did not know existed thereby avoiding my next disaster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much maligned,but it worked well for me and saved me a lot of anxiety drilling lots of holes for shelving., 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Rapitest Wpp123 Wire/Pipe and Power Detector (DIY & Tools)
I bought it,then read the reviews.Negative to a large extent.Thought I'd bought. a turkey.However,I followed instructions of a punter who ahd used one for years,and lo,the damned thing work brilliantly.Drilled about 100+ holes,checking everyone with rapitest on no.1.Didn't try 2.It detected wiring from switch and screws.
What I did was put the switch to 1.Found what looked like a non-wired place on the wall.Switched it on,turned it up,'til the green light became red with the sound came on,then turned it down just 'til the red light went off-calibration.I then moved it over where I was going to drill,and because I was fitting shelf brackets,where the other holes would be as well.Having tested it with wires going to the light switch[the red light and sound came on],I felt secure in it finding wires,and felt safe drilling where it had 'cleared'-not gone off.
To be safer,I calibrated [above] every time.Maybe this doesn't need to be done-once it's calibrated for that work area it's done-I dont know.But it was no hastle in the light of possibly getting electrocuted.
For me this is a brilliant tool for my diy projects.Drilling into pipes or wires is a constant worry which this removes.I'm not sure about the 2 switch,and I'm not sure about the calibration frequency,but it's still a great tool for me.I'm glad to have written this review.It's seriously useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relatively accurate, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Rapitest Wpp123 Wire/Pipe and Power Detector (DIY & Tools)
I moved into a new house and used this to test for cables and pipes in the bathroom before putting up cabinets. Its best to test it first using an area you know there are pipes or cables - sockets or near radiators.

5.0 out of 5 stars In short, perfect., 19 Dec. 2013
Deckard (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rapitest Wpp123 Wire/Pipe and Power Detector (DIY & Tools)
Once again, I'm compelled to write a review on amazon because of the incredibly annoying negative reviews that to be fair, if this were more expensive, would have put me off purchasing an awesome device.

So, I will be short and sweet:
WHAT IT DOES:

1. You can detect pipes, conduits, etc behind walls. Switch on, move wheel until the alarm sound ceases, position against the wall and voila, you get a beep and a red light if it detects anything behind the wall.

2. You can detect whether a wire is LIVE. Change to the other mode by switch, move wheel until the alarm sound ceases, position against wire, and bingo you get red light and alarm if it detects live current.

WHAT IT DOESN'T DO:
1. Detect LIVE wires THROUGH walls. This is incredibly clear by virtue of the fact that it as two specific modes. - live wire detection and pipe/conduit detection through walls. It does not do both at the same time!

2. Make cappucinos

3. Detect satellites orbiting the earth

4. Beep when there's a moron close by

And that's it! Worked perfectly first time and everytime. I've traced the entire water and electricity supply around my lounge with this, which has been absolutely invaluable with some extensive re-decoration. If that's the kind of thing you want, then this is the gizmo for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied!, 15 Oct. 2012
T. W. Turner (Teesside UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rapitest Wpp123 Wire/Pipe and Power Detector (DIY & Tools)
After running my own business for nearly 15yrs in the woodworking trade, this clever little gadget did the job once again, thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm absolutely delighted I got this!, 8 April 2013
Marco Rossini "Marco" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rapitest Wpp123 Wire/Pipe and Power Detector (DIY & Tools)
Finally arrived my wire, pipe detector. Now I can start drilling the walls without worrying about drilling into power cables or water pipes. I wanted to install a glass shelf under the mirror, but the location I was going to put it wasn't a good place as this detector sounded there were electric cables behind it. So I installed it about 2 inches below that, and the detector didn't go off. I wouldn't have known that I was going to make two holes directly into the electric cables, so this fact alone would be good enough to invest a few quid for this detector. I'm very happy about this product.

Only minor criticism is that, as others also point out, although there is a switch i.e. 1 & 2, nowhere in the user's manual does it explain what it is, so I had to test it against the mains, the central heating etc, so I could find out what this small gadget was actually detecting. To be honest I'm still not sure what it does when the switch is to 2. Apart from this minor issue this is a brilliant equipment and I'm sure I'll use it more in the future.

Hope this helps and you enjoy DIY!

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems fine to me., 13 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Rapitest Wpp123 Wire/Pipe and Power Detector (DIY & Tools)
Just given it a quick test run and seems to work fine for me. I followed the instructions and can usually single out a wire going to a light switch within a couple of cm if you start to fine tune it.

The only let down is the live wire testing which seems a bit weak so you really have to make sure you go over the wire a couple of times to be safe.

My simple one line conclusion is: I can't see why this couldn't be trusted when a bit of common sense is also applied.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Great in hollow walls, worthless for concrete walls, 6 Sept. 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, 20 Jun. 2014
G. JONES - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rapitest Wpp123 Wire/Pipe and Power Detector (DIY & Tools)
I had reservations about this product based on other reviewers having problems getting it to work....

I decided to chance it, and within 30 seconds of opening it I had sussed it out. Simply set the sensitivity, then away you go. Test it somewhere you know there are cables and pipes first, then do a quick check on the area you're working with and drill your hole(s) where required.

I think some people would only be satisifed with some sort of x-ray display viewfinder!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 9 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Rapitest Wpp123 Wire/Pipe and Power Detector (DIY & Tools)
Really poor, got this off the back of these reviews on Amazon. The live wire detector works fine, but the pipe and wire detector dont seem to work at all. I t does not pick up anything, i'm pretty sure that a switch in the middle of the wall has some cables going to it, it turns a light off and not and i'm sure its not magic, does this thing pick the cables up. NO. Its rubbish.