5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly JB's finest effort., 13 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Pretender (Audio CD)
This was the first Jackson Browne album I bought,having seen him on an "Old Grey Whistle Test" concert special, and it remains (probably) my favourite,for several reasons. First of all,the production by Jon Landau. It represents a much harder sound than he had created on previous albums, and the folkesy intimacy of these was definitely absent. Some fans will have found this to seem a sell-out to mainstream,radio-friendly AOR, but I don't think the result represents any sort of compromise;merely a more "produced" record, where the arrangements never take over from the songs themselves,which were so strong that a heavy-handed production would have hidden the quality of the set. I believe that,even with the simpler production qualities of the earlier records,"The Pretender" would still have been Jackson Browne's finest and most unified body of work to that date. It's pointless to mention individual tracks, as I honestly couldn't pick one over others on this LP. This is simply a superbly crafted album, and for me represents a flawless achievement and a hugely satisfying musical and lyrical experience,as moving as it is exhilarating and profound. The personal tragedy which formed the backdrop to the making of this record undoubtedly pervades the songs, but there is no tendency to self-indulgent introspection. The writer simply asks the same questions that we all,at some point find ourselves asking...usually late at night, which is my favourite time for listening to this record.One of my all-time favourites,without a doubt,by the greatest singer-songwriter of his generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 20th Century Classic, 30 May 2009
This review is from: The Pretender (International Release) (Audio CD)
I recently took my son to see Jackson Browne playing at the Royal Albert Hall. Beforehand, this was one of four CD's I ordered to refresh my memories. The mellow, easy listening sound generated by this most gifted musician doesn't sound dated in the 21st century.... in fact, it sounds even better than I remembered. Find a quiet space where you can listen to it without interruption. You'll be transported somewhere else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jackson's finest hour, 14 May 2004
This review is from: The Pretender (Audio CD)
Often called (with respect to "Late for the Sky") Jackson's second-best effort, I beg to differ. Assembled in the aftermath of his partner's suicide, this album contains moments of raw emotion that will make the hairs rise on the back of your neck. Sidesman David Lindley plays a wailing steel guitar, and the album also features vignettes from Bonnie Raitt and the sadly-missed Lowell George. The closing track, The Pretender, is an absolute classic. If you get the chance to hear him in concert, call out for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Masterpiece, 12 Nov 2007
R. Deighton (Leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pretender (International Release) (Audio CD)
Released shortly after his first wifes suicide this dark masterpiece is tinged with genius and sadness. A self examination of a man who sounds to me to be at breaking point. It kicks off with "The Fuse", an embittered prayer reminding us of the fragility of life and what lies ahead. Followed by the hollow optimism of your bright baby blues, we are soon back to rock bottom with "Here come those tears again", co-written by his first wife's mother a model of how to exercise grief. Move quickly through the "only child" and "Daddy's Tune" to "Sleeps Dark and Silent Gate" which sails magnificently on to the title track "The Pretender"back from the depths to some hope and optimism. I love this album, however, when ever I play it, my life's not where I wish it was, but its the best album to help drag you out of the hopelessness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Pretender, 2 Jan 2010
R. Morgan (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pretender (International Release) (Audio CD)
One thing he ain't is a Pretender - he is the real deal and this is a masterpiece of an album. If the title track doesn't move you to tears you should get yourself checked out somewhere. If you are a true music lover you will love this. 5 stars doesn't seem anywhere near enough. Not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Browne's Sgt peppers, 23 Nov 2006
L. SOUTHGATE - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pretender (International Release) (Audio CD)
My favorite jackson Browne album is I'm alive but i fully recognise this as Jackson Browne at his pinacle. thIS was one of the first albums i ever bought for myself. My dad used to force feed me this album as i was growing up i think mainly becasue he was a massive Little Feat fan , Lowell George plays with Browne on 'your bright baby blues.' This track does have to be one of the best on the album - . Jackson has to be one of the best lyricists ever as he has an extroadinary talent of relating ecxactly how he feels in such a poetic way. ONe line that particularly stays with me is when he is talking about drug addiction -

That feeling of peace

This friend of mine said

"Close your eyes, and try a few of these"

I thought I flying like a bird

So far above my sorrow

But when I looked down

I was standing on my knees

Now I need someone to help me

Someone to help me please

However this album doesn't not just boast beautiful lyrics but awesome melodies, harmonies and arrangements. THe stunning use of the harp on Linda Paloma, the superb title track Pretender and the haunting 'Sleeps dark and silent gate' are amongst other highlights. THis album does not have a bad track on it and boasts excellent longevity as you will discovering new beauty with every listen. THis album has carried me through some hard and good times and now is the musical version of a big loving hug.

Please give this one a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretender Classic, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Pretender (International Release) (Audio CD)
Great album to own - endless plays show it as a timeless classic. I've been listening to Jackson Browne since a teenager and never tire of his immaculate voice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, cool and wonderfully tuneful!, 16 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Pretender (Audio CD)
If you like nice melodies and lyrics that actually mean something, then this album is a must! Although the lyrics are somewhat depressing at times, I find the tunes amazingly uplifting. From the relaxing "Sleeps dark and silent gate" to the spanish style "Linda Paloma"- Every single song is wonderful and very different. Plus Jackson Browne has the smoothest, most fantastic singing voice ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars last of his great albums, 15 July 2014
This review is from: The Pretender (International Release) (Audio CD)
Jackson Browne made a series of great albums during the first half of the seventies . This is the last great one before the preaching started . Brilliantly produced by Jon Landau , it stands as a prime example of the extraordinary stuff which seemed to flow from Californian studios in those days . Every song is a gem and he sings them beautifully . The West Coast seemed to have a golden generation of session men who could produce immaculate sounds at the drop of a hat . Sit between your speakers and marvel at the guitars of of Fred Tackett and Waddy Wachtel coming at you from the left and right respectively on Daddy's Tune. Probably not as good as Running On Empty but you can barely squeeze a bus ticket between them .

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Album, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Pretender (International Release) (Audio CD)
This album is a masterpiece of American folk rock music. A must for every follower of this genre of music.

The Pretender (International Release)
The Pretender (International Release) by Jackson Browne (Audio CD - 2004)