Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 February 2006
Reading the other reviews of this album I guess people fall into two camps. Those who hated the comercialised, over orchestrated, no piano, souless offering that was 'Look of Love' will love this tighter, more minimal, altogether more satisfying offering. Those who liked having Ms Krall's sexy alto voice swamped with swirling violins will probably hate this album. Even the album photography distinguishes itself from the aforementioned aberation, no strappy stilletos and short skirts here! It would seem that record label executives have finally worked out who she is; a musician not a pop diva.
I cannot express how glad I was to hear this album, with tight stark arrangements of piano, bass and drums occassionally joined by other instruments. Her takes on some "non-jazz" material are refreshing and very enjoyable, and the original material already sounds like classics.
More of the same please!
on 29 May 2005
I cannot understand how anybody can give this album one star. Even if the songs and the mix are not to your taste it is inconceivable that it only warrants one star. I have almost all of DK's albums and can honestly say this is one of the most evocative, mood conjuring albums you are likely to come across.
How anybody can fail to appreciate, for instance, the mind blowing Narrow Daylight is beyond me.
For anybody who is wondering whether to buy this, ignore the critics - don't hesitate - it is simply brilliant.
on 26 April 2004
"The girl in the other room" is Diana Krall's "Unplugged" or"Stripped"-album. After the honeysuckle-sweet last albums, which wereflattered by big band arrangements the beautiful Canadian pianist hasworked her way back to the roots. Working with a comparativelyminimalistic band (hammond-organ, guitar, drums, bass and herself at thepiano), she wrote most of the songs either herself or in collaborationwith her husband Elvis Costello this time. And this is exactly thestrength and power of this CD: the new songs are full of poetic momentsand say what's got to be said in a nutshell. There is no longer a wholeorchestra between the lyrics and the music, but Diana ist much moreimmediate, much more personal than ever before. The influence of theingenuous songwriter Costello can be noticed and yet the songs are a 100%Diana Krall's songs and of course it is still jazz trickling from thespeakers, but it is jazz that has found ist roots again. "The girl in theother room", this is also the "other" Diana Krall who now sings her songsat the piano without make-up and without polish. Titles such as "I'vechanged my address" or "Abandoned Masquerades" reflect on this.
A greatachievement of the couple Krall/MacManus - which is by the way Costello'sreal name - and funnily enough the main creadits on the sleeve go to a MrDeclan MacManus. To redefine yourself in such a cinvincing manner at thepeak of your career - that is truly amazing and deserves the highestpraise.
My personal favourites: "Narrow daylights", "Almost Blue" and"Departure Bay".
on 4 May 2004
It's obviously a good thing that we all have different tastes, but I sometimes wonder whether we've listened to the same album (meaning the disparaging reviews elsewhere on this page).
It seems to me that this album moves Ms Krall determinedly forward; I've enjoyed her previous works, and her re-interpretations of the "standards" have been new, fresh and invigorating; however, it seems to me that fundamentally, re-hashing songs that so many artists have covered before is ultimately a bit of a cul-de-sac.
This album is a very effective bridge; it combines new material co-written by Krall & Costello with a selection of covers of other composer's songs - less well known than in the past, but very well chosen. (Incidentally, the fabulous cover of Mose Allinson's "Stop this World" is hardly - to answer another reviewer's criticism - contemporary). Stand out tracks for me are the version of Joni Mitchell's "Black Crow" (from the "Hejira" album), and the beautiful self-penned "Narrow Daylight" - which is currently getting a lot of radio airplay as a single.
The sound of the record is unmistakeably Krall; yes she's extended the instrumentation from her traditional trio, with the addition of percussion more or less throughout, and some occasional Hammond organ, but the overwhelming sounds are those of her voice and piano. Consequently, it seems to me that stylistically this excellent performance happily and consciously links backwards to the sounds of her previous work, but stretches forward with the less obvious covers, and the introduction of her own material.
Altogether, very enjoyable and much recommended. Why not 5 stars? Having made the connection with Joni Mitchell's masterwork, it can't measure up to that pinnacle.
on 5 June 2006
I'm a huge fan of DK and I love her treatments of the great jazz ballads but I was ready for something new. I didn't know what to make of this album initially but by the third listening I knew it was going to be one I couldn't live without.

I love singers in their own words; they seem to have a special power and whilst the covers on here are great it's the new songs that stay with you - and stay with you - especially Departure Bay. One of my top ten all time albums.
on 27 April 2004
I always thought that Diana Krall was nice to listen to, but with nothingextra that made me buy any records of her. That was until I saw and heardher Live in Paris DVD, where the Canadian singer stepped out from theformer slick and almost icy approach and delivered that extra. Suddenlyyou could feel the warmth in her voice, her ultra sensual charisma camethrough with full force - I was hooked. Still feel though that her albumsare too polished for my taste, I stick with the fantastic live DVD.
Now Mrs Krall has made a studio album that connects to the feeling on theLive DVD. The musical setting is much more intimate than on her previousalbums. Basically you have one tight band, where the two most impressivemusicians to my ears are Anthony Wilson on guitar and Christian McBride onbass. Diana Krall herself sings like a goddess and plays a very goodpiano. The songs are a mix of jazz, blues and pop, with a more rootsyfeeling than her usual repertoire. There are also a mixture of covers andoriginal songs. The originals are all written by Diana Krall and ElvisCostello, though Costello has only contributed to the music on themajestic title track, otherwise he has stuck to the words. There is anatural flow to the song sequence on the album and the originals stand upvery good to the covers.
There are in my opinion no weak songs on the album, and my favourites(today) are the title track (Krall/Costello) and Temptation (TomWaits).
Audiowise the album is very good recorded and produced.
Highly recommendable!!
on 7 January 2005
This album certainly seems to split the Diana Krall fans into two camps and I am firmly in the camp that considers this to be as good, or better, than anything she has previously released. One criticism that could be levelled against some of her previous albums is that they are a little repetitive but not this one. It's full of variety, great productions and fantastic old and new songs. If this is what we can expect from Diana's collaboration with her husband, Elvis Costello, I, for one, can't wait to hear more. I have all of Diana's albums, like some of them and love the others, but this is top of the pile!
The Girl in the Other Room is a marvellous new album from my favourite artist of the 21st century (so far). All her other other albums show her brilliant talent at original arrangements of classics; this album show originality not just of arrangement but of composition, style, and, most important, something new and dynamic in the now overworked jazz classic works. A wonderful addition for any Diana Krall lover.
You might need time to get used to some of the new tracks as there are some great new ideas and differences from her usual style, but the music grows on you very quickly. Not to be missed.
on 6 November 2004
Well, I beg to differ. This is an album, where Diana Krall proves she's a fine artist, able to sing her own (and Elvis Costello's), Joni Mitchell's and Tom Waits' (!!!) songs. This is NOT mainstream. This is the opposite of mainstream - not all sweet, classic jazz love songs (as much as they may be charming), but mature, professionally performed gems.
on 1 September 2004
This album is beautiful. Its the only Diana Krall album I own and for good reason. There are many bad reviews listed here and I cant really see why, I have listened to the previous albums but have never been inspired by them, I got the impression that she was just another jazz singer that didnt really have anything different to offer. I have always found the production over-blown and over stated yet this recording is simple and honest and lets Ms Kralls true talents shine. She has a beautiful rich voice and the album has a similar feel to Norah Jones most recent album but i think it is better and offers more, enjoy!