Format: DVD|Change

on 7 June 2007
Bertha was one of my favourite cartoons when I was little. Was great to find the DVD of it. Just such a shame there's not more episodes on it. I think there were only 13 or so episodes anyway so it wouldn't be difficult to put them all together.

Basically a fab little bit of nostalgia, but I just wish that it had been the complete set.
on 29 August 2006
Excellent old series, with great characters and a catchy theme which made up for the fact that is had the dullest premise for an animated series ever. A Factory. You thought a Postman Pat and Gran might be dull think of the adventures you could have on a production line!

But good old Roy Kinnear, one of England's best comedy actors lending his voice to some fun and friendly characters.

However the dark side of this DVD is the miniscule amount of material. I got Ivor the Engine Complete Series, Complete Bod, Complete Trumpton, Complete Everything! Except all old Bertha gets is 4 random episodes.

Not nearly enough to get my son into the series. And thank god he didn't because I wouldn't want to get stuck watching the same 4 episodes time and time again.

Good show, reasonable quality, awful quantity.
on 27 July 2008
My kids loved this show and they still do. Actually, I like it a lot too. The setting is limited, but the characters are brilliantly portraid. Even though the main storyline is usally very simple, there are a lot of little sideshows that make the whole thing life-like. I'd give 5 stars to the content of the DVD.

It's a real pity that the DVD has only 4 episodes on it. If you watched Bertha with your kids (or without them :-) on TV, then you will not be satisfied with this DVD. Unfortunately, when you look for Bertha 2, Bertha 3 and so on you will not find them.
These 4 episodes is all you can have. So, only 1 star for the amount of content.
Bertha, lovely Bertha, You are a lovely machine!

Seems strange how you can love a kids TV show that is based in a factory, but somehow it just works. Unfortunately you do not get the full series in this set like you do with the others (like Ivor The Engine) which is a shame, but it doesn't take away from the pure enjoyment you get with these 4 episodes.

The episodes are: The Great Painting Job, The Windmills, Mouse In The Works, The Best Machine Competition making the DVD last just under 1 hour long. Unfortunately there is no subtitles on this set too, but to most of us that is really not a problem & did not effect the enjoyment we had.
on 16 January 2008
I loved Bertha as a kid and this DVD brings back all those happy memories. Though the occasional song can be a bit irritating and the pace is a little slow, this is one of my favourite DVDs. My only complaint is that either more episodes should've been added or a second volume should be released....
on 13 June 2000
This brings back such great memories! It is soo nostalgic to watch these episodes again! It prompted me to buy more of my childhood memories- Dangermouse, Raggy Dolls etc! You have to see the 'Great Painting Job' episode with the T.O.M. song- Talk Operated Machine!
on 28 June 2009
Pros - 4 episodes of one of my favorite shows growing up

Cons - Poor image quality

Loved the fact I got 4 of my favorite childhood shows on 1 DVD...but it shows that the master copies have deteriorated over time. One of the episodes is out of focus and all episodes are dirty. Not much effort went into video cleanup. Audio sounds great though!
on 21 August 2014
Our grand-daughter loves it. She used to want to watch Disney's Cars, but once we put this on she regularly insists on 'let's watch Bertha'. We used to watch this program with our own children, and they used to like it, so I was really pleased to find it available on DVD. Pity that all the episodes aren't available on DVD, or I'd buy those as well.
on 22 February 2010
It's wonderful to be able to see this brilliant animation again. It's a shame that only four episodes are available, but they did pick good ones. This DVD has an annoyingly long compulsory trailer at the start, but is great otherwise.
on 30 May 2014
Never as good as you remember as a child growing up In the 80s but nonetheless still a nice kids programme and our 3 year old loves it. Picture quality not so good on a big plasma TV but for price a nice piece of nostalgia