‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching allegorical tale, 2 May 2006
Joseph Hillier (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is genius!

I remember it from when I were a lad, and if anything its even better now (although I have also watched it with my girlfriend's 3 year old nephew and he loved it). It runs like a morality play, with Terry Wogan some sort of Jehova figure in the background. I could go on about this for hours, but here are my favourite characters.

-Stoppit is a kind of A.D.H.D blob monster, who is very naughty and is summarily punished when bad. When he is angry and complaining (almost all of the time), Tidyup bounces him on the floor until he is quiet (this is reminiscent of my own childhood experiences with my sibling). Just in case you think that being naughty is cool, Stoppit is shown living in a rubbish dump. Obviously a shell of a man, unable to get work. He reminds me a bit of Cartman down on his luck.

-Tidyup seems to suffer from a form of Tourette's syndrome as he constantly screams at quite innappropriate times. He is the glue that holds the stories together. Despite his difficulties, everyone likes him because he is honest and decent. What a triumph for the human spirit!

-Go-to-bed is the living embodiment of a Monday morning. He is always tired probably because he is partying too hard the night before all the time. But he is never allowed to sleep. In this way we learn that those who over-indulge will never find their rest, or the release that they are looking for. Go-to-bed is, for me, the best but most tragic character.

-Go-and-play is a little scary, and seems to be the Prometheus of the story. He looks like he is older than the rest of the gang, and yet all he does is play with his toys on his rock. And try to start games of football. All the time he wears only a wierd shorts and shoes n' socks ensemble, never a shirt. He has piercing black eyes. He is not the kind of person I would let any kid play with. Which is probably why he's all alone on his rock-hill-thing. He has clearly been set there as a sort of ironic punishment -- he likes to play with people, but has misbehaved, and so is set on his rock WITH ALL THE TOYS IN THE WORLD BUT NO FRIENDS! All it needs is for an eagle to tear at his sides and we have a Greek legend.

-Clean-your-teeth is the rich () character of the bunch. He looks like Elvis Presley would if you were on acid. Since he is always scarily, uncompromisingly happy and owns a swimming pool when his neighbours potter about in their own filth in the dump eating nothing but gherkins, I remain unconvinced he is not a representation of a Colombian drugs lord. Tidyup makes him pay for this crime by smashing up his pool: Good lad!

As an atheist, I have based my entire ethical framework for my life on this cartoon, and it seems to have done some good. Bless the makers of this DVD for reminding me how good things were! It is suitable for kids, and enjoyable for the adults watching with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest of the Funny !!!, 19 April 2004
This review is from: Stoppit And Tidyup [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
This series was a one-off wonder.
Terry Wogan guides us merrily through this series with all the hilarious adventures of Stoppit and Tidyup. I watched this series as a kid, and I've been waiting for it to be released (although thinking it probably never would) !! Alas ! My prayers have been answered !! A crate of lager and 5 of my mates around to laugh at the hilarious foghorn noises stoppit makes when excited, or the way the big bad I said no reacts to getting punched. This series was pure genius !! BRING IT BACK !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars HILARIOUS!!!, 20 Jan 2006
A. Jennings "anjirocks" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stoppit And Tidyup [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
I had never seen this show before but my boyfriend remembered it plus we like random things so we decided to buy the DVD. It has to be one of the best children's programmes ever! I am 19 and my boyfriend is 25 but we absolutely loved this. The characters are so original and funny and the names (for example the land of do-as-you're-told) are satirical and allow parents to laugh at themselves. Terry Wogan's narration is also hilarious with the little comments he randomly adds. i can't believe they don't still show this.

4.0 out of 5 stars I said NO!!!, 26 Oct 2004
This review is from: Stoppit And Tidyup [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
This was supposed to be a Christmas present for a friend of mine... but I kept it! Terry Wogan as the narrator really brings Stoppit and Tidyup to life - as well as Tidyup's many colourful ties! Buy this if you want to regress to being seven years old. Me and my dad watched in giggles as Wash your Face kept splashing Tidyup's freshly laundered ties with mud and the way Stoppit becomes a ball of red fluff with flailing arms when he runs. I love Stoppit and Tidyup - now I can force friends and family to love them too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Buy Buy! Classic Comedy!, 16 July 2004
This review is from: Stoppit And Tidyup [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
A must have for anyone raised in the 80's! Terry Wogan's storytelling was so innocent back then, but looking back now, seem's slightly sinister, though it wouldn't be the same without him. You will be repeating the catchphrases for weeks afterwards! I'd recommend it to anyone who saw it originally, even if you didn't enjoy it-it's so much funnier now! A total bargain for somthing so hilariously funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY THE BEST CHILDRENS PROGRAMME EVER MADE, 1 April 2007
This review is from: Stoppit And Tidyup [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
Whatever your age, if you like animation comedy you simply must try Stoppit and Tidyup.

This will keep any child entertained for hours, and it doesn't have the annoying habit of trying to sneak in education like many other kid's programmes. It's just a bit of fun. Simply the best childrens programme ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a brilliant idea for a childrens program!!!!!!!, 31 July 2003
By A Customer
this is so good,, what more can i say. modern childrens tv is awful disgusting and stupid. this is a classic

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Kids DVD and Terry Wogan - What a Legend!, 29 Nov 2010
This review is from: Stoppit And Tidyup [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
This is a fantastic Kids DVD - they don't make them like this anymore! Being narrated by Terry Wogan gives it extra charm and the fun characters make great sounds on their adventures whilst sharing simple morals along the way. I have bought this twice now it's that good (someone I leant my first copy to must have loved it as well, as I never got it back!) and is a must for any child of the 80s, plus I will some day enjoy letting my kids watch it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Winner, 19 July 2010
RozziD "Rose" (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stoppit And Tidyup [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
I bought this for my partner's son as I have very fond memories of the stories from my childhood. It appears that, although the animation is very basic by today's standards, that these loveable little characters are still a big hit with todays youngsters. He sat and watched the whole DVD from start to finish (no mean feat for a very active 4 year old). With narration by Terry Wogan - I think this title will be a hit for many years to come - certainly in out house anyway!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A funny cartoon, for adults and children, 2 Nov 2003
This program is little known now. I remember watching it as a child and absolutely loving it. It's brilliant! The two bizarre characters, Stoppit and Tidyup are best friends, living in the land of 'Do as you're told', which they share with other characters like 'Go and Play', 'Brush your teeth' and 'The big bad i said no!'. It is very funny and topped off with great narration from a little-known Irishman called Terry Wogan. Watch it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Stoppit And Tidyup [DVD] [1988]
Stoppit And Tidyup [DVD] [1988] by Terry Wogan (DVD - 2004)
5.63