5.0 out of 5 stars My 2 Year Old's Favourite
Published on 8 May 2004 by Dr Red

2.0 out of 5 stars No classic number :-(
If you collect the disney classics don't buy this dvd as it has no number on the spine very disappointed as it doesn't state this in the description
Published 5 months ago by Carly hussey

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2 Year Old's Favourite, 8 May 2004
This review is from: Brother Bear [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I took my then 21 month old daughter to see this film. She didn't last twenty minutes in Nemo (and has, at 25 months, yet to sit through the whole DVD) but she LOVED Brother Bear. I think it was the 'realness' of the animals (which, like in Lion King, move like the real species) combined with action right from the beginning. There's also a wonderful sense of place and being outdoors - you can almost smell the pine trees. She loved the story of a boy who turns into a bear and back and back again. Every time we passed the cinema, she dragged me back to the poster and when my U.S.-based mother brought her a Brother Bear book, she adored it. Daddy and I liked the film, too. I've never been a Phil Collins fan, but 'On My Way' was a good tune and the story was very strong and very well animated. I especially like how the film introduces very young children to another culture and way of looking at the world (without the preachiness of Pocohontas). I'm looking forward to seeing it two or three hundred times in the next months!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, an instant classic!, 6 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Brother Bear [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I loved this film. I was surprised that it was somehow given so many bad reviews, and why it was shunned by the box office. This film has a heartwarming and feel good sense to it, and a great performance by Joaquin Phoenix as Kenai, the hunter who kills a bear, only to get turned into one himself. The two dim-witted moose are also very funny and unforgettable. Brother Bear borrows some of its contents from other animated films, but most of the time it manages to get away with it very well. When Kenai gets turned into a bear, he must find a way to get to the mountains where the lights touch the Earth, staying by the side of a lonely bear cub called Koda. During his voyage he learns that Koda is alone and that Kenai will have to keep with him throughout his whole journey. This technique of being there for others has a similar feeling that was previously featured in Finding Nemo and Lilo and Stitch. The only differences are that it doesn't work as well as it did with Lilo and Stitch, but for me, no other Disney film of any style can better it, and whereas Lilo and Stitch focused its winning charm on family, Brother Bear's is on brotherhood.
One thing has been improved though. Like Tarzan this has a soundtrack boasting with five new songs from music legend Phil Collins, which come better than the ones featured in Tarzan, so there's one good side to it. The only bad area was probably the repeat use of a herd of charging stampede, ruining The Lion King's pride of originality. The plot sounds like it rips off the Emperor's New Groove, but overall it makes the film much better and much more mature.
To end this review, Brother Bear is a great film for the whole family, with it being funny and touching, exactly the same things that made Lilo and Stitch the excellent franchise it is. Compared with that, Brother Bear probably won't become a well-loved Disney classic, but still a classic nonetheless, and a must-have on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Film for Children and Adults, 25 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
I went to see this film with my daughters, aged 4 & 7. They both thoroughly enjoyed it - it was (in the words of the eldest) "one of the best cinema films ever" ! It is beautifully made with likeable characters and a story line that moves along at a good pace and keeps up the interest of even the most fidgety 4-year old. It was also genuinely funny and made us all laugh. It's a real shame that this film was overshadowed by Nemo as it was, in our opinions, every bit as good and just as well worth seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother Bear a must have movie, 14 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Brother Bear [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
having seen this film over 7 times at the cinema with my little brother i cant wait to get him the dvd. Its a film which i like to see time and again with its heartwarming characters, the lovable bear cub Koda and the boy who was transformed into a bear by his dead brother Kenai. He has to learn some of lifes valuble lessons wilst traveling with Koda to the salmon run a meeting place for all bears. whilst suffering being hunted and riding round on wooly mamoths. this film is a must and i know that what i say just doesnt do it justice. the songs perfomed Phill Collins has brought a tear to my eye somthing which is actually very hard to do! my favorite song in the film has to be Ime on my way!

2.0 out of 5 stars No classic number :-(, 26 Jan. 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Great art, great story!, 27 July 2004
This review is from: Brother Bear [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
We loved this movie! It has now become one of our favorite Disney animated features. The special features on DVD are excellent if you are interested in how the movie was made. If you have children, there are a couple of Brother Bear games that are actually quite enjoyable (even for the adult person).
We think it is an inspiring story and a revelation in animation and art-work. Buy this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars " This is how heaven really is..", 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Brother Bear [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Having owned and watched at some point the majority of Disney movies including the straight to dvds ones - many times over, BrotherBear is certainly a classic worthy of repeated views and easily up there with Tazan,LionKing, Aladdin..no quesion.

Age range..well..any child nearing 5 upwards..and honestly for every age group over that. Honest.

It is a beautiful film, with a beautiful original message at it's heart. Add to the - love him or loathe him - Phil Collins mastery soundtrack work. In fact it's a shame Tina Turner sung his opener and also 'Look into my Eyes' is virtually lost in the movie ( arriving end of the credits ). Sterling work..the transformation sequence, including Phils drumns and vocals/chants...really are stunning.

Grown up themes at times..but my nearing 5 daughter said to me, I really believe this is what happens when you go to heaven. And thats good enough for me. The spirits in the sky..transforming...beautiful. And so much better than dreary notions of churchs and hymns which - sadly - schools drums into kids.

The dvd itself is excellent value..plenty of behind the scenes snippets, makings of, deleted scenes...a shame actually some of them didnt make the movie. Could be wrong, but i seem to recall the movie having a slightly troubled history - two directors etc etc..perhaps this shows...I do feel Phil Collins music could of been used more.

No hesitation - a must-buy from me. Again, kids under 4/5 probably not..the just won't get it..and sit through some of the earlier..slightly adult..themes...but for everyone else..enjoy.

Unlike a few - this one really is worthy of being called a Disney Classic. ( You'll cry your heart out near the end btw!!!..but don't worry tears will of dried up as the credits roll. )

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny yet touching, 11 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Brother Bear [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Brother Bear is a wonderful animation - it isn't violent and it has the right balance between comedy and drama. The storyline is engaging and the characters and some of the cameos in this film are hysterical. This is a film for all the family and it is a truly wonderful children's animation combined with Phil Collins' musicianship that brings the film to life. Highly enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars For older children, 18 May 2004
J. A. Swan "julfull" (sutton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother Bear [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
It was a nice film and I thoroughly enjoyed it but I am over 35. My six year old lost interest at the beginning but came back to watch it later.It really wasn't for small children because it is slow and they seem to need action. Saying that the older kids mostly liked it. I reccommend it to everyone that loves Disney.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray transfer perfection for Brother Bear, 16 April 2013
To see again films like Tarzan, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King released onto blu ray, brings back the enthusiasm I developed for animated films. However, maybe it is the transferring into HD, but sometimes I am aware of the pixels which make up the fine lines and the drawings feel crude and this breaks the awe I once had for them. Maybe I am older and the drawings are not nearly as impressive as they used too seem but that isn't to say they are not still entertaining films, they are but they do feel smaller now because our eyes have been stretched to new limits with computer animations. Disney's new film this Christmas "Frozen" is half way between hand drawn animation and 3D computer animations, we had a taster with "Paperman" this year (a short animation with the Wreck it Ralph release), so Frozen looks to embody the visual edge we desire from hand drawn animations while providing hopefully a richness found in painted illustrations. The Brother Bear HD release is excellent, the best release on to blu ray yet, the landscapes are impressive and the drawing standard was probably the highest achieved at the time. The Brother Bear special features are the same as before and still refreshing additions. Out of all the above mentioned, Brother Bear is the most attractive as a blu ray release because it's character drawings are still so impressive. I have enjoyed watching more the older Disney animations, these are probably the finest animated films made, 101 Dalmatians, The Rescuers and I am looking forward to seeing The Jungle Book again on blu ray, the drawings just have an edge and a richness in line that is satisfying to watch, they still feel messy, whereas the 90's animations were very clean and I think, personally, I want to see the animators drawings as they were, with all the scratchy lines adding to the movements, but that is just my personal taste. So, are these blu rays worth the money? Brother Bear was defiantly, considering we all have these titles on DVD, all of them are pleasing to revisit on blu ray. I would say collect them but personally if you want to enjoy truly great animated films, look to the older Disney films, like The Sword in the Stone or Sleeping Beauty, everything about them feels like real hand crafted magic and the time they came from adds to this wonder. I hope Disney have done a good job transferring The Little Mermaid onto blu ray, that comes out at the end of the year and though it is a little embarrassing to admit, that film was my first magical Disney experience at the cinema and it was inspiring subject matter, perfect for animation, lets hope it lives up to our memories.

Brother Bear [DVD] [2003]
Brother Bear [DVD] [2003] by Robert Walker (DVD - 2004)