5.0 out of 5 stars Another side to the Bjork puzzle
I have been a fan of Bjork for aroun 8 years and really love and enjoy her music. I have to say that Vespertine is, for me, her best album! Admittedly it is a little difficult upon first hearing but that is only because you haven't heard the like of it before - not from Bjork or any other artist for that. It is very honest and intimate. You would almost think it a...
Published on 5 Sep 2001 by sevenjk_uk@yahoo.co.uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry! Vespertine sucks.
I really love Bjorks previous music, the soundtrack was beautifull. Vespertine is hard work to listen to. Not in a punk way just awkward, the Beta Band have done this style with so much focus. All the songs on this album are lacking the confidence she usually has, hiding behind fashionable production techniques is not the answer. Buy her previous albums, they are...
Published on 3 July 2001 by daniel_crake@hotmail.com

1.0 out of 5 stars missing poetry!, 4 Aug 2001
This review is from: VESPERTINE (Audio CD)
I am really dissapointed by this album, all the lyrical poetry that is associated with Bjorks songs are missing. The backing is soo overproduced it's really hard to take it seriously. It's awfull when you're favourite artist seems to believes their own hype, I hope she pandours less to the magazines on her next album...listen to any of her other albums and you'll know what I mean...

1.0 out of 5 stars Music 4 Wasps, 11 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: VESPERTINE (Audio CD)
'Vespertine is a mix of fluttering rhythms, sweet choir boys and Bjork at her most intimate'. This is all I was hoping for. To be brutal, Vespertine is a mix of awkward rhythms, twee choirs and Bjork at her most testing. The first half of the album is far too demanding. Bjork has written some beautifull songs in the past which truly deserve adoration but all these 'songs' are more like spoken word over new age pseudo-relaxation music. I tried to submit to the music but the rhythms annoy like an insistant wasp. The lyrics are very flat with little flair this time, I don't know whether to put this down to her longtime writing partner 'Sjon' not being a part of the process or this is a new phase? Some of the music is beautifully orchestrated but is lost in the midst of this soon to be dated production.
I'm sorry to be so harsh, I understand It's hard to re-invent your image and musical direction with each effort, give me 'Debut' or 'Homogenic' anytime.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good album but too minamilistic, 10 Aug 2009
Mr. Ms. Tait - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vespertine (Audio CD)
this was the first Bjork album I bought and liked the ethereal sound of it, but this is far from Bjorks best work I think when you compare it to her previous albums which had more of a punch. Bjork had already exsperimented with minamilist electronic sounds on Homogenic and you get a better listening of her vocal talents which seem subdued on Vespertine as is the music which gets frustrating and boring after a while.

2.0 out of 5 stars More of the same from Bjork - such a pity, 23 Sep 2001
This review is from: Vespertine (Audio CD)
Despite Bjork telling the world some time ago that she hated her first three albums she has lost the opportunity to do anything about it. Vespertine is more of the same old stuff, just like she has produced before. Only this time there is not one track that stands out above the rest. I was hoping that she would make a change this time round, even if it was for the worse, but sadly it is not even that interesting. Although there is nothing horrible about any of the tracks, I can't help feeling it is a collection of out-takes from the first three albums. Unless you are a keen fan and have to have all of her stuff then buy something else.

2.0 out of 5 stars Still dancing in the dark, 9 Oct 2001
This review is from: Vespertine (Audio CD)
Although I know I should like this new album, well I just can't! Bjork is clearly still "dancing in the dark" (though Selmassongs was better than this new project) and I just can't erase the feeling that Bjork did this record just for herself and she doesn't care if we want to listen!

Vespertine
Vespertine by Björk (Audio CD - 2004)
Click for more info