5.0 out of 5 stars H.I.M Def.Pleasure for the mind, body and spirit
I was walking around a music store in Leeds and I kept coming across H.I.M cds.
Published on 13 May 2004 by Razor Queen(Witch Hunter)

3.0 out of 5 stars No Point
For a fan of HIM, theres no point in buying this compilation, even with the addition of mediocre tracks And Love Said No and Solitery Man. The band seem to be loosing their creativity with these tracks, and stand out like sore thumbs among their other 5 star hits. Only time will tell on how this collection will sirvive, and maybe it will introduce a new generation to HIM...
Published on 30 Aug 2006 by Joel Minter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars H.I.M Def.Pleasure for the mind, body and spirit, 13 May 2004
This review is from: And Love Said No... The Best of HIM 1997-2004 [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I was walking around a music store in Leeds and I kept coming across H.I.M cds.
There were about 5 dotted all over the shop, one of them being 'greatest hits: And love Said No'. I'm normally into metal bands like Deftones, Marilyn Manson and KoRn (I know what your thinking), but somehow the front cover of this album caught my eye, I had absolutely no clue as to what it sounded like.
The other H.I.M album covers looked kinda corny, so I was too embarrassed to buy it (gotta keep my image up!). Anyway it kept annoying me for ages, something about it intrigued me, and finally I reconsidered the cover and bought the cd.
I have listened to it every day since and have completely fallen in love with the lead singers voice (ville valo). It is pure love metal, and all of the songs are about the joy and sorrows of love. The lyrics are impeccable, and even though some are quite sad, listening to them always leaves me with a sense of elation. The song craftsmanship is excellent and no matter where I am or what I'm doing (cleaning, homework, on the bus), listening to this cd put me in high spirits and makes me feel energetic and mentally motivated.
The cd itself is quite varied with no songs sounding similar so it can be put on repeat and it doesn't get boring. The best songs on this cd are The Funeral Of Hearts, Wicked Game, The Sacrament and Solitary Man but my personal favourite songs are: And Love Said No, Join Me, Buried Alive By Love, Right Here In My Arms, It's All Tears and When Love and Death Embrace. Each song sets a mood and there is something here for almost everyone.
By this cd with no expectation, you will be happily surprised! Even if you're a moody mosher, trust me, this will make you feel warm and fuzzy, honest!!!. Well for somebody that listens to depressing rock and nu/industrial/death metal and is always miserable it sure worked on me!!!
Ja ne! (See ya!)
Rachel

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant introduction..., 31 Mar 2006
...to one of the finest European bands out there. This was the first release from HIM that I bought, after hearing 'The Funeral of Hearts' on the radio; after the first listen of this, I was hooked!! Since then I've bought the rest of the albums, and can honestly say that 'And Love Said No...' really does show off some of their best material.
Despite being covers, 'Solitary Man' and especially 'Wicked Game' stand out as two of the finest tracks on the album. With some heavier and some more melodic tracks, there's something for everyone. The individual playing skills of Linde, Mige, Gas and Burton are brilliant, put together more so and as for Ville Valo's voice; well, it's simply gorgeous.
For anyone interested in the band this is a fantastic introduction to their back catalogue. Still not having watched the whole of the additional DVD, I can't really comment on that part of the album, however, the live renditions of 'Beyond Redmption' and 'Sweet Pandemonium' were excellent. If you liked this, you'll love the rest.
However, while this album definitely showcases some of HIM's best material, it doesn't contain them at their *very* best. - - why no 'Razorblade Kiss'??

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairyman's Review of "And Love Said No" Plus Bonus DVD, 19 Oct 2004
L. Clark "Hairyman - Sonic Yoda" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is currently my favourite album, EVER. This album doesn't have any bad tracks on it at all. The music is brilliant, the layout is spot-on and the pace is so varied.
HIM already make a brand of music that doesn't have a specific name (if you want you can call it "love metal" but it isn't really metal, its more grundge) and this greatest hits compilation really shows their talents. There are the heavy tracks fo the people that like HIM because they can seriously kick arse ("Right Here In My Arms", "Buried Alive By Love", "Your Sweet 666") and then there's the soothing and calm stuff ("Gone With The Sin", "The Funeral Of Hearts", "Pretending", "When Love And Death Embrace") and then there's the fantastic "in-between" stuff which really shows they can make fantastic music.
And then you get a great little DVD with the album aswell. Stand-out moments on the DVD are as follows: The fantasticly heavy rendition of "Soul On Fire" and when Ville makes this hilarious face at the start of "The Sacrament". Trust me, its funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow!, 4 Mar 2006
Chris (Worthing, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This is an absolute must buy for any fans of decent music! If you've not heard any HIM stuff before then this album is a fantastic place to start. It contains some magnificent tracks, such as Your Sweet 666 and Pretending, along with the classic singles like The Sacrament. It really is excellent all the way through, the sort of album you can play on repeat and never get bored with.
The great thing about HIM is that, no matter what mood you're in, you can switch their music on and it will still sound fantastic.
I might just add this... there are many tracks on their other albums which are just as good as those on this CD, so if you buy and enjoy, don't leave it at that. The individual albums are well worth the listen too!
A truly superb album from beginning to end. What can you do but give such quality 5 stars!?

5.0 out of 5 stars A piece of musical genius, 9 July 2004
HIM are undoubtedly the best metal band to come out of Finland. With their unique fusion of guitar riffs and heavy drum beats, along with heartfelt lyrics and Ville Valo's soulful, sensual, melodic voice, they have created their own brand of music, known as "love metal." So many bands have tried to follow in the footsteps of the quintet and all have failed to carry off the unique brand of heartache and heavy music quite like HIM. From the sorrow-filled And Love Said No at the beginning of the album, to the unasahmaedly beautiful When Love And Death Embrace as the finishing track, it is a musical masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE METAL, 8 Jun 2004
My brother got me into HIM when i borrowed the "Love Metal" cd which is an awesome cd by the way..so when the best of came out i bought it to try and get into some more of their songs and to be honest i was blown by it,the songs are beautiful,written about love and death,joy and sorrow i have to say i nearly cried when i heard "Join Me" i was so moved by it,my other fave tracks on this album are "Your Sweet 666","Solitary Man" and "Right Here In My Arms" but the whole cd is awesome if i could give it ten stars i would.Anyone with a decent taste in rock should buy this cd....Essential listening

5.0 out of 5 stars mind blowing!!!!!!!!!, 12 Aug 2005
hatty (oxford, England) - See all my reviews
i bought this album on a bit of an off chance i had heard both bueried alive by love and funeral of hearts and thought they were amazing so went out and bought and love said no....i was not dissapointed HIM have to be the only band i have ever heard of to be able to mix such amazing sometimes very heavy riffs with such heartfelt emotional lyrics...ville's voice is just astonihing he has the ability to do such a wide range of vocals. I went out straight away and bought all their other albums but i would say this is a good one to start with as it gives you the whole range of their talents...listen for yourself and see what im talking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best, 21 Oct 2004
Steph C (Loughborough, Leics, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
And Love Said No wasn't the first HIM album I bought..it was of course Love Metal. But And Love Said No tops them all off with it being their greatest hits.
HIM are truely my favourite band without a doubt. Ville has a voice like heaven, Mige and Linde are the best guitarists I've ever heard, Burton plays the keyboard like no other and Gas plays the hell out of the drums.
If you have never listened to HIM in your life then I suggest you go buy at least one album and be amazed by their beauty. When you have realised their greatness, buy a ticket to see them live as they truely are amazing!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the metal, 5 Sep 2004
By A Customer
I bought this CD after hearing several of their songs on Kerrang and being extremely impressed. The music is both haunting and catches the attention. This is a collection of some of their best songs plus their newest release (and love said no). Ville's voice is both compelling and haunting grabbing the attention and never letting go from begining to end. The music played by the other members of the band Burton, Gas, Linde and Mige are played extremely well helping to give the songs their haunting and catching melodies that often seem to have a classical influence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Defintely worth getting, 10 July 2004
By A Customer
This is a great introduction to HIMs back catalogue. I'm sure like many people, i only started liking HIM when Love Metal came out. So this is a good way to hear thier older stuff. The best songs are And Love Said No and 2 covers - Solitary Man and Wicked Game. There is not a bad song on this CD though. The DVD is a cool bonus and it shows me what to expect when i go see HIM live in October on thier UK tour! I cannot wait!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›