5.0 out of 5 stars Total Surprise !!
Published on 15 Nov 2006 by K. A. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars A surprising blend of influences
Published on 29 Jan 2006 by Mark Sutherland

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Surprise !!, 15 Nov 2006
K. A. Jones "Dik Rambone" (Aberdare, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs from the Crystal Cave (Audio CD)
Well, I must commence this report by admitting that I am not really a huge Steven Seagal fan. I'm aware of his genre of movies and have happily watched him beating the crap out of the countless bad guys in his own cooly delivered fashion. However, 2 weeks ago my good mate rang me and said he'd bought me an interesting birthday present for next Feb (2007). I guessed it would be something off-the-wall as this particular mate has something of a penchant for quirky gifts. When I enqired as to what my gift would be, he laughed and told me he had bought us tickets to go and see Steven Seagal in concert in Cardiff (Wales). I must say I was somewhat shocked as I had no knowledge that SS was a musician, and secondly that he would be playing The Corn Exchange in Cardiff (a very small venue).

However, I decided it could be fun to see the aging movie star belting out some non-descript tunes no doubt in homage to his ego as his star status continues to deminish as quickly as his waistline continues to increase.

In an attempt at getting into the spirit of the forthcoming event I logged onto Amazon and discovered that Big Steve had 2 albums for sale. Being as both were very inexpensive I ordered 'Songs From the Crystal Cave'and prepared to be disappointed. 5-days later my views were changed. The CD dropped through my door as I was stripping the wallpaper from the walls of my new house. A totally thankless task that I had been dreading since buying the property in July. I slipped Big Steve into the CD player and went back to my stripping.

Soon my attention was diverted from the walls and directed to the music belting out of the CD player. I simply could not believe that the music was the work of the man I knew as Steven Seagal. I quickly checked the CD sleeve and confirmed we were talking about the same man. To put it bluntly, I was totally shocked and amazed. As the album unfolded I was surprised at the different types of music that the big man was able to rise to. Certain tracks stood out as quite special, for me the 2nd track on the album - Don't Cry - was simply great, dynamic and emotive with some awesome guitar played by the burly baldy.

So, to cut a long story longer, my day of stripping simply flew by and I'm now a convert to Big Steve. I've ordered his new album and I must say that I'm looking forward to seeing him in concert.

I would recommend this album to anyone. It's entertaining and very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly lovely, 4 April 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Songs from the Crystal Cave (Audio CD)
I must admit, my expectations were not particularly high for this. Anticipating the type of gimmicky acting/music crossover more representative of the r'n'b genre, i approached with some trepidation. As soon as I heard the opening chords to 'Girl It's Alright' though, I was struck as if by some ethereal chop-socky blow to the nether regions. Like an awesome ninja, the great man has stealthily crept into my music consciousness and slit my musical appreciation wide open from belly to throat. 'Don't You Cry' with its wistful soft rock chords wielded to a samurai blade of a riff, coupled with the great man's surprisingly tender voice leaves the listener's emotions Under Siege. It's Hard to Kill this type of talent, though some of the more pretentious of the musical press have already tried. Like a wise master, SS is not karate kid-din on that he's serious about this musical business. As the album progresses and we march onwards into the Belly Of The Beast, he wields his musical influences as proficiently as he does his nunchuks, with indian drums and ragga prominent on 'Not For Sale' and 'Music' respectively, and we're On Deadly Ground as he moves into more familiar themes such as 'Jealousy' and 'War'. All in all a surprising masterpiece which will no doubt be overlooked at this years Brit Awards.
Steven Seagal made this album because he was Out For Justice...musical justice. Aikido you not, his spectacular guitar playing and easy breathless singing style will leave you awash with tingly feelings which will leave you slightly aroused. With this magnum opus he has avenged the death of modern music. Take 'em down Stevie...take 'em down to Chinatown

5.0 out of 5 stars A roundhouse kick of musical genius., 17 Feb 2006
This review is from: Songs from the Crystal Cave (Audio CD)
Steven Seagal has proved on Songs From the Crystal Cave that the transition from successful Hollywood star to musician can be bridged triumphantly. As an avid guitar player with his own rock band I always take an interest in guitar music most notably solo guitar work. I have been a huge Steven Seagal fan for many years now and after hearing that Steven Seagal was to release solo work I became instantly intrigued. Of course the album won’t be for everyone’s taste and will have little impact in the mainstream market however, what Steven Seagal has created is a guitar album for guitar players. Songs like ‘Don't You Cry’, ‘Better Man’, and ‘Route 23’ are extremely well written and conjure fantastical imagery through Steven Seagal’s obvious music playing talents. At 14 tracks long the album is without doubt value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars A surprising blend of influences, 29 Jan 2006
This review is from: Songs from the Crystal Cave (Audio CD)
I'm not sure why, but when I heard Steven Seagal had released a solo guitar album, I more or less immediately assumed it would be some kind of virtuoso affair with 10 minute solos, something I'd have been quite happy to listen to. Instead, I discovered an album full of blues and reggae, with influences as diverse as motown and asian music. The emphasis is on musicianship as a whole, and the tracks are well written without gratuitous guitar solos just because he can. It's well worth a listen if you're interested and have wide tastes, but it's not exactly a mainstream album by any means.

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching crystal cloth, 8 Nov 2005
This review is from: Songs from the Crystal Cave (Audio CD)
Look, this album isn't for everyone. Probably 90% of the people who own this album play electric guitar (myself included). It caters to a very specific market, and if you aren't impressed by viruosity, and need a catchy chorus to hook onto, look elsewhere. But as far as instrumental, progressive, "guitar-nerd" albums go, this is one of the very best.
I guess what make this album so magical is the abilty to paint a picture with the music. It's basically heavy metal guitar, with the obvious classical influence, but there is a lot of subtlety and color as well. Take the song "Strut". The title alone changes the whole atmosphere of the piece, recalling a distant place and time, hidden deep in our collective unconsciousness, unlocked and made real by Segal's transcendant playing. Throughout the record tympani, harpsichord, pipe organ, electric keyboards, and acoustic guitar are used to great effect to color the basic mood created by the heavy guitar/bass/drum combination. And the solos are the lynch pins- at once both mesmerizing and stimulating-convincing you that, if someone can play like this, anything is possible; the epic battles and myths that this music conjures seem all the more real, all the more vivid, all the more tangible. There's definately a sword-and-sorcerers vibe here, emphasized by the classical bent, and this will either turn you off or suck you in.
Another reason this album works is that it has all the elements of any classic record- it isn't too long, it has a very good ebb and flow to it, and it keeps moving. It knows what it wants to say, says it, and ends.What I consider the finale of the album is the breakdown in the second to last song, "Music". The marauding main riff gives way to a beautiful melodic, lyrical solo, as expressive and soulful as any in rock; this in turn leads to a stunning Bach-like harpsicord motif that just breaks my heart every time I hear it. The last song is a short classical guitar piece entitled "Dance". It is a reprise of the same theme used at the beginning of the album, but a little gloomier, a little sadder, with a wistful quality that recalls the same mood as the last scene of an epic movie, or the last chapter of a great book. It's sad that it is over, but it will be ready and waiting for the next adventure.
I like this album if you can tell. I'm not big into the shred-fest neo-classical pretentious 80's thing- I'll take Page and Clapton , thank you- but this album is special. I think Steven peaked on this one, I don't own any of his others albums, and don't see the need to. He said it all perfectly on this one. I've owned a copy of this record since the '80's, and as my tastes grow and evolve, I still come back to it every few months, sometimes years, throw it it, and drift away.

5.0 out of 5 stars very, surprised, 16 July 2007
This review is from: Songs from the Crystal Cave (Audio CD)
this is amazing. what a strange album. it has everything, but yet it has something very special. pop, reggae, ballad even a bit of rock. seagal has shocked me big time. this is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would have given 500 stars had it been an option, 28 Mar 2006
This review is from: Songs from the Crystal Cave (Audio CD)
I must admit, my expectations were not particularly high for this. Anticipating the type of gimmicky acting/music crossover more representative of the r'n'b genre, i approached with some trepidation. As soon as I heard the opening chords to 'Girl It's Alright' though I was struck as if by some ethereal chop-socky blow to the nether regions. Like an awesome ninja, the great man has stealthily crept into my music consciousness and slit my musical appreciation wide open from belly to throat.'Don't You Cry' with its wistful soft rock chords wielded to a samurai blade of a riff, coupled with the great mans surprisingly tender voice leaves the listener's emotions Under Siege. It's Hard to Kill this type of talent, though some of the more pretentious of the musical press have already tried. Like a wise master, SS is not karate kid-din on that he's serious about this musical business.As the album progresses and we march onwards into the Belly Of The Beast, he wields his musical influences as proficiently as he does his nunchuks, with indian drums and ragga prominent on 'Not For Sale' and 'Music' respectively, and we're On Deadly Ground as he moves into more familiar themes such as 'Jealousy' and 'War'. All in all a surprising masterpiece which will no doubt be overlooked at this years Brit Awards.
Steven Seagal made this album because he was Out For Justice...musical justice. Aikido you not, his spectacular guitar playing and beasy breathless singing style will leave you awash with tingly feelings which will leave you slightly aroused. With this magnum opus he has avenged the death of modern music. Take 'em down Stevie...take 'em down to Chinatown

5.0 out of 5 stars 9th Dan musical mastery, 14 Oct 2005
This review is from: Songs from the Crystal Cave (Audio CD)
For those who thought Tulku Steven Seagal's (or The Double S as his fans know him) talents only lay in incredible acting, martial arts mastery and herbal specialism, here is his understated entry into the world of music. The achievement within is testament to his humilty and focus. A guitar player for 27 years, here he duets with Stevie Wonder amongst others on 12 truly moving tracks which transport the listener to the centred realm that the Double S resides in. The listener enters the Cave of Crystal with Sensei Seagal and remains affected forever. The simple song titles such as "Music", "Strut" and "Dance" belie the depth and maturity of the Double S's musical missives. Another string to Tulku Seagal's many faceted bow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A roundhouse kick of musical genius., 17 Feb 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 6 Feb 2014
This is an excellent album , I bought it after hearing a couple of tracks on the tv in films .

Songs from the Crystal Cave
Songs from the Crystal Cave by Steven Seagal (Audio CD - 2006)