on 26 July 2010
We decided on these as Olympus is a good name, and they were the right size for what we wanted. We gave them to my son for his birthday as he has become interested in garden birds. We find our binoculars really brilliant for looking at the various things that roam around our garden. We thought they would come in handy too for taking to cricket matches, etc. The Olympus are really brilliant, easy to handle, not too big and come with a carrying case. The magnification (if that is the right word) is very good and the adjustment to fit all sizes of faces is easy too. He was pleased, we were pleased so what more could you ask for? Oh and not too expensive too! Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular
on 10 February 2012
These binoculars are very easy to look through.They produce a sharp, bright, and very natural looking image.Their minimum focus is around 11.5 feet which is not bad.The focusing wheel is a little stiff, but may loosen up in time.They have a chunky grip, and are a nice size to handle comfortably.They can be used with a tripod, which useful for star-gazing fans.The lens covers are very snug,so they won't fall off.They aren't attached,so you may lose them if you're not careful.The strap and case are adequate but I would have liked a side-pocket on the case to keep a tripod adapter in.
This is a great piece of kit for the price.
Had a slight accident a couple of days ago.Attached them to a mic-stand boom, as I wanted to hold them steady while viewing the night sky whilst sat in my semi-reclined office chair.The binoculars were too heavy for the boom, the whole thing toppled and crashed to the floor.
The mounting screw section of the bins was snapped in two,my tripod adapter screw was bent.That was the only damage.They are still functional.Which is fantastic.
I now have several dumbbell weights slotted onto my mic-stand to stop it happening again.
review image review image review image
on 23 January 2015
I love to walk in the woods and often see squirrels and birds at a distance nibbling on the seeds that people leave out for them on a fallen tree trunk. However as I approach them with my dogs, they all run for the hills. I don't take it personally.

With these binoculars I felt like Snow White, as if all the creatures of the woodland were close enough to touch. It was magical. The The glass is outstanding - the view was so crisp and beautiful and clear that they feel like ten times their value. I kept stopping people and thrusting my bins in their unsuspecting faces insisting they look at the magical woodland scene too, and their expressions quickly turned from mild/medium level anxiety at being approached by a nutter to complete joy and amazement at what they were seeing.

They're not a size that you could slip into your pocket, they're bigger than that. I know people often can't visualise dimensions to it's worth mentioning. They're not cumbersome though, and they're a perfectly manageable weight.

Eyepiece lenses got a bit steamed up as I was looking through them, and I had to wipe them clear several times, but it is January and it was very cold so it would be churlish to downgrade them for that.
on 3 September 2012
My husband and I have recently moved into the deepest countryside, and at our new home have installed a number of bird feeders. From the kitchen, we saw a large number of different types of birds come to visit us over the first few weeks - including Blue and Great Tits, Robins, Finches, Nuthatches, and a Greater Spotted Woodpecker! From the distance we were sat at, it was hard to see the birds in much detail, and my husband desperately wanted to get a pair of binoculars in order to see some of these beautiful birds in all of their exquisite detail.

Having trawled through a number of different items available on Amazon, the first thing that struck me about these Olympus binoculars was the low price (compared to other similar items) and the extremely positive reviews from users. I purchased them as a gift for my husband, and am delighted with the look, feel and the quality of the binoculars - they are simply excellent. Brilliant value for money, and arrived extremely quickly!

My husband loves them, a great gift, and they now accompany us on nature trail walks every weekend as they are as fantastic over longer distances as they are simply looking from the kitchen window to the bird feeders. Extremely easy to use, and a great buy.

Just to comment as well in relation to the case these come in, previous buyers have noted that they do not have a hard case and that the lens caps can feel a bit cheap. These comments are true, but by no means detract from how fantastic a product this is.
on 17 August 2012
We used these on safari in South Africa, 2 adults with a 7 year old and a 16 month old. The image is clear and bright. They are easy to handle. The wide viewing angle makes them ideal for children to use for locating birds and distant animals. Our 7 year old boy adopted them as his own (I will but another pair for myself). The 16 month old was also able to use look at animals with some help. He does now hold the binoculars up to his eyes and look at the animals, although they are too heavy for him to use on his own.
on 31 August 2012
The price seemed too good to be true but was still acceptable given the state of my bank balance.I rarely take chances but on this occasion I did.These binoculars perform just as well as many costing five times as much .A real bargain.
on 23 August 2012
Got these to replace a pair used on our boat - attracted by the manufacturer and by the good reports here. They came within two days using first class post. They are heavier than our last pair but they are well made and certainly appear robust. Very clear to look through and easy to handle and adjust. The lightweight fabric, but cushioned, case provides decent protection when they are not in use.

Now when another boat approaches we have a far better chance of telling if anyone is at the wheel!
on 29 May 2016
Just simply 'Wow' I have been after a new pair of bins for a few months, when I first saw these at £45 I ignored them as being too cheap to be much good, but after reading so many positive reviews I thought 'what have I got to loose?' well let me say it is possibly the best £45 I have spent in years! Great clear optics, not too heavy (for me anyway) honestly if you are looking to spend possibly hundreds of pounds on a new pair, STOP give these a try, you might just be as pleased as me!
on 21 May 2015
Fantastic for the discount price I paid. I think it was under £45. I wanted these for general use and to try out astronomy. I have previously tried a set of 8x20s and these Olympus blow them away. They are not light but the visual quality is great and I think 8x is perfect for hand held use. I was considering 10x but am very glad I decided against that. I can scan the sky with these and see some great views of constellations and other stuff (still learning the names). As far as I can tell there is no tripod mount on these binos. many binos provide a thread at the front. I am fine with that given they are 8x but I have knocked a star off for that reason. I will probably go for a 20 x 80 set to mount on a tripod and use these purely as hand-helds. At one point I was considering £250+ roof prisms (Bushnell or something). Glad I never went that way. These are basis, super clear, bright, and sturdy with a slightly rubberized feel. The money I saved will go on something else. If they were still at the RRP of £100 I might look a bit harder at the competition...
on 11 April 2015
as I don't know much about bins I took a chance because I have another pair which were double the price , and we're so disappointing, so I did a bit of research and made my mind up on these, I was not disappointed this time, so glad I made this decision, as I live in the country and do a lot of bird watching and alike, everything is so clear, these bins go everywhere with me and are not too heavy and so smooth to use, and for that price,would highly recommend.