5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Purchase
Published on 18 Oct. 2011 by boldonlad

3.0 out of 5 stars good value but NOT TRAVEL BINOCULARS!
Good value and great quality, however these were ordered as a gift for someone who had requested a set of travel binoculars. Before I even opened them I knew I would be returning them based on weight alone. They are substantially heavier than the Olympus silver 10x21 DPC I pair that I had to order as an emergency alternative. Great product, just perhaps not the best if...
Published 1 month ago by Cinnamonfoxy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Purchase, 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular (Electronics)
I have been birdwatching for more than 40 years and my well used 25 year old Swift Audubon 8x42 binos finally gave up when the focus ring became detached. I regarded these as perfect binos as they were sharp and clear at all times despite having almost daily, certainly weekly, use over that time. I did a lot of research on ebay and amazon and intially thought I would go for a used pair of Swifts on ebay, but each one went for over £100 for a used pair. After reading the reports on the Olympus 8x40 dpsi binoculars I decided £38 for a pair to be couriered to my home in spain was a risk worth taking. I`m pleased I made that decision. They are as crisp and clear as my old Swifts, rugged yet lighter. I have replaced the neckstrap provided with a wider one for comfort. The binos come with a soft but useful bag.If you are similarly researching which binos to go for, don`t reject these because of the low price. I thoroughly recommend these Olympus 8x40`s.

4.0 out of 5 stars Olympus binoculars, 30 Nov. 2011
Mrs. P. Phillips (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular (Electronics)
The binoculars were a gift for my husband. He was thrilled with them! They are compact yet powerful enough for bird spotting in our garden and nearby area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value for money, 13 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular (Electronics)
I did not read any reviews before I went out shopping for a new pair of Binos. I wanted to make up my own mind.

I visited 6 different shops and tested about 10 different makes. From the cheapest to Leica and Zeiss. I was prepared to pay anything as long as the quality and the image produced could justify it.

The most disappointing was the Bushnells. I tried 4 diffent pairs in the fist shop and the first two produced double vision. the other two could not focus properly. It was the cheapest part of their range but after 4 tries I lost confidence in their quality and wrote them off on the spot.
I tried a few other makes in the same price range but was not impressed. In another shop I tried the Nikon range and they were realy good, and at about 140 GBP a reasonable buy.

Comparing Nikon to Leica and Zeiss there were some difference in quality but only marginally. The sharpness was more or less the same but the periphery of the viewing field of the expensive German makes had some advantages.

The last of the 6 shops I visited had the Olympus 8x40 DPSI and I tested one on mid and long distances. The image quality was more or less the same as the Nikon ones. Image distortion at the fringe of the viewing field was may be slightly better on the Nikon but only by a very small margin. The Olympus cost 90 GBP compared to the Nikon at 140GBP.
I decided to think about it and did not buy anything until i returned home and found the Olympus at the Amazon site at just over 40GBP and then decided to take the plunge.

I have now had them for several days and had a chance to test them properly.
Pros:
1. The images produced are very sharp
2. The viewing field is over 8 degrees and makes it easy to find moving objects.
3. The focusing is very easy, from about 80 meters to 5 km ++ you hardly need to move the focus dial more than a few mm and it is very smooth. In fact the debth of focusing is very high - that is why some comments that it is 3d - that just means that the focus in front of the object and behind it is also in focus.
4 The distortion in the periphery is minimal and with the large wide viewing angle it has no practical downside.
5. It is very well build and sits comfortably in your hand.

NEUTRAL:

The light sensitivity is more and less the same a the naked eye. I have had a 7x50 bino and there you see more than the naked eye at night when the moon is out. The Olympus binos reproduce no advantage over the naked eye or may be just a few % more. It is therefore not recommended for night use.

Cons:
1. It does not fit in you pocket. It is a mid seized Bino but then again not too heavy.
2. It is not waterproof, so if you live in a damp and humid climate consider a Nikon (well only if you consider using it in pissing down rain or for nautical purposes - I do personally not- but for longer hiking trips it is an issue in the UK)
3. The neck strap is by some considered too thin - I actually do not mind because the weight is just over 700 g but I see the point.

Conclusion. This is by far the best buy I have tested. Super sharp, relatively light, great viewing field. Ideal for general purposes, bird watching, horse racing and the like, . In fact it is a steal at that price. Thanks to Amazon for delivering it as promptly as stated on their web site.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 12 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular (Electronics)
I received a pair of Olympus 8x40 DPSI bins just 2 days ago. They feel solid and well built. Weight's not a problem. In bright conditions the sharpness, brightness and clarity of image is amazing, and still excellent in low light. Field of view is very good. Chromatic aberration is none existent. There wasn't even a hint of colour fringing on a Mute Swan in poor light. I have owned Leica 10x42's in the past, and I'm sure these are just as sharp, definitely brighter, and with the plus of the porro 3D effect.
Now that is my view without glasses. They aren't as easy to use with glasses (just put them in your pocket).
I don't know how much of a problem fogging will be in colder weather, and as they aren't waterproof I won't use them in the rain.
They do need a better strap, but for the price these bins are an absolute steal. Outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good value !, 10 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular (Electronics)
These binoculars are very easy to look through.They produce a sharp, bright, and very natural looking image.Their minimum focus is around 11.5 feet which is not bad.The focusing wheel is a little stiff, but may loosen up in time.They have a chunky grip, and are a nice size to handle comfortably.They can be used with a tripod, which useful for star-gazing fans.The lens covers are very snug,so they won't fall off.They aren't attached,so you may lose them if you're not careful.The strap and case are adequate but I would have liked a side-pocket on the case to keep a tripod adapter in.
This is a great piece of kit for the price.
Had a slight accident a couple of days ago.Attached them to a mic-stand boom, as I wanted to hold them steady while viewing the night sky whilst sat in my semi-reclined office chair.The binoculars were too heavy for the boom, the whole thing toppled and crashed to the floor.
The mounting screw section of the bins was snapped in two,my tripod adapter screw was bent.That was the only damage.They are still functional.Which is fantastic.
I now have several dumbbell weights slotted onto my mic-stand to stop it happening again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, 28 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular (Electronics)
I'd put these binoculars up there with the Zeiss and leica's I've tried. They are a twentieth of the price and offer indistinguishable quality in real world situations. Really don't know how they do it for the price.
Olympus have a great optical tradition and it's reflected in these binoculars. Value for money just doesn't get any better. We're talking about pocket money prices for world class optics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ship watching, 30 Oct. 2012
Reddhead (Looe, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular (Electronics)
We live on a cliff top and wanted some binoculars for looking at the ships going by or seabirds. We even get the occasional seal or dolphin in the Summer. These binoculars were a reasonable price, I didn't want anything too expensive but wanted something half-decent that would let us see what we wanted to see without spending £300. These are good quality, they feel solid but are not too heavy to hold, they come with a nice padded case and I like the focus on them, it's crisp and clear. After reading all the reviews, I felt these were a good choice for us and fortunately, I made the right choice. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big John, 28 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular (Electronics)
I have a collection of binoculars amassed over the years and kept in three separate locations including the car. These range from 7X to 10-22X zoom including Nikon, Hilkinson, Canon, Tasco, Bushnell etc. While, hitherto, the 8X42 Wide Angle Bushnell had been my favourite for general travel purposes that changed instantly on receipt of these Olympus 8X40 binoculars which I regard as outstanding and with crystal clear optics. Am I alone in thinking that the quality of optics has improved greatly over the past thirty years?

In my view these binoculars would still be a bargain at ten times the price. Do not hesitate to buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow factor!, 10 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular (Electronics)
I really can't think what you would get extra by paying more for 8x40 binoculars. These are truly amazing. I already own a pair of 10x50, but wanted something a bit easier to take out with me. Unbelievably they outshine my others. They delliver a Crystal clear, steady image with pinpoint sharp focusing. I can manage to focus as close as 11ft. The 40mm. objective lenses let in ample light, to be able to use them in low light situations. My garden appears to be like a beauttiful 3-D picture pop-up book. The positive reviews helped me decide to choose these, and I am not disappointed. They really do have the 'wow factor'. Thank you Olympus for producing a quality product, at an affordable price, and Thank you Amazon for a wonderfully smooth and speedy transaction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dispatched and arrived ok, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular (Electronics)
Nice bins from a trusted manufacturer.

These were a thrird of the price I payed from my last pair in SA, not quite as good lens but still excellent

Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular